Ok, ready to order a Solar panel but have a question - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #41

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Good thread and lots of interesting reading. I have not bought a solar system yet but my research has led to a couple of conclusions. First is that if your charge controller can accept 24V input (seems most can) then wiring multiple panels (in series) for that output allows you to use smaller wire and is generally more efficient. I decided on this 24V wiring for my planned portable 100w to 120w setup as two 50w or two 60w panels hinged as a nice suitcase makes a lot more portable rig than one 100w panel.

The second thing is not as clear from an economic standpoint but MPPT controllers are more efficient and therefore get more out of whatever panels are connected to them. The “better” MPPT controllers are exponentially more expensive than a PWM controller of similar wattage but if you can get more charge out of fewer panels it might be worth it.

At any rate, keep the ideas and discussion going. I see solar as a natural outgrowth of our interest in camping with "right sized" efficient equipment and rigs.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #42

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I originally didn't like the MPP controllers I bought off of Amazon. They were not expensive. However I have grown to like them as time is going on. They work very well. So cost is not a huge factor for these.

MPPT controllers are good for campers or applications were power is cycling daily. If you're not going to use your camper often, weekends only perhaps, then a cheaper controller would work fine as they have more time to recharge.

I have an electric start generator on a small trailer, and my car gets parked for long periods. Neither of which is used much. A small panel with a simple three stage charge controller is perfect for keeping a battery topped off or brought back up.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #43

Name: steve
Trailer: Born Free Fiberglass
California
Just wondering, what mppt controller did you buy off Amazon?
Thanks.
stev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #44

Connecticut
MPPT Tracer1210RN for the boat on a pair of 6V panels in series to keep my battery topped off. I took out the electrical system but like my batteries topped off. I plan to build a temp frame for it out of wood.

Renogy Tracer 4210 40 Amp MPPT Charge Controller 12/24V --Listed as Renogy, but actually a Tracer. This is what I use on my Bigfoot camper. It works well with 630 Watts of panels.

I often think I put too many panels on my roof on the sunny days, and then we have a series of days of rain and dark overcast and then I'm glad I put these up. In any event. I see 32 Amps often. It probably gets close to 40 Amps at times, but I have not blown a fuse yet. I may pull the fuse out and put in a breaker, but so far it has not been a problem.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #45

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have about settled on the 20AMP Renogy MPPT Controller for my system. At 12v input it is listed for 260W of panels and for 24V input 520w. That is more panels than I will ever have on the Scamp! I am initially planning on two 60w (120w) panels expanding to four (240w) later. But I want the ability to configure my system as I see fit down the road with possibly a few more panels. My intention is develop a portable system for use camping but also to incorporate it into my everyday life. A solar system is a lot of hardware and depreciating equipment (batteries) to be sitting around. I envision some 12v lighting, fans, etc. in the house as well as a small inverter (I already have a 150 watter) for running my CPAP machine. Maybe some type of 12v dehumidifier in the trailer, if there is such a thing (got to keep stuff you care about dry in Florida). I think we HAVE to start thinking about solar. Not just for camping but for everyday use. I am not getting any richer and need to investigate ways to save money now and certainly going forward toward retirement.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #46

Connecticut
Whatever you get you will be happy with it. These are fantastic products and make you feel like you get something for nothing every day.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #47

Connecticut
Tim there are grid tie inverters that allow you to hook right up to your house. They are more expensive but eventually pay for themselves. Outback is one brand that seems popular.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 PM   #48

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Ok, solar panel is in, I decided I wanted to add 2 more of those "Z" clips to the front edge, just so the wind can't grab at it. Might not be needed, but can't hurt.
Attached Thumbnails
10.jpg   1.jpg  

2.jpg   9.jpg  

3.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg  

8.jpg  

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #49

New Jersey
Registry
Ok, once the Z clips are in I can start mounting the panel on my roof. Now I have the wire running into my bathroom, then heading into the closet and out the floor to get to the front battery box. I did mark one of the wires with blue painters tape so I can identify which ever one is positive and negative.... but how do I know which wire is positive and which is negative coming off the backside of the solar panel...they aren't labeled? Test it with a multi meter or does it matter?

thanks

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 05-27-2014, 03:53 AM   #50

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
On my Renogy 100 watt panel, the male connector is positive.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #51

New Jersey
Registry
That's the one I put the blue painter tape on!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #52

Here is some pics of the install on my blog.
http://poseysscamper.blogspot.com/20...r-install.html

Sent from Brad, new scamp owner. 2014
BradPosey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar, solar panel