One woman job - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
One woman job

For those of you that have replaced the interior wall coverings...
Is it possible for one person to do so??
Everything I've done in Tillie has been with my two little hands, but now it seems I should turn into a spider, spitting sticky stuff and having eight legs to work with!
I really don't have additional helping hands so any tips you might have would be appreciated - thanks

Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Boy, I hope so, as I probably won't have help either (could cause a marriage melt down).

What are you covering with???
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:08 PM   #3

I'm using Flex Form - it's a rat fur kind of stuff.

As I painted the cabinets an almond color, I bought "doe" colored fuzz.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #4

Registry
Did you paint the actual fiberglass cabinets (or just the doors?) What did you use--how did you do it?

Sorry for picking your brain, but I'm getting ready to do the same! Don't forget your pictures! (If we were closer I'd loan you a pair of hands!!!)
Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
We lost all the pictures in the hack, but one person recarpeted a Casita. He built braces out of 2x4s and pieces of plywood. Supported the carpet snuggly to the roof area and across from side to side while the glue dried. It was a slow process, if I remember right, because he did it in chunks and waited for the glue to dry before moving to the next section. If you put glue on both the insulation and whatever you're using for wall covering... then wait until both get "tacky" it should grab and hold better than if totally wet. I've never done it, just having a "remembering moment."

On Edit: Here I found this topic for you, maybe it will help: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post138531

I'll keep looking

Another Edit: Here's another topic that describes the braces: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...html#post21781

Oh Doh! I should have remembered it was Lanny Webb!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:00 PM   #6

Donna - thank you for the links! It's not an extra set of hands, but very good info for me, thanks again.

Vickie - I paint all of the fiberglass inside with Rustoleum spray for plastic.
Both front and back cabinets had at one time had speakers in them, so I was left with big holes. I had a lot of "body" work to do, so I had to paint. I didn't care much for the glaring white, so I just toned it down a bit.
The cabinets doors were WILD - gone now!! I built new ones and even changed the shape. Will try to get some pics on, hope it works.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010681_resized.JPG   P1010842.JPG  

P1010844.JPG  
Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
It's crazy what we do, you fill in your speaker holes and I will probably cut speaker holes.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

Registry
Vicki---you should be proud! That looks incredible! Did you cut those cabinet doors?? I love the uniqueness! WOW!

And I am thinking about cutting those holes into my overhead cabinets so I can get at the contents more easily!

I'm assuming you also painted the lower cabinets and closet? How do you think this will hold up? What kind of prep did you do?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #9

Vickie - the pic with the two doors is above the sink and stove and already had two holes.

The back O.H. I don't have a problem reaching into because of the step up. For the front I decided to get one of those small folding steps, easy to store and just the right 5-6 inches I needed! As for the doors, they are birch plywood. I traced the openings on sturdy cardboard, enlarged each direction an inch and cut away!

I liked the look of the oblong shape (only on the overheads), thought it gave Tillie a softer feel. As we say in Texas " no accounting some people's taste".

The painting took a long time. I used lacquer thinner to remove any wax, then sanded lightly, primed and painted. Lots of prep and slow going.....
I removed all of the benches,as they needed work too, so I did them separately. The front bench had been cut into two seats, as a po had put in an AC in front. They used part of the original seat then added particle board and 4x4's to finish. I kept what was left of the fiberglass and trashed the rest (must have been 40 lbs or junk! Decided it would be easier(?) to make new seats, so I did!! I don't think I have pics yet, but will when the "fur" is complete.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #10

Registry
Thanks for all the info! I tried to talk myself out of painting the cabinets, etc. But they have holes I'll want to patch and I don't know how to do that and make it look good (just the small holes from hinges, etc. I'm changing.)

Oh, well, no pain, no gain, right??
Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #11

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Just a quick question wouldn't you want the "Ratfur" to go behind all those cabinets?? I think everything should be removed the furr installed then reinstall all the cabinets..Then again you may have done that area already and I just can't see it........................
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:33 AM   #12

Registry
Randy,

Vicki has a Perris Pacer like me, and if it is like mine---the cabinets are glassed in, not screwed. This really throws an extra bit of work in removing them. Ick!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #13

Randy - Vicie is right, our cabinets etc, are glassed in. I wouldn't take the chance of tearing up the shell.

Vickie - thanks for jumping in
Old 03-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #14

Registry
No problem---BTW---you did a fantastic job on the reflectix installation---looks really nice! Wanna do mine for me????

Wish we were closer--we could redo Tillie and Bean together! Also, it's probably warmer in Texas!!! We lived in Killeen for awhile when my hubby was in the Army.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #15

Vickie - the reflectix was the easy part! Just tape the seams and in the end nobody will ever see that part of it.
Lived in Cheyoming for a year and a half...I feel your pain
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #16

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Sorry about that... thought it was a Scamp, didn't look close enough....Everything you done so far looks like a professional done it..really looks good keep us posted with your progress.............
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #17

Registry
Hey Randy,

When we first got our Pacer I thought it was put together like the Scamp, etc. And I told my hubby we would be removing everything to work on it, and he said "no we're not---they're glassed in." There was a little "discussion" about it until I had to go look closely for myself! Opps!