newbie has a leaking roof vent - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Somewhere in the Lower 48
I would also add that back in February or March, I can't remember, I had an acquaintance in NH who had the same problem. As hard as I tried to talk him out of the "easy fix," he did it anyway. Well, it leaked on him again in July and he has now fixed it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
.it isn't an overly complex job or requiring a lot of tools or skill.
No it is not - when I did mine I spent more time cleaning up the frame of the vent of all the old caulking & who knows what else that had been put on it over the years than I did actually removing the old rivets and reinstalling them. The nice thing about the large escape hatch is that you can actually stand up through it making it very easy to get at all the rivets that need to be drilled out and then reset.

Suggest the OP buys his wife a good quality rivet gun for her old trailer as this will not be the first and only job a rivet gun will be needed for it.

As far as getting all the old caulking & other goop off the frame goes I tried a number of different products but found that once removed that leaving the frame heavily coated with DAP Silicone Be Gone overnight worked the best.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)