No front dinette on Scamp 16' floorplan #4, why??????? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-05-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Name: Luke
Trailer: Casita
Upper Midwest
No front dinette on Scamp 16' floorplan #4, why???????

Does anyone know why scamp doesn't make a 16' floorplan #4, with a front dinette, that can still change into a bunk? It seems like that would be the ultimate setup for a family of 4 who need a bathroom. Also, that would be great for a family of 4 who will later be a family of 2, once the kids go off to college. Thoughts?

http://www.scamptrailers.com/showroo...-trailers.html
lk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lk123 View Post
Does anyone know why scamp doesn't make a 16' floorplan #4, with a front dinette, that can still change into a bunk? It seems like that would be the ultimate setup for a family of 4 who need a bathroom. Also, that would be great for a family of 4 who will later be a family of 2, once the kids go off to college. Thoughts?
L,
That is just too logical! Companies that listen to customers are far and few!
Not many are left these days.
But, that is a great idea! Maybe, Norm knows the answer to your question.
Please keep asking good questions!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #3

Upper Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut501 View Post
L,
That is just too logical! Companies that listen to customers are far and few!
Not many are left these days.
But, that is a great idea! Maybe, Norm knows the answer to your question.
Please keep asking good questions!
Thanks,
Thanks Carl. I just don't get it either. That would literally be the best layout ever!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #4

Upper Midwest
FYI - I emailed scamp to see if it would be possible. I will let everyone know what they tell me.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Likely reason is need for different molds for the front area. Scamp probably decided it isn't worth the upfront cost, especially since they already make layout 6, with a side dinette & full bath. They do offer a front dinette in the deluxe version, I think.

There are plenty of people who have modified the bunks into a dinette. I can understand that one would be reluctant to start cutting into a brand new trailer, though. If it's what I really wanted, I'd look for a nice used one and cut away!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #6

Upper Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Likely reason is need for different molds for the front area. They do offer a front dinette in the deluxe version, I think.

There are plenty of people who have modified the bunks into a dinette. I can understand that one would be reluctant to start cutting into a brand new trailer, though. If it's what I really wanted, I'd look for a nice used one and cut away!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
I hear you. The used ones are just so difficult to find.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question Have you checked out the Scamp Deluxe Models?

Quote:
Does anyone know why scamp doesn't make a 16' floorplan #4, with a front dinette, that can still change into a bunk?
Scamp DOES make a 16' "floorplan #4" with a front dinette that changes into a bunk. It is the Scamp 16' Deluxe floorplan A.

Scamp 16' DELUXE Trailers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamptrailers.com
The side bathroom allows the trailer to sleep four people
The Scamp "standard" version is just that: Standard components assembled in known procedures that do not interrupt the regular flow of the standard assembly line. They do not have a mold for fiberglass front dinette seats.

The Scamp "Deluxe" version is for those builds that depart from "normal operating procedure."
Old 08-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #8

Upper Midwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Scamp DOES make a 16' "floorplan #4" with a front dinette that changes into a bunk. It is the Scamp 16' Deluxe floorplan A.

Scamp 16' DELUXE Trailers

The Scamp "standard" version is just that: Standard components assembled in known procedures that do not interrupt the regular flow of the standard assembly line. They do not have a mold for fiberglass front dinette seats.

The Scamp "Deluxe" version is for those builds that depart from "normal operating procedure."
Does it for sure change into a bunk though?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I don't know of any front dinette of any manufacture that converts into a bunk bed. It just becomes a single bed for 1. And is usually shorter then the regular bunk.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:32 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I suppose one could tear into it and turn that delux front dinette into a bunk bed. Would be sort of short due to the cupboard on the street side.

You know that would be pretty slick but I'm pretty sure it would have to be couch/bunk OR dinette/1 bed by removing the top bunk if designed the same as a Scamp top bunk to hinge off of the front wall. I think the top bunk would be in the way of using as a dinette.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:59 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I think the top bunk would be in the way of using as a dinette.
I think I recall seeing an owner mod posted on this forum in which they left the hinged upper bunk in place, opened up the center of the bench over the footwell, and redid the bottom cushion in 3 or maybe 4 pieces. A small pedestal table fit in front of the sofa back/upper bunk and lowered to bridge the center part of the bench to convert back to a bed.

I'm pretty sure it was a 13' Scamp, or maybe an older Boler. I don't know if this would work as well in a 16' because in pictures it looks like the bathroom in layout #4 sticks out further than the kitchen cabinets in the 13' layout #1. Access to the street side seat in dinette mode would be the problem.

You may be up against the reality that in trying do everything, you don't do anything very well.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The Escape 17B has a front dinette that converts to bunks, a rear dinette that converts to a bed for 2 and a side bathroom. Really good for 4.
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Does it for sure change into a bunk though?
I personally do not know, but for them to advertize that it will sleep 4 on their website leads me to believe that it would.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The bunk on a 17B is an option. Otherwise the front dinette converts to a single bed and the rear dinette to a double.
When I camp with my buddy, I give him the double and I sleep comfortably in the single.
If you are looking used, you would have to look for one that has the bunk. It's not something that can be added later.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
If not the deluxe layout B or standard layout 6 with the side dinette would be an easy mod to make a bunk on a "straight" wall.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I personally do not know, but for them to advertize that it will sleep 4 on their website leads me to believe that it would.

The floor plan that sleeps four is the standard layout #4, with the sofa/bunk in front. The OP was inquiring about the deluxe floor plan A with the front dinette. Unfortunately, that dinette does not make into bunks, so it only sleeps three (and person 3 had better be a child, since the dinette does not span the full width of the trailer).

Returning to the OP's original question… How do you get a trailer that will sleep four with a bathroom when the kids are along, and then, without buying a new trailer, have a trailer that has a dinette for two and a permanent bed for empty-nesters? (I hope I am understanding the question correctly.) In my mind the lightest, least expensive way to do that is with a Scamp standard layout 4. Use it as it comes from the factory until the children are gone. Then remove the upper bunk and convert the front to a dinette (lots of threads on that in this forum). You can easily have both arrangements in the same trailer. Trying to have them all at the same time is where it gets complicated.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:05 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Humm, okay I'm not a woodworker, but I think you CAN have it all. It would start with leaving the back cushion attached to the front of the trailer. It would make the front dinette seating pretty narrow, but doable. Cut out the center section and rework so it would accept a board to reconvert to a bed. Reframe as needed. Cushions to fit would need to be custom made. Small removable table in the middle of the cut out section could be used as needed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #18

Arizona
Registry
Funny how you'll be talking about something (in a theoretical sort of way) and then it unexpectedly shows up…

Happened to see this photo in a unit for sale… pretty much what you were describing, Donna.

Name:   82kc6.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  9.5 KB

In the 16'er, the side bath is going to make it hard to access the streetside seat - you'll have to move the table a bit to get in and out.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Ever though of a Uhaul VT-16?
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Funny how you'll be talking about something (in a theoretical sort of way) and then it unexpectedly shows up…

Happened to see this photo in a unit for sale… pretty much what you were describing, Donna.
Great minds think alike
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp