Newbie Scamp questions? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #1

Name: Heidi
Trailer: Shopping
Arizona
Newbie Scamp questions?

Hi -
I've been lurking around for a few months and am getting serious about trying to find a trailer. This will be our first trailer and I love the idea of Scamp or Casita b'c I'd like to haul with my 6 cylinder minivan.

I wondered if anyone could help me with a few questions:

- does anyone know if on a Scamp 16' that has the side dinette - can that dinette be converted to bunks? Ideally, I'd like to find a layout 4, but it seems as though Scamps are hard to find and lots have the dinette option.

- on the 13' Scamps that sleep 4 -- do any of you put a porta-potty in them? Ideally, I'd like to have a toilet, at least 4 beds and as small as possible so I can tow with my minivan. So a 13' with some sort of marine toilet seems like it would foot the bill, but I'm not sure if I'm being too naive to think that is a workable solution with kids in the middle of the night.

- I've seen some Scamps that have been renovated to remove the rod iron posts in the kitchen cabinets. I've also read that those posts are structural. If I were to buy one that was removed, could I just reinstall the posts??? Or would there likely be more damage that I'd be buying b'c of that mod.

- Lastly, are there any Scamp owners in Phoenix/Tucson/Flagstaff on this board that might be open to hosting me to tour their trailer? I'd love to at least see one b'f purchasing from an out of state listing.

Thanks so much for any help you can give!!
Heidi
Heidi044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Newbie Scamp questions?

We're not Phoenix, Tucson, or Flagstaff, but you'd be welcome to see ours (2008 13' Standard Layout 1) if you're anywhere near the White Mountains (Pinetop area). We use it sans toilet for four people (kids 10 and 13). Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Adding bunks to a side dinette version would require a custom design. Layout 4 is your best bet if you can find one. It has a larger galley, too.

And yes, the support bars can be reinstalled. If the roof has sagged a little you might have to use a brace to apply gentle pressure to restore the original shape so the screw holes line up.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
We have a porta potty -- love it! We use it at night mostly and try to keep it only for liquids (have a young child so this isn't always possible). We put it in front of the door at night and store it during the day. Using a dollop of the yellow Mr. Clean in the waste water at first use keeps odors at bay so long we can go a long weekend without emptying. Dumping is easy at any style of bathroom and is not disgusting with the Mr. Clean. The blue stuff makes me gag.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Like Darnelle we have the Porta-Pottie that came with our new 2011 Scamp. We started by using RV pottie chemicals but found (when we ran out) that laundry detergent such as Tide works just as well to keep down smells. We, too, use it only for #1 (it's just the two of us, no kids) at night. In addition, we put the used TP in a covered trash can. It's much easier to dump liquid with no paper or solids. Clean tank after dumping by swishing water and detergent (and bleach)and pouring it out. Put about 1/2" of clean water and some detergent/RV chemicals in the bottom tank and refill the top tank with clean water (for "flushing"). Some people "flush" by using a squeeze bottle of water to rinse the insides because they think the press-button "flush" does not do as good a job. With the two of us we need to dump about every three days. I made a toilet paper stand by using a brand new, unwrapped BOLMEN toilet brush and stand (99cents) from IKEA. It fits perfectly in the space under the front couch with the porta-pottie when not in use. Remember that these FGRVs can get damp inside so you might want to keep your TP wrapped in a plastic bag.

Now aren't you glad you asked?

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:44 AM   #5

Name: Heidi
Trailer: Shopping
Arizona
Oh! Thank you all so much!! This porta pottie is going to be a whole new experience! I really appreciate the info! Jon in AZ I sent you a PM.

I actually have 3 kids so hoping one will sleep on floor. I figure if I hate the porta-potty and we just don't all fit, I'll sell and start over with a bigger tow vehicle in due time. I just love my minivan so want to try keep it and get a smaller/no bathroom unit.
Heidi044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:59 AM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi, I have a 2014 16` side dinette and the side dinette, when converted to a single bunk, is a nice size, pretty long. If your kids are still young they maybe able to sleep head to toe. Just a thought. Carl PS Oh OH the Golden.
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
'Just some thoughts...

The idea of having the children sleep head to foot is a good one.

Some children LOVE to sleep outdoors in a tent. Of course it depends on their ages and interest... and the weather.

You might want to put the porta-pottie just outside the door in it's own "toilet tent" like this. Stansport® Cabana Privacy Shelter : Target Then it will be accessible all day/night.

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp