Oak upgrade interior on 16' Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Oak upgrade interior on 16' Scamp?

Hello Fiberglass RVers,
Is there anyone with knowledge about converting a 16' Scamp (layout 6) that came without the factory oak interior upgrade into one with the upgrade?? This 16' Scamp (2007 model) came only with oak cabinent doors and I would really like the whole factory oak interior upgrade appearance. I realize it could be custom converted by installing paneling, oak cabinentry, etc. but is there any aftermarket kits or any information available to make the task easier or less expensive? Any information on this will be greatly appreciated. Happy RVing w/thanks, don
djtriceflt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Don,
Might be easier to haul it to Backus and get a redo, or tear everything out make templates and re install the oak...........easier? depends on how much time you have, less expensive depends on DIY or quotes.........but no i know of no aftermarket kit for the upgrade and for information on redoing there is no better forum than this, this forum is filled with all kinds of ideas, how to, ect
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

Florida
Registry
I Like the comments

Hambone, I appreciate that info. I like both your ideas , esp. making templates which I may consider. Maybe, slowly over time doing sections and eventually achieving desired results. I do have some woodworking and cabinentry building experience so that should help plus there is a great supplier of all kinds of veneers, ply and hardwoods that the boaters around here use. But, like you said it would really be sweet just to pick her up from Scamp already done! Thanks, don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Don,
Might be easier to haul it to Backus and get a redo, or tear everything out make templates and re install the oak...........easier? depends on how much time you have, less expensive depends on DIY or quotes.........but no i know of no aftermarket kit for the upgrade and for information on redoing there is no better forum than this, this forum is filled with all kinds of ideas, how to, ect
Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The only time I've heard anyone make this kind of change, they started with a gutted trailer. There are two trailers where the fiberglass cabinetry was surfaced in wood by gluing venear over the top. In both cases, the look was great. But, what a lot of work! If you don't like the white fiberglass, have you considered painting it? No one says it's got to stay white. Pick a color, and your trailer would be uniquely your own.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #5

Florida
Registry
Painting might work!

Ms. Donna D , That is another idea I had not thought of. Yes, the white fiberglass reminds me of a boat which is not so bad if out on the water but warm oak colors really are more visually appealing to me. Many of my younger friends, and some of my older ones, think that oak is old fashioned. Well so am I! Maybe an oak color match with some good bonding apoxy paint? huuuuuuuuuumm...?? Thank You for that!
Happy Scamping,
don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The only time I've heard anyone make this kind of change, they started with a gutted trailer. There are two trailers where the fiberglass cabinetry was surfaced in wood by gluing venear over the top. In both cases, the look was great. But, what a lot of work! If you don't like the white fiberglass, have you considered painting it? No one says it's got to stay white. Pick a color, and your trailer would be uniquely your own.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Hello Fiberglass RVers,
Is there anyone with knowledge about converting a 16' Scamp (layout 6) that came without the factory oak interior upgrade into one with the upgrade?? This 16' Scamp (2007 model) came only with oak cabinent doors and I would really like the whole factory oak interior upgrade appearance. I realize it could be custom converted by installing paneling, oak cabinentry, etc. but is there any aftermarket kits or any information available to make the task easier or less expensive? Any information on this will be greatly appreciated. Happy RVing w/thanks, don
How about an antiquing kit, it is a realistic wood graining kit which has a base coat of paint then graining ink, you could then use the real oak doors and any additional cabinets could be made from a sheet of oak veneer plywood. notice that the bench bases are covered with ratfur which could be used also on the sides of the cabinets if you wanted to just veneer the fronts. Also an oak table replacement or a stove cover would go a long ways toward the look you seek....
click on the photos for a closer look, this is a deluxe oak interior, with several obvious changes.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp pictures 020.jpg   Pic011.JPG  

Pic013.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're more than welcome Don. But, remember... we wanna see pictures
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:50 PM   #8

Florida
Registry
Fantastic!

Floyd,
Wow, that is really nice! Yes sir, I definitely would prefer that! Thanks for the photos and the ideas. Everyone has had good comments but your photos really show what can be done along with the antiquing paint possibility. I can see where the white actually gives a nice accent if the woodwork is placed correctly and the 'ratfur' would work as well to agree with what is already in there. Thanks Indeed. That is a very nice setup you have there, Sir! Regards, don
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
How about an antiquing kit, it is a realistic wood graining kit which has a base coat of paint then graining ink, you could then use the real oak doors and any additional cabinets could be made from a sheet of oak veneer plywood. notice that the bench bases are covered with ratfur which could be used also on the sides of the cabinets if you wanted to just veneer the fronts. Also an oak table replacement or a stove cover would go a long ways toward the look you seek....
click on the photos for a closer look, this is a deluxe oak interior, with several obvious changes.

Tags
scamp