Name: Bernard
Trailer: 2007 uhaul ct13
Quebec
Mini split ive seen are 100$ or more...doghouse 600$

Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I am worried about only the 2500 BTUs for cooling and 1800 for heating on the dog house unit. In Texas I'm just not sure it would be enough. There may be some calculations for that on an RV but does seem slim. I'm still intrigued by the split unit though I have to admit.

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #31

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
2500 BTU'S for cooling IS NOT enough.

5000BTUs seems to be the standard window in size that folks use for their 13'-17' Fiberglas trailers.

I have 6000 BTUs in my Scamp 16-- when its in direct sun and about 90 outside and then I close all of my blackout shades, run an additional circulating fan, the inside temp is still about 80+/- depending on where you measure. However, it is "adequate" as the humidity is way down inside, the air is moving a lot inside, it's shady, plus just feels nice. 4000 wouldn't cut it in 16', 2500 definitely not....
Old 06-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #32

Quebec
I would think 2500 btu would be way enough for the condition i get up here in canada, considering i cool a good part of the second flooor of my house with 5000btu... Im not lookingto freeze thepkace but removing humidity and cool things down to be comfortable
Old 06-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #33

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Your right about being in Canada, that helps your case. Where you live in Canada, what are the "normal" high temps for the summer season?

Comparing cooling your house to a fiberglass trailer is not helpful. I can also cool a large section of my house with just a 5000/6000 btu's unit. Houses are typically very well insulated, probably more so up in the cold of Canada. The insulation in these trailers is almost non-existent as thin as it is. It's very similar to a large metal van sitting out in the sun, they heat up real fast in the sun and then take a lot of effort to cool down.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #34

Quebec
We usually camp in shaded area to keep things as cool as possible.
I actually never had a ac in a camper/camping setup yet.

I'm located in quebec and will trael south to places like vermont, maine, ny on a regular basis during the summer so the higher temps i get are around 35c (95f) in july.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #35

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P R View Post
Your right about being in Canada, that helps your case. .
LOL Ryan contrary to popular belief the snow in Canada does melt.
Funny as it may sound the places that have the most extreme cold winters also record the extreme highs in the summer months. For example the highest temp recorded in prairie province of Saskatchewan is 45C/113 F the same province also once had a record low of -56.7C/-68.8F but thats not the coldest temp ever been recorded in Canada either

Your right though that in the coastal provinces in the summer months are cooler just as they are in the US - temps in Vancouver are normally pretty close to those found in Seattle/Portland areas - with temps rising sharply the further inland you go. Not uncommon at all for temps to get into the low 100's/f in the interior of BC for example, even coastal Vancouver can creep in the 90's/F in the summer.

Few people in the interior of Canada would survive a summer without AC in their homes.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #36

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I grew up in Massena NY (on the Ontario/Quebec border) & my dad would not hear of A/C, either in the house or in the car. A/C is a want up north, not a need. At least, that's what dad's take on it was.

Frank
Old 06-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #37

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I grew up in Massena NY (on the Ontario/Quebec border) & my dad would not hear of A/C, either in the house or in the car. A/C is a want up north, not a need. At least, that's what dad's take on it was.

Frank
LOL well if you look at where Massena is located - not far from the Great Lakes & the Atlantic ocean on two sides of it -the Maine Coast to the East and the Hudson Bay to the North, one might expect that they would experience a bit cooler summer than someone living further away from such large bodies of water and the thermal flow from them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #38

New York
Yeah, well that was my dad, a frugal Scot. I'm Scot too, but have 5 window A/C units in the house, and of course in both vehicles. Heck, we couldn't buy vehicles without A/C nowadays. My hot rod doesn't have A/C, but lots of folks do nowadays.

Mom always wanted A/C...

Frank
Old 06-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #39

Texas
I went to high school and graduated from Massena High School from end of 1959 to 65 era. Left there in 66 to move to NYC.
small world.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 06-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #40

New York
Maybe you knew my older brother and sister, John & Maxine Alguire? They would have been a grade or two or three ahead of you. John was a basketball star in HS, and a popular fellow. I graduated in '70 from there. And yes, it IS a small world!

Frank
Old 06-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #41

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
Maybe you knew my older brother and sister, John & Maxine Alguire? They would have been a grade or two or three ahead of you. John was a basketball star in HS, and a popular fellow. I graduated in '70 from there. And yes, it IS a small world!

Frank
To be honest I had to look in the yearbook. We were in (dont laugh) Library club together but he was two years ahead of me. Back then only the seniors got the pictures in the books the rest were group photos. So I know we didnt know each other.

My dad was in the Border Patrol back when they did something. My brother Dave Anderson might be about your age or my other brother Bud. We lived across from the HS and then moved out by the beach.

Sorry to hog the thread will do anything else on private mail
Mike

If you Rest, You Rust