Original Boler Paint Colors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Original Boler Paint Colors

Hi there,

This is my first post to the forum (which I must say has been a tremendous asset to me!) I recently acquired a 1971 13' Boler from Vancouver BC that I brought back to Seattle and will soon be having restored.

I was wondering if anyone has information on the original Boler colors? I would love to have the new exterior in keeping with its past. I really like the attached color, but not sure if it is original or not. Any information from seasoned Boler pros would be fabulous!!

Kathleen Hite
Attached Images

khite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Kathleen, welcome to FiberglassRV! Nice looking trailer, thanks for posting it .

It appears there's already been some modifications done to your trailer... starting with the windows, those aren't the original style... originals for your vintage trailer are jalousie style which have individual panes anywhere from 2-3 per window. The ones on your trailer are the newer radius style sliders.

And, if your trailer has been painted any color, that's not original either. Molded fiberglass trailers come out of the mold with a gelcoat exterior. I'm guessing 1 in 10 trailers ever receive a paint job, and that usually happens when the trailer is many years old and the gelcoat is bad, or to cover damage repairs.

Either way, you seem to have a nice looking trailer and I'm sure you'll have many memories in your future. Please post more pictures when you can.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #3

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Boler: 1977 Brochure shows available colours
1977page3
Ours is originall colour as in Deluxe but has a reflective silver strip/band
Attached Thumbnails
Image2b.jpg  
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Picture above is from and add not a picture of our trailer
our trailer below
Attached Thumbnails
20100625_111.jpg  
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #5

Washington
Borden -

Thank you! That is super information. I haven't seen one of these original documents before. I appreciate you taking the time to post that for me!

Kathy
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #6

Washington
Also... just wanted to clarify that the attached image above is not my Boler, just a color I was curious about.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #7

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by khite View Post
Hi there,

This is my first post to the forum (which I must say has been a tremendous asset to me!) I recently acquired a 1971 13' Boler from Vancouver BC that I brought back to Seattle and will soon be having restored.

I was wondering if anyone has information on the original Boler colors? I would love to have the new exterior in keeping with its past. I really like the attached color, but not sure if it is original or not. Any information from seasoned Boler pros would be fabulous!!

Kathleen Hite
Congrats on your new Boler. I have a question as to the logistics of bringing a trailer across from Canada to the US. I am in search mode and have seen possibilities in Canada but wasn't sure of what is involved bringing one across the border. Thanks in advance for your response.
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Also... just wanted to clarify that the attached image above is not my Boler, just a color I was curious about.
Ohhhh now I understand. Sorry if I mislead you, not my intent at all
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #9

Washington
Hi Reid,

It was quite an adventure getting it here and registered, so I would be happy to provide some information to make the journey easier for you or anyone else looking to bring a new Boler baby home from Canada:

What you need:

• the trailer's registration (Canada's form of "title") from the owner
• bill of sale - signed by you and owner. I hand wrote mine, and the DMV didn't love it, so I would recommend printing out a template to make it look more official.
• proof of the trailer's weight (if the trailer doesn't say how much it weighs on it, you can get a document from a weighing station ). I did this after I got home.
• clearance document from the US customs. The Homeland Security WILL stop you to check you, the trailer, and needed documents (registration/bill of sale) out before providing you the clearance document.

The folks at the border told me that I would also have to get an inspection by the state patrol before I could register the trailer. Don't fret - this is no longer required. If you have the 4 items above, you can go straight to the DMV.

I would recommend calling your local DMV department of licensing to confirm all required documents before heading to Canada. Mine starting talking about having something notarized, and I rose a stink because I told him that their office did not tell me that was one of the needed items. Go to the office you call for information to register your trailer. And be sure to get the name of the person you talked to. This saved me.

One other thing I learned. If you are planning on storing your trailer, the storage companies require that it is registered. This blew my plan of waiting a week or two after I got home to do that.

Certainly more hoops than if you purchased a trailer in the states, but it is totally doable, and worth a sweet/special Boler.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to see how your search turns out.

Kathy
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Wow!
I thought that when I painted that, that I had seen the last of that horrible colour. To clarify things a bit. we bought the trailer, back in '94, from a RV dealer that had painted it to cover some tree wounds. It followed us around the country for several years asking us to please do something about it and finally we put it out of it's misery and scraped and sanded, primered and painted it it's new happy white.
Actually we rather enjoyed it's uniquness. After all it's not easy being Green.

Bolers originally were not painted but made with a coloured gel coat finish. Usually the interior gel is the same as the outer. Often the earlier models were two toned with the door all one colour but some made later were all one. If possible try to keep the gel coat finish as long as possible for two reasons. First, because it's original and secondly... Once you paint then sooner or later you're going to have to do it again.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #11

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Kathy
Thank you very much for the cross border info. I Hope it proves useful for others. Good luck on your restoration adventure.
Reid
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:00 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
BTW
The windows are original for a 1984 as is the outside table rail and the molded style front window shield. The JR was Charlie and the picture was taken back in 2003 in a little park about 15 km west of the Ont man border while we were on our way to the Bolerama at Cyprus Hills Sask.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #13

Washington
James. Thank you so much for the information! I really loved hearing the story behind that image. I think I may go for more of a light sage-y green, but that trailer really is an eye-catcher. I'm glad to hear you got it back to the original white that you, and the trailer, preferred.

The exterior on mine is in so so shape. I am taking it down to Bend, OR to the Egg Plant (an awesome Northwest resource) to bring it back to it's original splendor. Just playing with color options at this point. Here is a pic of my Boler in its current state. The pic of the Boler attached to my car was taken directly after we got across the border (and through Homeland Security!)

Kathy
Attached Thumbnails
Boler at the border.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
.....huuummmm, A Sumas Crossing! Parked at the Duty Free. NICE find.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #15

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Boler: 1977 Brochure shows available colours
1977page3
To hijack this thread, that brochure also quotes the axle ratings - 1250 pounds for the basic model and 1650 pounds (with optional brakes) for the Deluxe.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 AM   #16

Name: TravelRN910
Trailer: 2017 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Registry
Quote:
Hi there,

Kathleen Hite
Good luck on your restoring/improvements. This is what I have done with my Casita, so far. Click Below Link:
http://secure.smilebox.com/ecom/open...rcomment_email
TravelRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #17

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
Kathy, what is your tow vehicle? Nice setup. Welcome to the world of glass.
Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #18

Washington
Hi Bonnie,

My tow vehicle is a Hyundai Santa Fe that has just the right amount of juice to pull the Boler safely. I had a Volvo that recently died and had an opportunity to purchase a different vehicle. When I saw the tow hitch already on this one, I knew it was meant to be.! Thanks for you welcome to the group!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by khite
I am taking it down to Bend, OR to The Egg Plant
Kathy
I'm very excited to get to work on Kathy's Boler!

But something about Kathy's Boler has me scratching my head...

I can see from Kathy's photos that her 1971 Boler features taillights and a bumper that look more like those of a Scamp, rather than the idiomatic style of the Boler.

I know that Boler sold US manufacturing rights to an outfit in Kansas in '71, and that Scamp began in '71. Any chance hers was built in the US and sent back to Canada?

Does anyone have an explanation for the disparity in the design?

Curious minds want to know...
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #20

Washington
Here is a pic of the back of my Boler to help solve the mystery (Hi Robert!!)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00134.jpg  

Tags
boler, paint