Organizer for upper kitchen cabinet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Something has been driving me batty. Every time we take the trailer on the road stuff slides around in our 3-door upper cabinet where we keep most of our food stuffs and winds up looking like this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	08Jul21UpperCabOrganizerMess.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	14587

It was like this just after we got back from Bandon and took a few minutes to tidy up again. It's one more thing to do each and every time we go camping or tidy the trailer up after we get home. So, in frustration, I spent a few minutes in the shop after we got back and cut up some scrap hardboard then used a hot melt glue gun to put this together.

Name:	08Jul21UpperCabOrganizer.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	14588

Then cut the shelf liner so it fit around the organizer and hot-glued it into place in the cabinet. While I was at it I hot-glued the Rubbermaid anti-slip shelf liner down, too.

Name:	08Jul21UpperCabOrganizerInPlace.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	14589

It's only as long and wide as I could fit in through the cabinet door and it's not fool proof -- stuff will shift around some -- but set through the middle door of the cabinet it will prevent most of the sliding around and keep most of my stacking containers (the worst offenders) mostly in-place.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Peter,

I love the pantry organizer...

We're getting ready to head out for another weekend. Over 4th of July we camped the entire week - first time longer than a weekend, and found that we obviously took more clothing and 'stuff' and organization in a travel trailer is a real issue. I'm a neat-freak and am constantly tidying, and putthing things away that find their way on the counter or on the front table. (we keep our back table down as the bed).

What do you and others use for your clothing? Towels? "Stuff"? I found a 3 drawer plastic thingy that fits just perfect in our clothing closet. We don't hang anything, so 3 drawers allowed for us to each have 1 drawer (rolling shirts and shorts saves so much space!) and 1 drawer for under garments. The area that is considered the 'bathroom' (we use the campground bathroom) usually houses 2 rubbermaid boxes of camping supplies (that gets moved to the 'patio' and used for end tables under the awning) which leaves the entire closet full of space empty except the floor. I'm considering buying another 3 drawer 'thingy' to put in there for pantry items, dish clothes, etc.

I talked about photographing our 'closet' when we went on our week long trip as we had about 19 items of assorted clothing (T's, shorts, 2 pairs of jeans each etc) 12 pairs of socks, same with undergarments, and 4 bathing suits. 35 pieces of clothing in a small compact space, along with 6 bathroom towels and 2 beach towels. My husband said I could pack for the next Space Mission! Like every woman does, I over packed - but we didn't go without anything.

Ok to make s short story long, and I apologize if this has been discussed before, what to other egg owners use for their clothing, pots & pans, pantry items while parked? How do you keep it organized in such a small space? A fellow camper came by our camp site one day and I 'caught' her taking photos of our trailer...I invited her in for the 'nickel tour' and after showing her the closet and such, she suggested that I drive over to Ikea in Pittsburgh, PA to see their organization ideas..
Sounds like a winter trip when our 'egg' is in hibernation...

So what do you do?

Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Bravo Peter! Bravo!!!
(taking notes here!!)
Lynn L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Enquiring minds would like to know if those are regular or magic mushrooms in the 3rd picture
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Enquiring minds would like to know if those are regular or magic mushrooms in the 3rd picture
I'm sure there are people here who will tell you, the "magic" ingredient in this picture is not the stuff in the plastic containers, but the thing in the foil packet across the bottom.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:10 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I'm sure there are people here who will tell you, the "magic" ingredient in this picture is not the stuff in the plastic containers, but the thing in the foil packet across the bottom.
Perhaps, but the "small packets" really got me wondering ... what you were really into.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:13 AM   #7

Quote:
What do you and others use for your clothing? Towels? "Stuff"? I found a 3 drawer plastic thingy that fits just perfect in our clothing closet.
Ok to make s short story long, and I apologize if this has been discussed before, what to other egg owners use for their clothing, pots & pans, pantry items while parked? How do you keep it organized in such a small space?
Hi Carolyn,

Indeed we discussed this topic a good bit at the end of last year. Here's the link to that topic:

How do you organize all your stuff?

If you have further questions after reading this, please feel free to start a new thread with your question.

--Lynne

(With thanks to Donna D. who kept reminding us to use this website's powerful Search feature to find the information that they need. She was right and it is easy to use too!)
lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
Quote:
Hi Carolyn,

Indeed we discussed this topic a good bit at the end of last year. Here's the link to that topic:

How do you organize all your stuff?

If you have further questions after reading this, please feel free to start a new thread with your question.

--Lynne

(With thanks to Donna D. who kept reminding us to use this website's powerful Search feature to find the information that they need. She was right and it is easy to use too!)
Sorry for the trouble...It was late and I was just asking an 'organization' question as the thread implies.
Carolyn Patterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Bug-eyed Boler
Very neat idea!

I really like to containers - I've never seen those before. What brand are they and where did you find them - does it really hold full length pasta?

Gail
Gail S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 77 Scamp
I.......L....O...V...E......Y...o...U.......so organized...adopt me please!
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
I.......L....O...V...E......Y...o...U.......so organized...adopt me please!
Lynne might have something to say about that. I mean adoption, fine, but organized?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
I really like to containers - I've never seen those before. What brand are they and where did you find them - does it really hold full length pasta?
They're IKEA storage containers. I have to break spaghetti noodles in half to get them to fit, but the short containers hold te contents of a small store bag of thin spaghetti noodles.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:55 PM   #13

Quote:
They're IKEA storage containers.
More specifically, they are the IKEA 365+ storage system jars. The taller ones are the 44 oz. units, and the shorter stacking ones are the 10 oz. units.

--Lynne

lynneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:24 AM   #14

dividers......plastic containers.......a LABEL MAKING MACHINE......it's like OCD narvana.....

Quote:
Lynne might have something to say about that. I mean adoption, fine, but organized?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #15

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
dividers......plastic containers.......a LABEL MAKING MACHINE......it's like OCD narvana.....

I have a label-making machine. It's broken.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:59 AM   #16

your a sick sick man Steve.......frankley I'm one step away from getting one of those things.....but thats like addmitting openly that I have and organization fetish and flaunting it in the faces of all who pass thru my house....Oh you want some coffee?...let me go get it....hummmm "a" for applesauce..."b" for brownies...Ahh here it is "c" for coffee.......no Steve I should never own one......and to actually break it? I'll go look up the local help line for you.

Quote:
I have a label-making machine. It's broken.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Quote:
But I know that for Peter the magic comes in smaller pieces like imported Canadian Smarties or for the really good stuff, Smarties from the UK.How do they get stashed in the trailer or do they not get eaten before you go on the road? A one time supplier!
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #18

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Peter is to never ever step foot in my house. His organizational obsession will cause him to implode.

I don't want his death on my hands.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 01:41 PM   #19

Gina are you kidding those are the best people to invite over when they are in need of something to organize.....think about it...their house is all neat-anized and their itching to "fix" something.........Hey I won't turn you away Peter......in fact bring that label making machine and you can go to town in my pantry...I'll even grab some cardboard and glue sticks just in case you get done to quickly.... I'll turn you loose in the garage....that will keep you busy.

Quote:
Peter is to never ever step foot in my house. His organizational obsession will cause him to implode.

I don't want his death on my hands.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #20

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Since most of the stuff we stow in the upper cabinet is small, I bought a few of those white plastic desk drawer organizers. They keep the small containers from shifting around. I also bought a small coated wire platter holder for the plates & bowls & that keeps them in place very well.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote