Oh my door.. with pictures - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #41

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Marty,

Thank you for the links. I have several links and docs that I can send to you if you want. It did not sound like you're being critical at all. I do understand being tactile, I do lots of drawings for my DH. I am happy that I can visualize dimension in my mind. I think it comes from years and years of seamstress work.

I considered all sorts of options for door. We will build a new door but not now, unless my current plan fails. I am posting pics on my web album as we go.

Here is what we have done to establish the correct curve on the door. We place a piece of pattern material, plywood, or foamcore. We used thin plywood. We held the plywood up to the side of the door frame and traced the curve. We did this on the hinge side and on the latch side. Then had out each of those used as a pattern piece. We continue to hold the plywood up to the door frame inside and make corrections until the curve matched the doorframe. This is as far as we have gotten right now. We are doing a little bit every day and I will be posting to our web albums. The link is at the bottom of my post.
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #42

Trailer: Wilderness 5th Wheel
door repair

your windows look like they push out at the bottom and have a latch to hold it out. If you have problems or need to repair them this link could help.

Window seals & hardware for 76 Scamp tilt out windows - Fiberglass RV

Marty V.K.
Marty V.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #43

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Door Update

We have the door prepared to glue. Made pattern for brace with plywood using the curve of the door. Cleaned up the old door and cut the new pieces to be inserted. The door fits good. We are going to extend the braces towards the top of the door a few more inches. Will cut braces from the plywood pattern, glue everything, attach the new braces then clamp.

After door had dried we will remove clamps, try it on the camper then, if it fits, we will encase the entire door in fiberglass. Put on the door knob and go camping!

You can see more pics at my Picasa web album at the address below.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0422.jpg   IMG_0423.jpg  

IMG_0425.jpg   IMG_0429.jpg  

IMG_0434.jpg   IMG_0435.jpg  

IMG_0437.jpg   IMG_0443.jpg  

Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #44

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You've put a ton of thought and work into this door. I hope every single moment of your first camping trip is WONDERFUL.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #45

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
That door is a thing of beauty!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote