Norcold AC/DC refrigerator installation - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I ran the test Jim suggested with the voltmeter and my charge line from the tow vehicle easily ran the fridge and had enough power left over to charge the battery. I turned off all loads to the battery for a few hours, measured the voltage, turned on the fridge, measured the voltage (voltage on the battery went down), then hooked up the tow vehicle with the fridge still running and the voltage read the highest of all the readings.

What is the voltage with the vehicle running and the refrigerator on?

Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #16

Name: kenny
Trailer: Bigfoot 13'
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
You need a really heavy gauge wire from the tow vehicle alternator to the trailer if you want to run the fridge and charge the battery at the same time. As I mentioned above, a smaller wire gives too much voltage drop and the battery won't charge.
I am going to use your advice, Tom and Jim; I don't know the wire size going to the battery from the tow v. I think it goes first, into the control unit, under the seating area, and then back out to the battery, up front. can ( or should ) I run a wire directly from the trailer 7 pin, to the battery? I have changed, all interior and exterior lights to led. I have installed a 12v outlet next to the electric control. I would rather use the refer, on 12v, than gas, while driving!

Later Kenny

Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think Thomas was referring to the wire in your tow vehicle from the engine compartment back to the trailer harness. It needs to be substantial to eliminate voltage drop. On the other hand, if you chill down your refer on a/c or propane prior to towing, it should remain cold for at least 4 hours before you will see any change. I'd suggest you install a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer unit and mount a sensor inside the refer. You can then monitor the temperature and once it starts to rise turn the refer back on. In other words you may only need to chill it minimally towing after it gets cold.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #18

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think Thomas was referring to the wire in your tow vehicle from the engine compartment back to the trailer harness. It needs to be substantial to eliminate voltage drop. On the other hand, if you chill down your refer on a/c or propane prior to towing, it should remain cold for at least 4 hours before you will see any change. I'd suggest you install a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer unit and mount a sensor inside the refer. You can then monitor the temperature and once it starts to rise turn the refer back on. In other words you may only need to chill it minimally towing after it gets cold.
Right. You need more than 14.5 volts at the battery to charge it fully.

Tags
refrigerator