Oh my door.. with pictures - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Bob and Eddie,

My most recent post was addressed to Tom..but it was intended for you all. Hope no one feels slighted. Your input, ideas, and insights are now, as they have been in the past year, invaluable to me.

Thank you all,

Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #16

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Good suggestions Tom, thanks for the links.. For someone in my situation this probably sounds impractical. One of the things that I love about this camper is the smooth egg shape, so organic. We have invested so much in this project. I don't like the way the flat doors look. I will pull it around with big fiberglass repair spots, I just don't want to settle on the door............
I understand. I put two vents in for my refrigerator - one with rounded corners and one with square corners and it bugs me every time I look at it.

You will figure out a solution in time. If you haven't spent some time on YouTube, there are lots of instructional videos on fiber glassing, so you may find some inspiration there.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #17

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Cat
No problem. I do woodwork and repair/rough fiberglass work. When it comes to fabrication and finish glass work I usually send that work out. I have not had personal experience with mold building which I think you will need to build if you want a complete fiberglass door. I just don't want to give you bum info. on the fiberglass fabrication. I will keep an eye on the thread and comment when I feel I can contribute.
Eddie
Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
For temporary use of the trailer get one of those magnetic closure screen doors and rig it up in the door opening. It looks like you're in Florida so you just need to keep the bugs out. We know there are people out there that could fabricate a door, it's a question of would they. If you could find a place that does fiberglass construction, probably boats, maybe a worker there would do it as a side job. Years ago a trucking company I worked for bought supplies from a company that made fiberglass vaults for coffins, anyone doing that near you. If you have to make your own door, figure on some trial & error. I've made stuff, then didn't like the way it came out and started over.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have been following this conversation and the earlier related ones. The more I read, the more I am intrigued and my creative juices are flowing. I have not rebuilt a door and I know you wanted to stay clear of wood, but being a woodworker (hobby) and having built a kayak, the idea of wood is not our of line if done right.

If I were hands on, i would make a sturdy wooden framework out of a solid wood such as oak or other hardwood. One sheeting option is to use marine plywood. My kayak is 3mm marine plywood with System 3 epoxy taped on the seams. I thought about suggesting using the cedar strip canoe approach but a good plywood would be more stable for shrinking and expansion. I would be temped to leave the grain showing with some kind of cute design but you could paint is to match the rest of the trailer.

Another material I have found that would probably work for this is Fiber Stranded Plastic. It comes in white, is very durable (indestructible), easy to work with and would make the bend. Again, I would make the frame out of a hardwood and probably use the marine plywood on the inside. The only thing you might not like about the FSP is the bubbly surface but if you can't fix it, make it a feature.

Good luck on this. I think you can do this with a bit of patience and research.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #20

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In regards to Dave's idea, we went to the wooden Boat show in Mystic CT a couple months ago and some of the creations there were amazing. I'm no woodworker by any means, so I'm very impressed by what others can do with wood. Some of the smaller boats were beautiful, and light weight too. As for a door window, a friend built a wood strip teardrop and made a round porthole type window out of plexiglass. Look at the pictures in the thread "scamp screen door", are you sure you don't want a flat door, or make one of these for temporary use until you can get a permanent door solution.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #21

Florida
Registry
I am so happy that I found this forum last year. Thank you to all.. Dave, Im going to look into the fiber stranded plastic.

Oh, and Dave.. Did you say you wanted to get your hands on the project? We have a guest room..
We could trade a two week stay in FL for a Fiberglass door. lol

If you all thought I was stupid before, now I am going to open my mouth and you will know for sure..I hate to admit it, but I completely forgot that lots of boats are made of wood. I have been so put off by the rot and other problems in this wooden door, that my perspective has been skewed. Maybe wood could work for skin.

OK, took a little break.. thinking about the top of that door. The wood braces or ribbing must end about 2 inches from the top of the door. How would you continue the curve all the way to the top?

If anyone has a curved door, can you tell me if is flat or curves the top 4 inches of the door?
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #22

Florida
Registry
Bob,

Here in Jacksonville we are on the St. John's River and there are a number of boat repair people. A big problem is catching them when they are between jobs. There is also a shop that does FG fabrication about 30 miles from the house. We have to take it there to get an estimate and we are still on blocks. DH is working on electrical now.. and I am finishing the passenger side window. So maybe we can take it over there in the next week or so and get a bid... I know that is is going to be expensive.

Remember, when I started this thread I was trying to figure out how to get by for now by making a repair myself, now I'm in much deeper looking to have a door made.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #23

Name: Marge
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Keep us updated I am wondering if they will make the core from Balsa wood.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
I am so happy that I found this forum last year. Thank you to all.. Dave, Im going to look into the fiber stranded plastic.

Oh, and Dave.. Did you say you wanted to get your hands on the project? We have a guest room..
We could trade a two week stay in FL for a Fiberglass door. lol

If anyone has a curved door, can you tell me if is flat or curves the top 4 inches of the door?
We are in the Pacific Nwet. Long trip but thanks for the invite. The shop is here with all the needed tools. Based on what you have done so far, I think you can do it. FSP can be found at Home Depot and the like. They use it on commercial restroom walls for easy cleaning and durability.

I suspect that you want the curve to continue to the top for looks and so it tucks in the frame for a good seal. Not 100% on this since the Casita had a flat door.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:53 PM   #25

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Looking at the pictures of a 13' Boler and your Love Bug the doors appear to be identical. Wonder if you could find a Boler door that somebody would like to get rid of. At least that would be a good starting point to modifying to fit.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #26

Florida
Registry
Byron, yes the shape of the Love Bug is like the Boler. That is a good suggestion. Thanks
Old 08-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
My good, ole friend Sandy is a member of Bolerama. You wouldn't believe the number of Boler owners that are looking for doors.... because their doors have been STOLEN right off the trailer (remember all us air-craft door owners have hinges that are exposed). Good luck finding a wreck, probably won't happen. You don't want to delay enjoyment waiting for a replacement. Look for a solution that works for you. It doesn't have to be perfect, just works for you....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #28

Florida
Registry
Donna,

You always help me with my perspective. Thank you. Haven't found a curved door at all, haven't even found a suitable window.

For those who may be following this thread for a good laugh, I have been thinking, again. MAybe I can just rebuild the top of the door incorperating some wooden ribs and still use the flashing at the bottom. If I can think my way through this I will post pics and updates.