Old like New (almost) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2002, 08:51 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Old like New (almost)

Posted by Suz, Moderator, North Texas

Old like New (almost)
Since my other picture didn't turn out very well, I thought I would take another stab at it.

This is a before and after picture of my trailer. I had to really crop the before picture and lose some of the clarity just so you could get and idea of what was done.

BEFORE

(image posted again in Want the Shine topic)

AFTER

From the looks of the preview, I still need to work on my picture quality. Think it may be my camera....or the operator....naw, not the operator!

(image posted again in Want the Shine topic)
-----------------------------
Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:05 AM   #2

Wow

Posted by Michael Sanders, Webguy, Central Coast, California:

Wow
Suz, that is fabulous. How did you get such a great shine?

Enjoy your visit - Webguy
e-mail: Michael Sanders, Donations: Website Donations.

Last edited by: Michael Sanders on 10-04-02 10:05:42

Old 10-04-2002, 09:21 AM   #3

Elbow Grease

Posted by Suz, Moderator, North Texas:

Elbow Grease
Thanks. Lots of elbow grease.

Every window had at least a 2'' wide mixture of clear silicone and dirt around it. There wasn't one rivet cap left (nor the washer) so every rivet had a large gob of dirt/silicone over it. Also, needless to say, the outside was so oxidized that it look like flat paint. First we scrubbed the outside with Bar Keepers Friend and lots of water. Then we just started waxing and waxing and waxing. Also, all but the rear sticker was either faded or crystalized. There were two of the latter and they were a real to remove. I still have to wax it more frequently than a new one, but it does shine. Also where the stickers were, it is discolored. I'm going to put new decals on it, but haven't decided whether to have the whole thing gel coated or just the repair that was done, so for now she remains a bare naked lady.

Once all is said and done, I'm going to put a polish on it and then wax it again. For now, my main goal is to get her out camping!

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Last edited by: Suz on 10-04-02 10:23:14

Old 10-04-2002, 10:08 AM   #4

SUZ

Posted by Rick, Moderator, Vancouver, BC, Canada

SUZ
That is amazing stuff. I assumed that my 1995 with it faded exterior was something I would just have to accept. Obviously I can get a better shine than I do!

Great Job !

Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

95 Bigfoot 25B21 (21.5FT)

Old 10-04-2002, 11:21 AM   #5

shine

shine
Rick,

The Bar Keepers Friend is a mild polishing compound, but only removes the oxidation. You may not need it. Try a boat wax with cleaners. Of all the waxes I used (and I used a lot of different ones) one called Starbrite Marine Polish(in a blue bottle) did the best job for me. I think it's because it has kerosene in it. Once you get the shine where you want it, any good wax will do.

One caveat: Be very careful around your decals. Wax shouldn't hurt them (and will help preserve), but old ones may be effected by anything with a cleaner in it.

Good Luck.
Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 10-04-2002, 11:29 AM   #6

Polish

Posted by Michael Sander, Webguy, Central Coast, California:

Polish

Did you use a machine to help with the polishing?
...or did you do it all by hand?

How many hours would you say you have in bringing back the shine?

Enjoy your visit - Webguy
e-mail: Michael Sanders, Donations: Website Donations.

Old 10-04-2002, 12:00 PM   #7

Polish

Polish
Really don't have a clue how many hours. Not as many as you would think though. I tore up my right shoulder and elbow using a pick axe on some tree stumps (making it's parking space) so this limited the amount of time I could spend on it at any one time. I'd just pick up a rag and add wax when I thought about it.

Fortunately, I think I actually may recover.
Both shoulders are finally working again.

Machine or hand? Mostly by hand. My husband tried two different buffers. Meantime, I have just kept on piddling with it and it looks pretty good. I think either would work, but I prefer doing it by hand. It's easier for me to just keep a bottle of polish/wax in the trailer and just pick it up when the mood strikes me. It probably has somewhere in the neighorborhood of about six or seven coats Some coats are better than others. The top needs more but the rest seems to be holding pretty well and cleans up rather nicely with Charles' tip of using baby wipes.
Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 10-04-2002, 12:05 PM   #8

Polish

Posted by Rick, Moderator, Vancouver, BC, Canada

Polish
A few weeks ago I bought Starbrite Premium RV Polish with Teflon. It comes in a white bottle with a black and red label. Anyone use this product? Maybe it's the same stuff but packaged differently for us Eskimos!

I'll have to check out that Bar Keepers. I do have some oxidation.

Thanks.

Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

Old 10-04-2002, 12:16 PM   #9

Starbrite

Starbrite
Rick - I believe it is different, as I seem to recall seeing that one too. Check on the back label and see if it has kerosene in it.

Honestly, in the end, I don't think it matters, as long as it has some type of cleaner in it and you stay with it. Some might make it a little easier, but once it is done it will be easier to keep. It shouldn't be an on-going thing. Just in the beginning, try to wax it every couple of weeks until you get it like you want it. Who knows, if you use a cleaner paste wax and a buffer, it might be even faster.

The first coat or two will probably appear streaked. That will polish out with subsequent coats.

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 10-04-2002, 12:38 PM   #10

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Posted by Charles Watts, Member, Illinois:

Wow! Wow! Wow!
Wow, Suz ... did I say Wow?

We're in the presence of greatness!

Looks like you put new snap caps on too! Did you replace the rivets ... or just silicone the caps on?

Wow!

Man, Suz ... I'm speechless!

Old 10-04-2002, 12:40 PM   #11

polish

Posted by pjanits, Member, Schaumburg, Ill.:

polish
Say Suz,

Do you think you could come over here and show me how its done?

snicker,snicker

Pete

Old 10-04-2002, 01:16 PM   #12

Say what?

Say what?
pj (ah, pjantis, may I call you pj for short?) :

Actually, according to your posted location, you don't live that far from my daughter. Whew. I'll be sure not to tell you when I go visit her!

Charles - Aw, shucks. Greatness? I don't think so. Stupidity and tenacity is more like it. I'm too stupid to know that there are some things that I can't do and too stubborn to know when I should quit. And, of course there are a lot of imperfections that don't show up in the picture that I probably wil never get rid of, but that's okay by me.

Silicone them on? I don't think so. Actually, I've got an experiment going. For the most part, the old rivets were drilled out, then added silicone, snap washer, new rivet, more silicone, and snap cap. Tried a few others (for future info) a different way. If the rivet was solid, then I took the clear portion (washer) made a slit with a razor knife (middle to outside), and with a lot of effort (really more than adding a new rivet) put silicone around the rivet, forced the washer between the rivet and the trailer until it was just like it was when adding a new rivet. More silicone was added, then the cap was snapped into place. End result is that you cannot tell one from the other. None of them leak, but only the future will tell if endurance is any different. I cannot imagine it would be, but not a big deal to replace the few that I did that way. Why did I do this? Simple: I would have had to replace every single rivet in that trailer at one time. So, I thought I would experiment. Do I recommend this method? Nope. Sure don't. It's very iffy if it's not done correctly. Besides, if you only have a dozen or so, why not replace them?

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Last edited by: Suz on 10-04-02 15:39:44

Old 10-04-2002, 01:37 PM   #13

there is hope for mine

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator, Northeast, Oklahoma:

there is hope for mine
That is the greatest transformation I have ever seen. Mine looks like your before, and like Rick thought I would be stuck with it or have to have it painted. I just keep thinking how wonderful it looks. Way to go.

Jana Journeycake
PullsButtercupwithYellaEscape
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Old 10-04-2002, 08:00 PM   #14

Yup I have to agree!!!

Posted by Steven Colli, Member, Connecticut:

Yup I have to agree!!!
That looks Dang nice!!! Now it's time to go camping and catch some in her!!!

Way to go!!!

Steve, Julie & Michael
2000 Casita 16 Spirit Deluxe

Old 10-05-2002, 01:21 PM   #15

The true secret...

The true secret...
of getting the finish back is just doing something with whatever you have when you have a few minutes to do it.

Truth is, all of our trailers are alike yet different: Different age, different mfg, different past care, etc. Some of you may even have true vintage ones that have been painted. If that's the case, then always test a small area.

It hit me today as I was waxing the top. I ran out of Starbrite and grabbed the Nu-Finish and kept on working. And that is truly what I have done all along. Use one thing then another. Just keep on working and don't give up. Don't think you have to do the whole thing at one time or you may never get started. Just go out there and just do a little at a time. That's what I've done, and that is what has worked the best for me.

My goal was never to have the best or prettiest or shiniest. My goal was to have a nice looking trailer to go camping in that didn't leak and would stay clean. And I think that is just about where I am.

And that's the true secret of it all. Want a motivator? Go out and pick a small spot on the bottom half. Work on it a few minutes. When that starts to shine, it does great things to keep you going. Don't start on the top. It's going to be the hardest. Know where its going before you get there.

Happy Waxing!

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 10-06-2002, 04:32 AM   #16

Waxing

Posted by Rick, Moderator, Vancouver, BC, Canada:

*Rick looks into his wallet to see if he has enough money to pay someone to wax his trailer!*

No way - I might need another mortgage.

I just realized that in terms of square footage - my Bigfoot has about twice the area of fiberglass compared to a Casita that must be waxed. Did that come out right? I hope so - I just mean that it's gonna be a BIG job.

Rick

*Leadfoot in a Bigfoot*

Old 10-06-2002, 01:30 PM   #17

Waxing a Bigfoot

Waxing a Bigfoot
Rick - Sure you got a bigger foot that me , but you got more and bigger windows, too, thus reducing the amount of square footage than one might assume to be there because of the largness of the chariot......

Okay, so you got an elephant. You know what's been said, don't you? How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time, my friend, one bite at a time.

Now, let loosen up those shoulders and start waxing!

Suz
1989 Casita
16 ft Spirit Deluxe

Old 11-16-2002, 01:06 AM   #18

Posted by Chester Taje, Moderator, Hosmer, BC, Canada:

Suz
Just going into old posts. Your TT looks great.I did same thing and it worked ok. This coming year will get it painted. My inside Has now been completly Done

Ches & Marie
17Ft Boler Canadian In Use
13Ft Boler Canadian under Rebuild
Glass IS Class

Old 11-16-2002, 06:48 AM   #19

pictures

Posted by Thomas and Janifer, Moderator, Northeast, Oklahoma:

pictures
Well I can't tell it's changed at all Ches. THERE ARE NO PICTUREs. Please, please put some here, or did you put them some where else and I forget? I love seeing inside fixes. especially the detailed ones.

Jana Journeycake
PullsButtercupwithYellaEscape
1975 Surfside TM-14 (ft)

Last edited by: Thomas and Janifer on 11-16-02 07:48:53

Old 11-16-2002, 07:06 AM   #20

Posted by Chester Taje, Moderator, Hosmer, BC, Canada:

Quote:
Orginally posted by Thomas and Janifer

Well I can't tell it's changed at all Ches. THERE ARE NO PICTUREs. Please, please put some here, or did you put them some where else and I forget? I love seeing inside fixes. especially the detailed ones.
Hi I will put pictures One day.I have been looking in advertisments tonite to see what a cheap didital camera costs,also I got to learn how to do it I rebuilt the whole inside, made repairs where i had to then painted Everything white with melemain paint, With blue trim. Installed hardwood floors and put in permanint bunks 39x74 inches.I cant sleep at nite no more so I did bunks so I dont bother wife with my getting up and down Soon i hope to get picturies on
Take Care

Ches & Marie
17Ft Boler Canadian In Use
13Ft Boler Canadian under Rebuild
Glass IS Class