New tongue box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
New tongue box

While fixing up my trailer, I was looking for a tongue box. I wanted it to be a fair size and reasonably priced and could not find any that would fulfil both requirements so; Since my company has sheet metal equipment I made one for myself. It's 20" tall so, it easily takes a propane tank, jacks and several other things. It's made out of .06 aluminium. To keep things simple and labour to minimum, it's riveted. Now, I'm thinking that just maybe there is a market for it's duplicates. What do you think? To keep the price down we would have to make them in lots of minimum 10 and that takes a fair bit of expensive aluminium so, we don't want to just start making them and see what's happening. What do you think? Would there be any interest if we offered these for under $300 + shipping? Naturally, there would be no shipping charge if somebody would want it to pick it up in MIssissauga, ON Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Img_2011-06-29_10-44-49.JPG   Img_2011-06-29_10-46-49.JPG  

Img_2011-07-03_13-48-24.JPG   Img_2011-07-03_13-49-00.JPG  

Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Turned out wonderful! Tractor supply has one that shape, a member here installed it on the front.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks nice Andrew. BUT, I think financially you'll need to be more competitive to make it worth while. I can purchase a DeeZee tongue box for less than $200 in aluminum. Granted a 20# propane tank is too tall, but I'm happy with a smaller propane tank for the difference... I can fill it up the tank a lot of times for $100. That being said, there's a buyer for everything. If you're really interested in building tongue boxes, build an all fiberglass one that fits the Bigfoot!! Seems lots of Bigfoot owners are looking to buy/replace.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #4

Name: James
Trailer: 1975 boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Looks nice Andrew. BUT, I think financially you'll need to be more competitive to make it worth while. I can purchase a DeeZee tongue box for less than $200 in aluminum. Granted a 20# propane tank is too tall, but I'm happy with a smaller propane tank for the difference... I can fill it up the tank a lot of times for $100. That being said, there's a buyer for everything. If you're really interested in building tongue boxes, build an all fiberglass one that fits the Bigfoot!! Seems lots of Bigfoot owners are looking to buy/replace.
I just got a black poly one for $100. 18" high too!
jjinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #5

Ontario
Registry
Thanks for the comments.
Quote:
........I think financially you'll need to be more competitive to make it worth while..........If you're really interested in building tongue boxes, build an all fiberglass one that fits the Bigfoot!! Seems lots of Bigfoot owners are looking to buy/replace.
Anything aluminium that I found on this side of the border isn't cheap. Shipping from US is expensive.

Metal tongue boxes as a sideline are possible but fiberglass is not really our can of fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinc View Post
I just got a black poly one for $100. 18" high too!
Is it 18" inside?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 1977 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Metal tongue boxes as a sideline are possible but fiberglass is not really our can of fish.
Man, you could fit a *lot of fish* in one of those metal boxes!
Mark V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler
Registry
There probably is a market for them but I personally won't spend $300 on a tongue box. I tow with a full size chev pick up with a contractors box on the back so storage isn't really a problem. I went to Walmart and bought a Rubbermaid toughbox I think its called. That way I can spend my money on my tool addiction instead. Trailers are only an obsession at this point.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
How much does an aluminum box way?
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #9

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
How much does an aluminum box way?
About 23 lbs
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Turned out wonderful! Tractor supply has one that shape, a member here installed it on the front.
Here is mine, from TSC. I did have an aluminum box but it was a little too big and heavy, since I'm adding an extra battery weight I went into weight saving to keep my t/w less than 300#
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00737.jpg   DSC00738.jpg  

cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Well, that answers my post.http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ent-47064.html

However, I'm not looking for a tongue box but a tongue cover. That would allow me to fit 2 propane bottles and at least one battery in the tongue area.

I believe that most Bigfoot owners who have "lost" their tongue covers, are looking for a replacement.

Having said that, I like the TSC box. But looking at the inside picture, it probably won't have room for my battery.

Looking at the Bigfoot covers ... you have design a box or custom fit a cover that has 2 heights: one for the propane tanks, and than sloping down for the batters so that it can sit against the tongue jack without interfering with the crank. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/gallery/....php?i=31&c=10
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/gallery/...s&searchid=125

Regarding price: $300 is fairly hefty for a pre made box.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #12

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Hi cpaharley - I think I like that tongue box you posted photos of. Could you please give a bit more info about availability for mechanical nitwits like me? What is TSC?
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
here you go, the link should answer your questions and try a google search if not local.
TrailerStar® Trailer Tongue Toolbox - 1090781 | Tractor Supply Company
Old 07-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
here you go, the link should answer your questions and try a google search if not local.
TrailerStar® Trailer Tongue Toolbox - 1090781 | Tractor Supply Company
I'm curious; what is the actual inside hight of this box? Can it take a standard propane tank?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #15

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
I'm curious; what is the actual inside hight of this box? Can it take a standard propane tank?
If you go to the link, the spec's say 18" deep, no it does not take a conventional tank. I installed a smaller tank since I only use propane in the winter, for my WaveIII furnace, while boon docking.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #16

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you go to the link, the spec's say 18" deep, no it does not take a conventional tank. I installed a smaller tank since I only use propane in the winter, for my WaveIII furnace, while boon docking.
I asked for the actual because, (as I understand it) the dimensions in the link are the external, not the internal, dimensions. The lid of that box is not flat. Can't see the bottom on the pix so, I don't know how much of the listed 18" is taken away. I'm curious because, after seen your setup in another post, I was considering this very box before I decided to make my own.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
I just measured the inside height, 16" so I do not think a 20# tank would fit, you can see the 5 lb fits between the 2 group 27 batteries.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I see the Tongue box mounts on the frame and the Propane tank, at least on our rig, mounts 3" below the frame. I wonder about just cutting a round hole in the bottom of the box and still having the benefits of the box and the propane tank.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I see the Tongue box mounts on the frame and the Propane tank, at least on our rig, mounts 3" below the frame. I wonder about just cutting a round hole in the bottom of the box and still having the benefits of the box and the propane tank.

Norm
You are now talking about a tongue "cover". It seems to me it would be easier to make something out of aluminum sheets.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #20

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp and 1985 13 ft Scamp
I think some time back, Joy A had photos posted of a generator/tank box she made for her 13' scamp. It was made of alum diamond plate and popped rivetted together with a 15" x 39 tray on the bottom. She had some type of vent and a locking hasp on it, it might have been listed on the "scampers" yahoo group page I am not sure,
As a side note, I too was thinking of this tongue box and my smaller 11lb tank is 17 1/2" tall, I picked it up a campers wourld on sale 59.00
sugermc is offline   Reply With Quote