New tongue box - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
I'm curious; what is the actual inside hight of this box? Can it take a standard propane tank?
If you go to the link, the spec's say 18" deep, no it does not take a conventional tank. I installed a smaller tank since I only use propane in the winter, for my WaveIII furnace, while boon docking.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #16

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you go to the link, the spec's say 18" deep, no it does not take a conventional tank. I installed a smaller tank since I only use propane in the winter, for my WaveIII furnace, while boon docking.
I asked for the actual because, (as I understand it) the dimensions in the link are the external, not the internal, dimensions. The lid of that box is not flat. Can't see the bottom on the pix so, I don't know how much of the listed 18" is taken away. I'm curious because, after seen your setup in another post, I was considering this very box before I decided to make my own.

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
I'm curious; what is the actual inside hight of this box? Can it take a standard propane tank?
I just measured the inside height, 16" so I do not think a 20# tank would fit, you can see the 5 lb fits between the 2 group 27 batteries.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:00 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I see the Tongue box mounts on the frame and the Propane tank, at least on our rig, mounts 3" below the frame. I wonder about just cutting a round hole in the bottom of the box and still having the benefits of the box and the propane tank.

Norm
Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I see the Tongue box mounts on the frame and the Propane tank, at least on our rig, mounts 3" below the frame. I wonder about just cutting a round hole in the bottom of the box and still having the benefits of the box and the propane tank.

Norm
You are now talking about a tongue "cover". It seems to me it would be easier to make something out of aluminum sheets.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
I think some time back, Joy A had photos posted of a generator/tank box she made for her 13' scamp. It was made of alum diamond plate and popped rivetted together with a 15" x 39 tray on the bottom. She had some type of vent and a locking hasp on it, it might have been listed on the "scampers" yahoo group page I am not sure,
As a side note, I too was thinking of this tongue box and my smaller 11lb tank is 17 1/2" tall, I picked it up a campers wourld on sale 59.00
Old 07-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #21

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugermc View Post
I think some time back, Joy A had photos posted of a generator/tank box she made for her 13' scamp. It was made of alum diamond plate and popped rivetted together with a 15" x 39 tray on the bottom. She had some type of vent and a locking hasp on it, it might have been listed on the "scampers" yahoo group page I am not sure,
As a side note, I too was thinking of this tongue box and my smaller 11lb tank is 17 1/2" tall, I picked it up a campers wourld on sale 59.00
Actually that may still work, there is a ring on your tank bottom to hold it upright, could you not cut a circle hole in the bottom of the box and just let that part of the tank hang out below. It would help to keep it upright and it should make it fit the 16" in height.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tongue box weight

Quote:
Here is mine, from TSC. I did have an aluminum box but it was a little too big and heavy, since I'm adding an extra battery weight I went into weight saving to keep my t/w less than 300#
I look up your tongue box. Does it really weigh 21 lbs?

Norm
Old 07-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #23

I like this tongue box but I was wondering if this is going to work with my tongue jack, it's welded on the curb side a liitle farther back fromthe original, to enable it to swing up closed for traveling.
In reference to the tongue weight, we have a sport-trac/ford and Adrian was concerned but not much since we downsized the tank and we pretty much decided we would not carry the generator all the time and just have the battery for the12V, also the long hose that we run for the lp tank as we cook outside.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #24

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I look up your tongue box. Does it really weigh 21 lbs?

Norm
It does not weigh a lot. I had the aluminum tongue box TSC sells but it weighed about 10 lbs more. I just checked, it costs $249 and weighs 30#. But the problem with the metal box is the issue of batteries and possible shorting out. My battery boxes have exposed terminals. This issue does not exist with the plastic one. I sold it for $100 and bought the plastic one, an expensive lesson learned.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #25

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
I like this tongue box but I was wondering if this is going to work with my tongue jack, it's welded on the curb side a liitle farther back fromthe original, to enable it to swing up closed for traveling.
In reference to the tongue weight, we have a sport-trac/ford and Adrian was concerned but not much since we downsized the tank and we pretty much decided we would not carry the generator all the time and just have the battery for the12V, also the long hose that we run for the lp tank as we cook outside.
If I'm not mistaken, the swing up jack can swing down and the wheel raises up and it can be turned sideways to miss the box.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #26

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
It does not weigh a lot. I had the aluminum tongue box TSC sells but it weighed about 10 lbs more. I just checked, it costs $249 and weighs 30#. But the problem with the metal box is the issue of batteries and possible shorting out. My battery boxes have exposed terminals. This issue does not exist with the plastic one. I sold it for $100 and bought the plastic one, an expensive lesson learned.
At least, I'm happy to know that with mine I'm not paying much of the weight penalty - it's only about 3 pounds heavier than the (smaller) plastic one. I lined mine with foam so, not an issue with a battery if I ever put one in there. I actually lined it so jacks / wheel chocks / wrenches would not be banging around.

Quote:
Tapered tongue boxes should be perfectly fine with your jack being swung up for travel. I raise mine just enough t get it off the ground and than swing up - for one thing, the wheel portion doesn't go above the top level of the frame and even if it didn't, it still misses the side of it so I could swing it 360 if I wanted to. The issue may be; if the front of the box is too close to the lowered jack, it could impede easy operation of the jack crank handle.
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-07-01_16-57-51.JPG   Img_2011-07-03_13-49-00.jpg  

Img_2011-07-03_14-33-27.jpg  
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Andrew GPSMapNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #27

well today I went to the tractor supply and looked at the black tongue box, the thing just looks big , its black and the scamp is white, painting it? Nah I am only going to have the battery (1) and the smaller lp tank (11lb, 17 1/2" tall say 10" dia)., and the long supply hose to the 2 burner stove. Then looked at the alum diamond deal, 249.00 and its taller and seems over kill , then looked at a 18 x 18 x 24 alum tool box, good size but, well the lid had a angle iron welded in the center, preventing the lp tank from sitting in it,

never thought about the handle on the jack, guess have to check that out, thanks

Still going back to building some thing like Joy A's, wonder what that thing cost to build? would I have 250. and my time into it?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM   #28

Pennsylvania
Registry
Now to really confuse things- this one is deeper, the tank should fit
Buyers Products 1701679 Polymer Trailer Tongue Toolbox White
Attached Images