Ok, ready to order a Solar panel but have a question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #15

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
I'm sure I saw, on this site, a system where by the solar panel was plugged into the trailer's pig tail but I can't find it to share. Can anyone else remember that thread?

Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Yeah I'm going to go with a waterproof style controller... And mount it outside the battery box. Going to have to get some type of quick connect/disconect fittings for it so it can be easily hooked up.

l
I am using a small cheap not waterproof controller that remains connected to the battery and its in a small waterproof box that has hinged top - mounted low on the outside of the battery box and painted black so its not to apparent thats it there. You could mount it right on the tongue frame with heavy duty 3M tape a bit further from the battery if that makes it feel safer.

Mine has been on for over 5 years now with no issues. As the controller is not water proof and I seem to recall that it was to be vented when in use I simple open up the bottom just enough to connect the panel using a quick connection and give it some air and still protect it from rain. I did drill out a small hole in it for the wire from the battery to fit through (on the bottom side so water wouldn't get into the box and drip down onto the controller from the top) so it is well protected when totally closed in the winter months. If I was to do it again I would get the waterproof controller but still put it inside a box to protect it from road grim etc especially when traveling in winter . I have a pretty simple solar set up but it has served me well and gotten me through lots of dry camping days.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
I'm sure I saw, on this site, a system where by the solar panel was plugged into the trailer's pig tail but I can't find it to share. Can anyone else remember that thread?
I was wondering about that too....but I think since my battery box is on the tongue I'm going to go with a plug of some kind directly to the batteries to minimize loss.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #18

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
I was wondering about that too....but I think since my battery box is on the tongue I'm going to go with a plug of some kind directly to the batteries to minimize loss.
The way I did mine was to wire the charge controller with a 4' cable - bare cable end wired to controller and other end to 7 blade connector. Only need power and ground. Then plug the 7 blade connector into the trailer connector.

On the solar panel side of the charge controller, I connect positive and negative bare wire ends to charge controller. I use the MC4 connectors on the other end as the quick connect to the MC4 connectors on the solar panel cables.

I wire this to charge controller when I arrive at campground.

Make sure you post pictures if you wire directly to battery. I might just want to change mine!
Old 05-09-2014, 05:33 PM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
The only reason I really think about wiring it directly to the batteries is when they moved my batteries to a box on the tongue,

A, I'm not sure what gauge wire they used

B, seems like it cold be an extra 20 some feet of wire that isn't necessary....unless I'm wrong and the charge cable runs into my new battery box and not all the way to the fuse box then back to the front where the batteries are. I guess tomorrow I have to take a peak under my parkliner. Would be great if I could just wire in one of those 7 pin sockets with just 2 being used.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #20

Just finished installing my components. My panel was removed from our motor home when it was sold. I purchased panels and controller from "Northern Arizona Wind &Sun" in 1999. There still cranking out the watts. The panel is a 90 watt Siemons, the Controller is a Morningstar ProStar 30, 30 amp charge controller with digital meter. The panel is to large to mount on the roof so I'll be using it as a remote plug-in. Mounted the controller in the storage compartment at the right of the entrance door (under bunk). Attached battery to controller with #10 wire, fused the positive same as original. Installed a two pin marine bulkhead connector next to existing wire access hole for tail light harness. The bulkhead connector is connected to the controller with #12 wire. The panel is connected through the bulkhead connector. I used #12 wire for this, not as large as I would have liked, getting connector fitting that will handle larger wire is very $$$$$$$.$$.
My controller has a "load side" this enables me to read the draw on the system and also allows me to turn off the battery. To connect the load side, use the two wires that we're removed from the battery.
With this system I'll never need more unless I try to run AC for things like MicroWave of other appliances.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #21

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Warning power is addictive! Plan for expansion. I would use 10 Gauge wire and a larger controller than you think you need...that is what I did and I'm at the limit of what charge controller can handle. If I tilted my panels I'd probably pop a fuse.

What is really wonderful is the cost of these panels is so low now compared with past prices.

I am thinking about putting panels in the roof of the house. I would love to loose the electric bill completely.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:52 PM   #22

New Jersey
Registry
Yeah Conrad, I can see how it could be addictive lol. I want to go with a 30 amp controller, I could possible see me adding a permanent panel on the roof one day and a moveable 100 watt panel. I still will be carrying my generator for air conditioning useage but don't want to need to run it when in the colder times of the year to top the batteries off from that energy hog of a furnace lol.

10 gauge wire is my plan for the wires coming from the panel, will have to see if I can use 8 gauge for direct to the battery since its going to only be at the most 3' long from the controller to my 2 batteries.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: shopping
Alabama
When I order my Oliver 22, it will have 2 100 watt solar panels on the roof, 6 gauge wire from panel to controller and 6 gauge from controller to 4 T105 batteries. They buy their parts from AMSolar. The controller is a 25amp, but I may go higher with plans to add a third panel at some point. Cheaper to add it in the beginning rather than later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #24

New Jersey
Registry
2 100 watt panels is more then I need at this stage of the game. I carry a generator for air conditioning or extra power for microwave or stuff like that....when I retire in hopefully 14 years I'm hoping for a little bigger trailer for full timing in...then I will cover the roof in panels lol

Old 05-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #25

Alabama
We are already retired. Working on selling the house and going full time in Sept. We will also have a generator,, a Yamaha 2400 iHSC for the hair dryer, microwave and maybe the AC occasionally.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #26

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Best wishes on your solar project deryk!

The more i read up on solar options and think about how we camp/live in the pacific northwest the more i believe that a portable setup in the ~100 to ~120 watt range should meet our needs. I haven't got the design nailed down yet and i'll keep researching over the next year-ish.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #27

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Thom, yeah I don't want to have to depend on running the generator during the colder months when I camp(Same one as you John), so solar does make some sense...won't solve all the problems but will not have to worry about leaving the MaxxAir fan running on a warm/muggy day to keep it comfortable inside when I'm in and out.

100 watt's is fine for now, maybe at some future point I might add a 2nd panel but rooftop mounted, but I prefer camping under the tree's so a moveable solar panel makes the most sense. Not going to be the Renology folding unit because the charge controller they use isn't water proof...unless they will remove it so I can add a waterproof one.

Anyone have a good link to a DIY folding solar panel?

Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #28

Alabama
Some people have been reporting success with some portable being sold on eBay.

Tags
solar, solar panel