Newbie....what is ratfur... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Name: Robyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Question Newbie....what is ratfur...

Just bought a 1984 13 foot Boler. It has something on the walls that I am unfamiliar with. It's rough and like carpet. It's not shiny vinyl. What is it? Is it a good thing. Where can I find out rudimentary stuff like this?
robynmacquarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Generally, the term "rat fur" is the ubiquitous glued on carpeting which covers the interior of some fiberglass trailers. It basically there, like all of the various interior covering materials, to prevent condensation from forming on the inside surfaces, and to provide a little, (ok, very little,) thermal insulation, and a little bit of sound deadening, but mainly it is used to keep the daylight from showing through the fiberglass, which is translucent without some form of interior covering over it.

I don't have a Boler, but if what you see isn't carpeting, it may be a product called "Ensolite" which is often used in some trailers, and is also the same stuff backpack campers use for sleeping pads. Then again, it may be covered with any number of various products. I'm sure that someone with more Boler knowledge will probably give you more detailed information regarding your wall covering material, but "rat fur" is carpeting.

Welcome to the forum. You'll find answers to pretty much anything you want to know about on your trailer systems, components, upkeep, modifications, etc. on these threads.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Robyn!

"Carpeting" is perhaps a bit misleading. "Rat fur" is marine-grade headliner: lightweight, non-absorbent and mildew resistant. It has no backing and is not meant to be walked on.

The product Scamp uses, which fits your description, is a long-napped version, hence the nick-name "rat fur." I believe a member of the forum coined the term. Scamp has used it since the 80's.

When I search on "marine headliner" I mostly see shorter napped products, looking more like a Berber-type carpet, but also not meant for the floor.

As far as learning the basics, hang out here, read posts, search old threads, and ask questions. Lots of good information to be had. The "site search/google" option at the bottom of the search menu is the best way to locate old threads and posts on a topic of interest.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:14 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Rat fur was a forum members idea of what the interior covering material looked like. It is just a bit of silly nonsense
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynmacquarrie View Post
Just bought a 1984 13 foot Boler. It has something on the walls that I am unfamiliar with. It's rough and like carpet. It's not shiny vinyl. What is it? Is it a good thing. Where can I find out rudimentary stuff like this?

Right here on this forum

BTW, the explanations for the term ratfur given above are very good.
But of course some people have a problem with rodents getting in their campers, in which case the term ratfur has a much more literal meaning.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:39 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by robynmacquarrie View Post
Just bought a 1984 13 foot Boler. It has something on the walls that I am unfamiliar with. It's rough and like carpet. It's not shiny vinyl. What is it? Is it a good thing.
It does not sound like a wall covering that came stock in Boler's. Sounds like a previous owner added it.

The Rat fur found in Scamps is not rough and not at all like a carpet. As others have indicated its a marine grade headliner very similar to what you will find in auto's as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
It does not sound like a wall covering that came stock in Boler's. Sounds like a previous owner added it.

The Rat fur found in Scamps is not rough and not at all like a carpet. As others have indicated its a marine grade headliner very similar to what you will find in auto's as well.
Hi: Carol H... By the 1980's Boler had indeed changed to the Scamp type Marine headliner material to cover and insulate the interior. Since it was a mousey brown/grey it came to be known as "Rat fur".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:09 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1476100160.853512.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	100483
We also have a 1984 Boler made in the plant at Midhurst, near Barrie, Ontario, during the eighties. We have owned ours since 1994 and all Bolers that I have seen from that plant have had the carpeting feature. Really enjoyed the product as it doesn't seem to sweat as much as does ensolite and has good insulating and sound deadening, and cleans easily just using a shopvac. It does seem to make our Bolers a little unique. Enjoy!
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Attachment 100483
We also have a 1984 Boler made in the plant at Midhurst, near Barrie, Ontario, during the eighties. We have owned ours since 1994 and all Bolers that I have seen from that plant have had the carpeting feature. Really enjoyed the product as it doesn't seem to sweat as much as does ensolite and has good insulating and sound deadening, and cleans easily just using a shopvac. It does seem to make our Bolers a little unique. Enjoy!
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Thanks James and Alf as the old saying goes you learn something new every day.

Was it the Midhurst plant only that used the headliner?

Have not see it in any of the ones produced on this side of the country.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Ensolite is a closed cell foam about 1/4 inch thick with a tough white vinyl like coating toward the inside. Glued to the inside wall of older Scamps. This is "elephant hide", as opposed to the fuzzy cloth marine headliner known as "rat fur" which covers the inside wall of later Scamps.

Both as noted prevent light from shining through, which avoids providing a magic lantern show to the campground as you put your PJ's on at night. Also insulation which just like those foam can covers prevents inside wall from sweating condensation due to temp difference inside and outside. Rat fur has a reflective sort of tough bubble wrap kind of backer as insulation. Ensolite being foam is one piece.

I think the reflectix and rat fur headliner would be easier to apply to the curved corners than elephant hide ensolite foam. But ensolite was invented for NASA so elephant hide is way cool. (read my info block to see why I say that :-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:21 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Casitas have "carpet" on the walls.

MANY a mice gave their life for my 13' Scamp! But we love the "Rat fur". I just have to put a barrier between the walls and my wife when we're sleeping. She can just FEEL the ratfur come alive and the mice "scamp"ering across our bed whilst we're sleeping!! Mice ghosts wanting their hides back!! Yes.... but a small price to pay for Scamping.

OHHH ok...I'm kidding
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Rat fur was a forum members idea of what the interior covering material looked like. It is just a bit of silly nonsense
Not silly nonsense at all.

A bit of Rat Fur history. A number of years ago, we had a valued member here, Pete Dumbleton. He full-timed in a 13' Scamp... with three rats (check out his avatar). The white kind, not the black icky kind. Pete coined the name "rat fur" when it came to the marine headliner material Scamp uses.

Pete provided lots of good information and was a warm and caring person to other all molded towable owners. Pete has since passed away from cancer... about 6 or 8 years ago. But the term Rat Fur continues on.

So, while you may think of Willard... I prefer to fondly remember Pete Dumbleton when I hear that term of endearment about the fuzzy walls.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Thanks for that, Donna. I had never heard the part about traveling with real, live rats!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #14

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
Thanks Donna, Another Scamping mystery solved - and a very nice story!
Old 10-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #15

Name: Robyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Attachment 100483
This is exactly it - this is what is on the walls. So now my next question. I am wanting to bringten up the inside of the Boler and I want it to match the surface in the "kitchen" section. Does this rat fur serve as insulation. I am thinking of covering the walls with marine vinyl. Should I not? Should I put the vinyl over rat fur to benefit from the insulating fuction of rat fur. Should I pull it all down and put some form of insulation between the fiberglass and marine vinyl.

We are lucky, we bought a boler in pretty good shape - her name is betty - so really all she needs is a little lipstick! With a 2 year old and a four year old, I am sure she is going to need some stain resistant treatment!

I would include pictures but she is in storage because she is going to be our familys gift from Santa - the four year old is desperate for a camper!

Also, links to previous step by steps would be so helpful. I have used the google search function but I keep posts post refurb but not instructions on how people did it!
robynmacquarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
Personally, I would learn to love the rat fur.

I don't think you'll get anything to adhere well to such a rough surface, and pulling it all down and starting over is a huge project- you have to remove all the interior components because the lining is applied before they are installed.

Rat fur is tough stuff and cleans up surprisingly well. I wouldn't worry about the kids. I'd be more concerned about the seat upholstery, actually.

To brighten the interior, you can paint cabinet doors, change curtains, install mirrors, add throws and pillows, hang a backsplash behind the galley,...
Old 10-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #17

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
I keep wanting to "upvote" posts on here! Jon in AZ, one thumb up!

Thanks, DonnaD; I thought it was a technical term. (ha ha)
RIP to the term coiner; it's so apt.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #18

Name: Jan
Trailer: '96 Scamp 5th Wheel
Texas
I actually like my rat fur. It is much warmer than a cold fiberglass wall when you touch it with your foot when you roll over in bed! You can Velcro things to it and it feels kind of cozy...
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
I actually like my rat fur. It is much warmer than a cold fiberglass wall when you touch it with your foot when you roll over in bed!... and it feels kind of cozy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janb313 View Post
...You can Velcro things to it...
Good point, though attaching and removing something in the same spot repeatedly can damage the rat fur. But that points to yet another way to brighten the interior: attach some bright cloth tapestries or printed designs to the rat fur using the hook portion of the velcro. As long as it's not too heavy and you don't plan to take it on and off frequently, it will stay put.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Our 2000 Scamp and most of them before and since, had the 'Rat Fur" on the walls and ceilings. That was glued over a double layer of "bubble wrap" that serves as insulation. The inside of that had a foil skin for a vapor barrier .
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote