Spent some quality time Saturday, and some hung over time on Sunday working on the pock marks all over the fiberglass. I was hoping to get a lot further but sometimes what you want is not what you get. Movement is movement and as long as it's forward I am happy.
Each one of the pock marks on the trailer represents a "worm hole" into the fiberglass, so I chased them down with a dremel and beveled grinder bit. Some of them were pretty deep, others were really shallow. A few had gotten so bad the fiberglass on the inside had "popped" and created a cavity. Those will be repaired with actual glass.
My wife followed me and cleaned out the divets with acetone and a brush, then wiped it again with a rag. Fiberglass filler with cream hardener and some sanding and a final coat of primer over the top to seal it up and we were done, sort of...
After we had sanded down the filler we noticed more pock marks and some that had not filled in well. So again we will have to go back and fill them in. However the spots we did get filled in and painted over look excellent.
The weather was way too hot, it was supposed to be fairly mild (~65 and cloudy) but it was ~75 and sunny, a tyvek suit was almost unbearable. This is relative of course, but it was hot for me.
- Red cream hardener works way better than the cream hardener that comes with the can, it shows how well you mixed it in, if you mixed enough in and when it comes to sanding it works out much better.
- Painting over with primer also works really well because it shows all of the flaws, I can always sand it off and rework an area.
- I started out trying to work in large swaths with a bondo spatula, that did not work out well, it ended up wasting material, taking way too long to sand and the holes never filled well. A 1 inch metal spatula worked better and was actually quicker.
Well here are some pics, they kind of show the steps...
Also I forgot to take measurements of the rear shelf for Jeremy, I guess I will have to PM him...