Newbie....what is ratfur... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #15

Name: Robyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Attachment 100483
We also have a 1984 Boler made in the plant at Midhurst, near Barrie, Ontario, during the eighties. We have owned ours since 1994 and all Bolers that I have seen from that plant have had the carpeting feature. Really enjoyed the product as it doesn't seem to sweat as much as does ensolite and has good insulating and sound deadening, and cleans easily just using a shopvac. It does seem to make our Bolers a little unique. Enjoy!
This is exactly it - this is what is on the walls. So now my next question. I am wanting to bringten up the inside of the Boler and I want it to match the surface in the "kitchen" section. Does this rat fur serve as insulation. I am thinking of covering the walls with marine vinyl. Should I not? Should I put the vinyl over rat fur to benefit from the insulating fuction of rat fur. Should I pull it all down and put some form of insulation between the fiberglass and marine vinyl.

We are lucky, we bought a boler in pretty good shape - her name is betty - so really all she needs is a little lipstick! With a 2 year old and a four year old, I am sure she is going to need some stain resistant treatment!

I would include pictures but she is in storage because she is going to be our familys gift from Santa - the four year old is desperate for a camper!

Also, links to previous step by steps would be so helpful. I have used the google search function but I keep posts post refurb but not instructions on how people did it!

Old 10-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Personally, I would learn to love the rat fur.

I don't think you'll get anything to adhere well to such a rough surface, and pulling it all down and starting over is a huge project- you have to remove all the interior components because the lining is applied before they are installed.

Rat fur is tough stuff and cleans up surprisingly well. I wouldn't worry about the kids. I'd be more concerned about the seat upholstery, actually.

To brighten the interior, you can paint cabinet doors, change curtains, install mirrors, add throws and pillows, hang a backsplash behind the galley,...

Old 10-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #17

Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
Washington
Registry
I keep wanting to "upvote" posts on here! Jon in AZ, one thumb up!

Thanks, DonnaD; I thought it was a technical term. (ha ha)
RIP to the term coiner; it's so apt.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #18

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
I actually like my rat fur. It is much warmer than a cold fiberglass wall when you touch it with your foot when you roll over in bed! You can Velcro things to it and it feels kind of cozy...
Old 10-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
I actually like my rat fur. It is much warmer than a cold fiberglass wall when you touch it with your foot when you roll over in bed!... and it feels kind of cozy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
...You can Velcro things to it...
Good point, though attaching and removing something in the same spot repeatedly can damage the rat fur. But that points to yet another way to brighten the interior: attach some bright cloth tapestries or printed designs to the rat fur using the hook portion of the velcro. As long as it's not too heavy and you don't plan to take it on and off frequently, it will stay put.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #20

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Our 2000 Scamp and most of them before and since, had the 'Rat Fur" on the walls and ceilings. That was glued over a double layer of "bubble wrap" that serves as insulation. The inside of that had a foil skin for a vapor barrier .
Old 10-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #21

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476361566.644833.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	100553
Keep in mind that this product is not the same as rat fir. It has a very short knapp similar to a top quality furniture material. I don't think that you could attach over it very effectively although we do attach Velcro backed pictures on it at times for decoration.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 10-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #22

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Our 2000 Scamp and most of them before and since, had the 'Rat Fur" on the walls and ceilings. That was glued over a double layer of "bubble wrap" that serves as insulation. The inside of that had a foil skin for a vapor barrier .
double layer? News to me
Old 10-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #23

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
double layer? News to me
Semantics... Two layers of bubbles between reflective foil barrier = one layer of Ray Foil.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #24

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Attachment 100553
Keep in mind that this product is not the same as rat fir. It has a very short knapp similar to a top quality furniture material. I don't think that you could attach over it very effectively although we do attach Velcro backed pictures on it at times for decoration.
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Spelling lesson:

"fir" is a tree. "fur" is the hide and hair of a mamal. The length and lay of the fur is the "nap"

Isn't english a hard language?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
[QUOTE=robynmacquarrie;612632 I am wanting to bringten up the inside of the Boler and I want it to match the surface in the "kitchen" section. Does this rat fur serve as insulation. I am thinking of covering the walls with marine vinyl. Should I not? Should I put the vinyl over rat fur to benefit from the insulating fuction of rat fur. Should I pull it all down and put some form of insulation between the fiberglass and marine vinyl.

[/QUOTE]

I am with Jon on this one. I would learn to love the Rat Fur. Camp in awhile, it will not take long.

Can not tell you how many people there have been here over the years who have jumped in fast and removed the rat fur only to wish after they fact they had not - due to the cost and time it took to replace it. Not to mention more than a few have had issues with the new wall covering they installed staying up on the walls after a short time.

When I first purchased my Scamp I also really disliked the Rat Fur. But once I added new curtains and cushion covers and kitchen accessories to brighten it up it became unnoticeable. At least to me. I also like the feel of it - particularly if your the party the ends up sleeping on the wall side of the trailer. If you ever camp in situations where you have a lot of condensation you will be happy you have rat fur on the walls vs vinyl. The headliners does not hold moisture.

As others suggest you can hang VERY light items on the headliner using velcro and some have used really small curtain hooks with success but others have found that hanging items will sometimes lead to the wall liner pulling away from the wall with time.

At the end of the day I learned to love the rat fur in my Scamp so much when I purchased my current trailer I was not at all turned off by the fact it had a marine headline on its walls in the bed and dinning areas, rather than the flat surface walls the same manufacture also offers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #26

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Isn't english [sic] a hard language?
More likely auto-correct did its nasty work undetected. I recently sent a PM in which "trailers" became "treadles," and my old eyes didn't catch it on the small screen. No edits on PMs either... LOL!
Old 10-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:

Isn't english a hard language?
That depends on if it is your first langue or your second, third or forth. And how long you have been using it.

Additionally as has been pointed out lots of folks are using mobile devises with little screens and old eyes - in which case auto typing can produce some interesting results.

As long as we can understand what the poster is saying does it really matter?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #28

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
As a courtesy to others, I would suggest taking a moment to read what's written before hitting "Post". Not sure why the reader should have to translate what is written into what is meant.