old topic rehashed?? under bed storage ?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
old topic rehashed?? under bed storage ??

What are others doing for under bed storage?
we leave the bed set up & need an easy way to get all the way to the back I'm thinking of some kind of pull out system I'm also sure it's been done
any ideas /pictures you would be willing to share? please!!

planning for spring already!!!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #2

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1979 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Something like this?

Under Bed Storage, Under Bed Storage Containers, Under Bed Chests, Bags

Noel
Red-Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I am using one of these under the bed for my clothes. I keep forgetting to take the under-the-bed measurements to see if a second will fit side by side for when the mister comes along camping with me.

jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Dwarf View Post
I was looking at those!!! so yes something like
I'm wondering what others have done to custom fit the space
I have an idea it's to get it from my head to where it can be understood so it can be made
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
We just use 2 Laundry Baskets. Measure the height of the under bed space.
Ours do not fit side by side so a cord is attached to the one in the back so it can be pulled out. Works for us.

Sandy C
Sandy Christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
We just use six plastic boxes, three in each row, with enough room to lay the table pole between the two rows. The boxes have snap-on lids, to keep any "intruders" out. The two boxes in the back have holes for a light rope to reach slightly longer than the distance to the near edge of the bed.

We put emergency stuff and extra clothing in the back boxes, and have separate boxes for dry foods for each of the three daily meals. To access any of the boxes, we simiply pull on the rope on one side or the other, and all three boxes on either side can be pulled out from under the bed.

The boxes are just low enough to miss the carrier I built for the tiny dining table that I also built. It is stowed in a rack made of light aluminum channel on the underside of the bed board.

No need to crawl back under the bed for the boxes in the back. To return them to their places, you just have to put the boxes with the ropes under the bed first, one on each side, hang onto the rope and one by one, push the boxes back, and pay the rope out as the boxes are pushed under the bed.

Works fine for us.

Mike

PS: Don't forget to hang onto that rope end, or you WILL need to crawl under the bed. ;-)
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #7

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I have a short (about 3 1/2 to 4 ft) pole with a screw hook on the end. Just stick the pole under and catch the hook on the edge or in the hand hole ( if any ). I use this in the back of the truck, too. Works well.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Under Bed Drawers

We no longer have under bed storage because we don't leave our bed set up.

When we did leave the bed set up in our son's Casita 16, we built a large slide out drawer. In this drawer we had 5-6 covered plastic storage containers. The Drawer provided easy access to the containers and the plastic provided a closed boxes. It worked very well.

We built a similar unit in our other son's Scamp 13. In that case we had two side by side drawers that pulled out instead of one, again with plastic containers.

On the Road, from Myrtle Beach State Park, SC

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
sandy---we do the same as you---use a laundry basket. i put our small appliances, heater, etc in it. our clothes are in the closet on shelves.

and norm and ginny---you are in one of our MOST favourite campgrounds!!! how's the weather?? happy camping to you.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
South Caroline

...and norm and ginny---you are in one of our MOST favourite campgrounds!!! how's the weather?? happy camping to you.[/QUOTE]

We also like Myrtle Beach State Park; peace amongst turmoil. Actually our first choice is Huntington Beach State Park but it was full for Thanksgiving. We are parked next to a Casita and there are at least two other Casitas in the park. Both parks have marvelous beaches.

Yesterday it reached a high of 77 and today we're going to reach the 60's, all comfortable compared to our NH home.

I will say it's great to be on the road again..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
We have two drawers (his & hers) which are actually on rollers and serve as a platform for a two plastic boxes in each drawer. When we pack clothes, etc. we fill the boxes in the house and just set them on the drawer platforms for traveling.

The wheels for the platforms came from Rocklers, a tool & hardware catalog. The frame is easily constructed mostly of 1/4" birch plywood. They're very light weight and servicable.
Attached Thumbnails
Under_Bed_Open.JPG   Under_Bed.JPG  

Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We have room for three plastic bins with flip-top, folding flap lids from Lowe's under our bed. The faraway bin contains items seldom used (extra winter gear, extra sheets and towels, blanket,etc.), and the front two are for frequent use items, lightweight, mostly clothes.
We measured the space below, and found the biggest bins that would fit.
Great, because we can bring them inside to pack, and haul everything out of the house ready to go.
I've always thought about adding a small hole and a rope to the far-back bin, but never got around to it, as it's seldom used...
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #13

Name: Melissa
Trailer: 17ft Casita FD '06 tv: Toyota Rav4 V6 2010
Florida
Registry
I use two large garment storage bags (designed for storing sweaters or blankets or such) which have a handle on the side and the top is zippered shut like a suitcase. One is for warm-weather clothes, the other for cold or cooler-weather clothes, and I swap their positions (front or back) depending on which I am using. (My clean clothes r always "navy-rolled" and put away, the only thing I hang in the closet is my uniform)
They keep dust and bugs out but are squishy enough to conform to the shape of the space under the bed. Works quite well and no need to build anything!
My only complaint is after over a year of heavy use and abuse, they are both starting to rip around the handles from being yanked about so much. But they weren't made of the strongest stuff, it's that papery fabric like the throwaway doctor's surgical scrubs are made of.
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #14

Trailer: Boler 1984
With the table down, we made a filler piece with a piano hinge and plywood to fill the space under the front edge of the matress. It would lay flat under the trailer during the day.
After making a two person dinette and a permanent bed, my wife added a valence across the front and we keep a his and hers tote under the bed. Access to the underseat space is now from the outside for outside kitchen items and utility stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
493.jpg   868.jpg  

917.jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
The first 6 months or so that I had my Scamp I tired various bins and boxes. None really satisfied me plus I didn't like crawling under the table for the other items I had stored in the very back.

So 10 years ago I found my solution which also encompasses the porta potty. I simply took a 1/4" piece of plywood and cut it to the dimensions of the foot well. I added 1x2's on the sides and back with a 1x4 in the front. This tray simply slides in and out with what ever I choose to put on it.

Now consider that there is a step-up to deal with. What to do to keep the tray from tilting, when pulled out, under the weight of the items on it. I simply used 3 pieces of 1x6 trimmed to the height of the step-up and connected with "L" brackets to make a brace. It's placed on the floor prior to pulling the tray out. Where to store it?? Around the porta potty which is on the tray. When pulled out, held up by the brace, the potty is at a very usable height.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Joy,
Do you have any pictures?
I just may " borrow " your idea!

Vicki A.
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #17
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I always thought Steve L had a great under bed storage solution. There's a picture in his Castle Pretentious registry.

I was looking for the old discussion, where he described the building of it... those posts devolved into a dust ruffle argument (that was actually pretty funny, at the time). So far, I haven't found the discussion, though.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #18

Sure help yourself.

Pic #1 shows the curtain covering the area. It's just a tension rod across the opening.
Pic #2 shows the curtain partially open
Pic #3 the tray partially open so you can see the brace stored around the potty
Pic #4 has the brace on the floor
Pic #5 the tray partially out supported by the brace
Pic #6 the tray fully out to use potty or access the other items on the tray
Attached Thumbnails
Under bed storage #1.JPG   Under bed storage #2.JPG  

Under bed storage #3.JPG   Under bed storage #4.JPG  

Under bed storage #5.JPG   Under bed storage #6.JPG  

2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 11-29-2011, 06:28 PM   #19

You know I looked at the "U" brace and it is not held together with "L" brackets. It's just put together with screws. You can see them in my pictures.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 11-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Joy, thank you!
I too keep my potty under the bed. This would make it so much easier than having to pull it out, put it back...

SUPER IDEA!!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote