New Uphoulstry for dinettes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
CBG

Name: Cheryl
Trailer: scamp
United States
New Uphoulstry for dinettes

I am double posting this here and on FB for multiple views.

I have a spreadsheet out calculating the fabric necessary to make new covers for front and rear dinettes. Interestingly on ours the smaller dinette does not have back cushions, but I think I will make some anyway. That will be the primary sitting and I think a back cushion would be nice.

I read somebody purchased 16 yards of fabric. I am calculating 3.44 yards just for piping (cutting 4 in strips--can maybe cut smaller and save a bit) and 2.2 yards for the strips to make the 4 inch tall "cushion edges" around all the cushions.

What I am contemplating is doing the top surface, piping, and edge out of a cute print and then saving a few bucks by making the bottom surface of the cushions a plain canvas. Has anybody done this? Any regrettes?

Here's another thought. If we leave the big dinette bed down as a bed there's hardly any need to do either top or bottom of the bed cushions out of cute fabric.

What have people done and what have you liked or regretted?
CBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #2

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Per our previous 15 years experience with a Road Trek we don't use the large dinette for anything but a bed that we leave as a bed. For that reason, when we re-cushioned our Boler we went to a three piece 5" foam arrangement covered in removable white cotton-poly. The three pieces makes for easy removal and easier access to the storage underneath.
Our front, smaller, dinette is cushioned with some flare and colour. We chose not to use any piping.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (9).jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:22 PM   #3

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBG View Post
I am double posting this here and on FB for multiple views.

I have a spreadsheet out calculating the fabric necessary to make new covers for front and rear dinettes. Interestingly on ours the smaller dinette does not have back cushions, but I think I will make some anyway. That will be the primary sitting and I think a back cushion would be nice.

I read somebody purchased 16 yards of fabric. I am calculating 3.44 yards just for piping (cutting 4 in strips--can maybe cut smaller and save a bit) and 2.2 yards for the strips to make the 4 inch tall "cushion edges" around all the cushions.

What I am contemplating is doing the top surface, piping, and edge out of a cute print and then saving a few bucks by making the bottom surface of the cushions a plain canvas. Has anybody done this? Any regrettes?

Here's another thought. If we leave the big dinette bed down as a bed there's hardly any need to do either top or bottom of the bed cushions out of cute fabric.

What have people done and what have you liked or regretted?
We took out our cushions completely in the big dinette and put in a comfy mattress. Our cushions are in storage in case we ever want to sell the trailer. That way we'd have the original cushions. If you redo your cushions do them all as if you were selling it including a back cushion. No one wants to sit with their backs against the hard wall. Your trailer will have more value and more appeal that way. As far as canvas for the bottom of the cushions that is fine. Our 2012 motorhome came that way from Coachmen. It is a light canvas type fabric. For wear purposes we just switch them from one side to the other of the table. That way they wear evenly. Our cushions don't have any piping on them at all, just the top, bottom and the piece in between. I think the piping would be something that would be easy to tear off with people using the seats.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
CBG

United States
I really like the bright cheerful fabric for your front dinette. And I don't miss the piping on yours, either. We bought some fabric, and given what we have, I will include the piping, but I sure like the cheerful look of yours.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
CBG

United States
i am planning on a memory foam topper over the cushions... if that isn't comfy enough we might well go to a foam mattress cut to shape. we will just have to see.

re-sale value is exactly why I bought enough fabric to cover all the cushions--even though the bed dinette will likely never see the light of day.