No change closet shelves - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Name: Handley
Trailer: Scamp
New York
No change closet shelves

Here is how I put shelves in my closet with no holes drilled.
Attached Thumbnails
parts.jpg   set up.jpg  

Handley Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Yup, that works. Looks good.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #3

Name: Barbara
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13
Alaska
Registry
Very Nice!!!! What year Scamp is this? And will you share your "pattern" with us?
BC Scamper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:12 AM   #4

New York
It is a 1983 basic Scamp. Not much pattern to the shelf arrangement. Just a few sticks cut to fit and 3 pieces of 1/4 inch plywood for the shelves. Sort of like a "Chinese Puzzle". I made the supports and then custom fit the plywood to sit on the supports. Only took 20 minutes or so.

The bottom plywood sits on top of the wheel well and lifts up to give access to the little space below. The rest are spaced to have room for a pair of plastic crates sort of like drawers. You could have any number of shelves.

I am working on a counter arrangement where the upper bunk in front went but it is not finished yet. Again a "Chinese Puzzle" that is removable.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Handley, I like this idea very much! Thank you. How do the support frames go together? Could not tell exactly from your picture, I assume the longer legs go in the front for the deeper well.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #6

New York
Yes, the longer support is in the front and rests on the wood between the closet and the wheel well. The rear support has a stick glued and screwed across the bottom so as to cantilever out over the space between the side of the closet and the edge of the wheel well and support the post there. The shelves hold the posts out against the closet sides. I got fancy and made cuts in the shelves to fit around the posts. If you can live with a space around the edge, the shelves will be easier to make and instal.

I made the support parts, and then cut the shelves to fit. Note that the outside of the shell is curved so the posts have to be set in a bit. The middle shelf support extends out to touch the wall.

When we went to Florida this past winter, I had a "mickey mouse" set-up to hold the plastic crates I put in that space. The crates slid on rails and jamming was a PITA. This system works much better and is even lighter. Also with the plywood shelf on the wheel well, that space is more useable and there is a hidden space under it.

I guess I will have to make some engineered drawings for the less handy folks.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:22 PM   #7

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Great work Handley Jackson!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp