Olympian Wave 6 Heater Installed Pic! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #1

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Nova Scotia
Olympian Wave 6 Heater Installed Pic!

I know everyone likes pictures, so here's a pic of my new heater intalled.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2580.jpg  
Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Looks good!
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
... here's a pic of my new heater installed.
I have a Wave 3 (the six would be overkill) and did not permanently install it for a few reasons, one of which is the problem of the catalytic element getting contaminated, shortening it's life (see page nine). I wonder if you can build a cover for it to protect the element from dirt, dander, pollen, etc.

I keep mine covered and in a box when in storage, which is almost all the time. When setup, I still keep it covered when not in use.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:43 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Very nice install.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:28 PM   #5

Nova Scotia
I have a cover for it, they sell them separately. This heater will keep the trailer around 21 degrees (70 F) on high when the outside temp is close to zero (32 F) with a window cracked open. I probably will never camp when it's that cold so the low setting will probably do on a cool summers night.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:00 AM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: In the Market
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
I know everyone likes pictures, so here's a pic of my new heater intalled.
Roy where did you install it in the camper - looks great! Thanks, Mike
mbbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 05:03 AM   #7

Nova Scotia
Hi Michael, I installed it right below the closet where the the original furnace was.
Old 07-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #8

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
It looks like you have put a trim piece on the front, did that come with the heater? Since you put it in the same place as the original furnace, is there a vent in the compartment? Does the casing of the stove get hot?
I have a Ventura and am looking for a heater. I was thinking of just mounting it on the wall but your installation looks better and the vent for the original furnace is still in place. Have you been happy with it so far?
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:07 AM   #9

Nova Scotia
Hi Patricia, the chrome ring around it comes with the mounting kit sold separately from the heater, the heater doesn't need to be vented and yes it gets hot so you do have to be careful around it the same as the original furnace. I am very happy with it so far, it really warms up the trailer quite well, even at cold temperatures. It easily heats the trailer up to around 20 when the outside temp is at 0. I left the original vent in place in case I ever sell the trailer and someone wants to put a furnace back in that needs venting.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:55 AM   #10

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Thanks

I have been going back and forth on which heater to get so it is extremely helpful to hear your firsthand experience. Thank you.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
I have been going back and forth on which heater to get so it is extremely helpful to hear your firsthand experience. Thank you.
As I mentioned, I have a Wave(3) and I do think its a good heater for occasional use but you should know the pros and cons. There are endless discussions about the Wave (and similar) heaters but briefly:

PROS: Uses NO electricity at all. Very efficient use of propane. Is silent (no fan).

CONS: Uses the Oxygen in the room and releases water vapor so requires ventilation (open windows). Catalytic pad will eventually need replacement and if contaminated to excess then the combustion will be incomplete releasing carbon monoxide. Surface can catch things on fire if they touch the pad. I think the consensus is that it should not be used when sleeping.

The Wave is a radiant type heater and many people prefer the hot air from a traditional furnace. It is different from a vented hot air furnace in other ways also. Plenty of info is at your fingertips via Google.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium