Old lights to LED? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 AM   #15

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
California
By switching to the LED I believe you masked the problem instead of fixing it. For instance a poor ground connection often causes arcing and increased current draw. If it burnt out the adapter that could also been caused by poor grounding. I am curious as to what "park lights" are.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #16

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I have five trailers. I have replaced more than a few incandescent lights. So far about two years on some trailers, all the LED lights have worked faultlessly.

They are more expensive however if you buy these from the right source prices are more reasonable. I use Amazon and eBay. eBay is cheaper but take longer to arrive.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:34 AM   #17

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Parking lights is the correct term for what most people call running lights. They were intended as lights to be left on when a vehicle was parked--but nobody does that.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #18

Name: Lonny
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankcfx View Post
By switching to the LED I believe you masked the problem instead of fixing it. For instance a poor ground connection often causes arcing and increased current draw. If it burnt out the adapter that could also been caused by poor grounding. I am curious as to what "park lights" are.
Well, that would be a good assumption, and one I initially worked with, however, after plenty of testing the light circuits on the trailer, and then finally working closely with the Curt factory, it became apparent that the amount of lights on the trailer drew more current than the adapter was designed for. Curt finally designed a prototype and sent to me (which worked) however, by that time, I had changed to the LEDs and never looked back. Curt even agreed that it was good idea to cut the amperage draw by going to LEDs.

Tags
light, lights