Newbie Dumb Questions About Cleaning, and can I put something on back to hold a box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2015, 06:23 PM   #1

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Newbie Dumb Questions About Cleaning, and can I put something on back to hold a box

Hi there. Re: my Casita 2003 that I just purchased.

1) Looking up at my a/c it looks like the (styrofoam?) in there is kinda dirty. How do I clean the a/c from the outside? Should I hose it down or should I take it apart and clean it or neither?
2) Is there a filter I can buy for it? Like maybe a hepa filter to keep out pollen? If so, how do I install it?
3) Can I clean it with Branch Basics cleaner that is useful on everything? Or should I use some special kind of soap (it's relatively clean, but could use a GOOD clean to shine).
4) Can I wax it? If so what's best (and not uber expensive). Is it like waxing a car?
5) The blue swirly insignia thing is a little faded. If I want to fix that up or refresh it, is that hard to do?
6) The wdh and the sway bar and other stuff like that, I can't really store in the bed of my truck because that has other stuff in there usually. Can I attach some kind of rack to the back, and put a small steel box (like a smaller version of what work contractors bolt into the back of their F150's), and lock it to there, so I can put that stuff in it when the casita is parked?
7) I met a woman a few years ago who got her casita in GA I think, anyway she was camping in N Florida, and she had redone the interior beautifully. I'm pretty sure she has posted it here but for the life of me cannot recall. She had gotten rid of the regular cushions. She'd gotten a six inch thick mattress and cut it herself and then made custom upholstery that was so pretty (with velcro so easily removed). I think I might want to do something like this though I am not very domestic or good at sewing or any such thing so might have to hire someone. It made her camper look LUXURIOUS, plus, everybody has to either do something like that or buy foam toppers. But foam toppers are toxic and I'd probably have to buy a wool topper. And then you have to cart the topper around.

Any thoughts about all that?

THANKS
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Check out Southern Mattress, they make one custom fit for Casitas
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Orbital sells a bolt-on rear hitch receiver to mount a rack. Do NOT mount anything on a Casita rear bumper - it's only strong enough to hold the sewer hose (otherwise the spare tire would be mounted there.)

Generator Security, Casita Add-ons.. The Perfect Casita by Orbital Machine Works

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:53 AM   #4

Georgia
Thanks will check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 05-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Newbie Dumb Questions About Cleaning, and can I put something on back to hold...

Re wax, you might want to do a Google site search (blue bar at top, "search," down at bottom is the Google search). You'll turn up a lot of options, opinions, and helpful product recommendations already out there. There are three main categories of waxes: (1) regular auto wax, (2) marine specialty wax, (3) liquid floor wax (Zep). Each has advantages and disadvantages.

I use regular auto wax twice a year. It doesn't produce a high gloss finish on weathered fiberglass- more like a satin sheen. But water beads and bugs wash off easily, so I know it's doing its job.

Wax will improve the appearance of the decals, or you may be able to replace them. Scamp sells replacement decals; don't know about Casita. Removing the old ones is the hard part.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:38 AM   #6

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Questions

Jen There are no dumb Questions . this is how you learn I think every one here will help out where they can and agree. welcome to the best forum on the planet for eggs .
Old 05-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #7

Georgia
Thanks. I like the idea of regular auto wax. I'll get around to it eventually. For now I guess we will use some microfiber mits and gently clean it with soap and water, or branch basics and water.

What about the a/c up there? How am I to clean it? It looks kinda dirty inside the vents. Also can I put a good hepa filter inside or somewhere, for pollen? Especially in the fall w/ ragweed.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #8

Georgia
PS The hitch racks seem so expensive--I see also one can put a longer tongue on the casita for $900....sounds like a great idea for a far off day :-).
Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
Thanks. I like the idea of regular auto wax. I'll get around to it eventually. For now I guess we will use some microfiber mits and gently clean it with soap and water, or branch basics and water.

What about the a/c up there? How am I to clean it? It looks kinda dirty inside the vents. Also can I put a good hepa filter inside or somewhere, for pollen? Especially in the fall w/ ragweed.
You might want to look for one of the desktop/bookshelf air filters if the AC unit does not have a provision for sufficient filtration inside.

Bear in mind the AC unit does not usually move air from outside to inside. Any filter would be filtering the inside air which is recirculated. A small portable unit would do the same thing.

The liquid floor waxes such as Zep do a fantastic job of putting a shine on old badly faded and degraded (chalky & porous) gel coat. It fills in the grainy texture and helps provide a shine.

On smooth gel coat any fiberglass suitable auto polish (non abrasive) should provide some shine and make washing off dirt and bugs easier. Marine or boat polish is going to be more expensive and I'm not sure it is worth the cost.

I don't think any wax holds up for more than one season of sun and rain (or snow) but it may be that others know or use a marine polish they can recommend as being worth the cost. Or an especially suitable auto wax product.

Wax performs a couple of functions, makes things shine and prevents dirt and road grime from sticking and staining. Probably worth the cost and effort to get something on there.

Removing old decals 3M makes a rubber buffing wheel that goes in a power drill that takes them right off. Decal eraser. Very fast and easy. Little spendy but works well and saves a bunch of time.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:56 AM   #10

Georgia
Thanks, Rogerdat. I will definitely get it waxed soon. Looks like DH will have the job! :-)
Old 06-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Waxing is FUN work!
Cleaning you get to see improvement but waxing you get to see RESULTS! Greasing and checking stuff such as lights or tire air pressure and all that jazz you get nothing but a sense of "well that is done". But wax is all about "look at that".

Oh yes DH will probably enjoy that job.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote