Our 1971 13' Boler mods - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #43

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1974 13 ft
Florida
That would be great (pictures of roll and tip), since I have no idea what it is and need to learn for my reno. Also, what is a chip brush? Thanks.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 07-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #44

Name: John
Trailer: Boler
Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
That would be great (pictures of roll and tip), since I have no idea what it is and need to learn for my reno. Also, what is a chip brush? Thanks.

A chip brush is a wood handle brush with natural bristles, when doing fiberglass you don't want to use brushes with synthetic bristles...here is a link:

36 Piece 2 in. Industrial Grade Chip Brushes

Old 07-11-2015, 07:22 AM   #45

Florida
Thanks, that's very helpful

Old 08-07-2015, 10:56 AM   #46

Deep South
Sorry I haven't updated our progress lately but we had some delays on our project.

First the exterior paint. I did not pay close enough attention when I bought the primer and got the wrong kind. I bought the red oxide primer and shoud have purchased the gray sandable primer. My bad... The red would have worked okay to accept the top coat except I wanted to sand the primer before applying the top coat to address some minor imperfections in my body work. The red oxide primer is not a sandable primer. And I rolled it on to thick not having something to gauge the wet film thickness. The magic brand primers and paints should be applied at about 2.5 mils thickness wet. Thinner than a sheet of #20 copy paper. Using a micrometer, I scraped a sample off with a razor blade and estimate I put it on about 3 to 4 times that thick so drying was an issue. It was dry to the touch in 36 hours but wasn't cured underneath in places after 6 days. So we stripped it all off, lightly sanded and then applied the gray sandable primer which dried very quickly 4 to 6 hours and cured in 24 hours (aprox.) I am much happier with it. Below are some pictures of what the red oxide primer did when we tried to sand it (it was soft & gummed up the sandpaper)...lesson learned ~ read labels thoroughly!

I also purchased a good quality automotive sprayer from Harbor Freight for $17 with coupon and sprayed the primer on to ensure thin coats. I did not use Majic's reducer but I did use their catalyst hardner. I mixed the paint 1 pint at a time 25% mineral spirits, 75% paint + 1 ounce of hardner with very good results for both primer & top coat paint. It worked very very well, with very great control of the air flow, pattern & fine tuning compared to my other sprayer. We then sanded the primer with 400 grit to get a super smooth surface. Next I applied 1 layer of top coat gloss white (we decided to go all white instead of white/red). Now I need to sand it with 400 grit and apply a 2nd coat. The white dried in 12 hours and cured hard in 24 to 36 hours.

After the final coat I will wet sand it with 1000 grit and then apply a clear coat (have to wait 14 days for that). But even with the wasted red oxide primer I have $150 total in paint for the body and I am very happy with the results. It would have been better if I had an enclosed building so I didn't have to deal with bugs on the paint but that is minor and the wet sanding will take care of that.

This weekend we are rebuilding the jalousie windows with new seals & polishing them & other hardware & belly band. Should have paint finished by Sunday if weather permitting too.

Now we just got to finish the interior. I finally decided to put the a/c under the lower bunk venting it out the side. I really hate ( cringing) to cut a hole in the body after doing all that fiberglass repair & filler work but it has got to go somewhere. The a/c exhaust vent will be smaller than the patched 3 way fridge vents though. I am pulling fresh air in from underneath the trailer to take advantage of the cooler air underneath the shade of the trailer.

Anyway here are some pictures of our progress, enjoy!

Also, we made reservations today for the October Egg Gathering in Cherokee, see you there!
Attached Thumbnails
0708151843.jpg   0708151844.jpg  

0726151639.jpg   0726151640.jpg  

0726151640a.jpg   0726151703.jpg  

0728151939a.jpg   0801152028.jpg  

IMG_20150805_073833_861.jpg   IMG_20150805_073858_238.jpg  

Old 08-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #47

Deep South
Our 1971 13' Boler Restoration & Modification

How do you change/edit the title to a thread?

I want to change this one from
"Our 1971 13' Boler mods"
to
"Our 1971 13' Boler Complete Restoration with Modifications"
Old 08-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
How do you change/edit the title to a thread?

I want to change this one from
"Our 1971 13' Boler mods"
to
"Our 1971 13' Boler Complete Restoration with Modifications"
Oh, how may have been down that path before!
Old 08-31-2015, 10:27 AM   #49

Deep South
Wanted to take a minute to update on our progress. Been working on a lot of different things when I have time but between work, the weather & some family things progress has slowed down. But it should be campable by Thursday...

We started staining the woodwork/cabinetry with Miniwax Stain in Golden Pecan but it looked to "orange" for our taste & didn't go well with our laminate flooring so we went back and got Polyshades a 2 in 1 stain/polyurethane in Bombay Mahogany, looks much better and we are happy with it but neither color looked like what was on the color charts or the label. We sanded the original table top which was obviously a different wood and it turned out absolutely gorgeous. Not having worked with stain or polyurethane before I don't know if the wood itself changed the color or if maybe I used to much...I finished up the bathroom minus the plumbing & poly panels to cover the walls. My wife is tackling the insulation which we figured out works better cutting & gluing small pieces. The reflectix would have been easier in the curves but this 1/2" foam board will insulate much better & provide better noise reduction and costs a lot less.

I also made the drip pan for the a/c using a wood frame since the a/c is sitting directly on the floor under the bottom bunk & coated it with fiberglass resin to water proof it. I will put on a second coat today just to make sure.

Also got the converter/charger installed in the dinette, propane water heater installed, finished the cubby hole in the bath for towels & toiletries which is to the right of the water heater, linoleum in the bathroom, holes cut for the electrical & water hatches, installed the new door lock with deadbolt, & made the front frame trim piece for the cabinet that holds the refrigerator, got the Also got the new door lock installed, will post picture later.

Over the next 3 days I will finish the a/c install, install roof vent to the water heater, install propane line & regulator, replace the trailer lights, electrical wiring, plumbing, laminate hardwood, install the bathroom accordion door, reset the door hinges & finish the door interior, & reinstall the windows.
Attached Thumbnails
0830151928.jpg   0830151927a.jpg  

0830151927.jpg   0830151923.jpg  

0830151920.jpg   0829151647a.jpg  

0829151647.jpg   0830151921.jpg  

0830151857.jpg  
Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 PM   #50

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Great job
On a side note... While at times your helper may at times be more of a distraction.... You and your assistant are building great bond and alot of memories

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 PM   #51

Deep South
Thanks and yes we have had an awesome bond since he was born and it grows everyday...he really likes helping dad work on things, the other day when these pics were taken he picked up my screw driver and was actually driving screws in the wood all by himself, pretty cool for just turning 3 years old, so very proud of him
Old 08-31-2015, 11:17 PM   #52

Name: Tim
Alberta
I can't believe the entire door was full of wood! I think (hope) mine just has it around the window to have something to screw the window into. I think your's now will not only be lighter but retain it's shape and have a ton more insulation. Loving the pics of your renovation!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:17 AM   #53

Deep South
1st camping trip in the Boler!

Okay folks, I have been so busy lately trying to get our Boler campable that I have not taken as many pictures illustrating and posting on the work we have been doing, but we got a lot done. It is still not complete but we were able to get out of town for a couple of days to try it out. Our trip was shorter than planned since we left Saturday afternoon instead of Thursday evening but had a nice couple of days at Jekyll Island.

We were in good company with (2) Casitas and a number of other vintage (non-fiberglass) rv of the tin can variety. This is a very nice campground right across the street from the beach access, very friendly staff and camp hosts so we will be returning again in the future. It did rain a good bit so we didn't get to do a lot but we did enjoy our Boler.

The one minor mishap we had was when we arrived to our site & opened the door the top hinge nuts had came off! Luckily the bottom hinge still had one bolt with the nut still on, so between that & our new door look with deadbolt the door didn't fall off going down the road. I borrowed a couple of nuts from the body side of the hinge to hold it on for the night & the next morning I went and got new lock nuts for all the door hinge bolts on the door & body side of the hinge. And yes they were tight when we left going to the campground so I was very surprised that they worked loose. While using it this weekend we figured out a few things/adjustments we need to make as we complete our project. Before we left I managed to get the a/c wiring done, new laminate floors in, the bathroom accordion door hung, etc. etc. Unfortunately in our rush to get out of town last week I missed taking a lot of photos but I will take them this week sometime & post.

One thing we really missed was not having our shower hooked up. I will get that done this week. I am also considering making a custom fiberglass shower pan instead of using the utility sink as we will gain about 3 inches in both directions for showering. If I do this It will be a shower pan than will also go under the porta pottie similar to a wet bath setup, also have to get the right adapters to hook the shower drain to the sewer hose.

A few other things we decided are must haves is:
Utilizing the full width of the dinette for our bed (our curved dinette top shortens the bed width
A canopy/awning
Outdoor rug
Reconstructing the cabinets over the dinette & the bunk to maximize storage space by increasing their height & depth with shelves over the side windows
Plastic storage box for our outdoor kitchen
Large tongue box
Rear hitch with cargo carrier
Old 09-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #54

Florida
Your rebuild and restore is great inspiration for me. One Q, what is roll and tip?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:37 PM   #55

Deep South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in FL View Post
Your rebuild and restore is great inspiration for me. One Q, what is roll and tip?

Thank you! Roll and tip is a method of painting used by boat builders to get a really nice finish using a roller & brush. I was going to use this method but changed my mind and decided to use a spray gun.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:25 PM   #56

Deep South
Been busy at work but finally got to take our Boler out for our weekend in the Mountains...stayed at happy holiday in Cherokee since we missed the rally we just changed our reservation. We have a few things still to work on and some adjustments & changes to make before spring.

1st picture is our Fastair instant hot water heater which is awesome, worked really well...I do have a problem with our faucet which we re-purposed from the PO sink so I will be replacing it but the shower head worked well. The Camco sewer adapter for a garden hose seemed okay but the garden hose was too stiff to lay flat on the ground to drain, so I tried one of those expandable hoses and that drained to slow so I will likely go with a regular rv sewer elephant drain hose. Also need to come up with a better way to hang our shower curtain, the curtain didn't want to stay on the stick on hooks we put to the inside of the front window. Other than that the shower setup worked great....

Love our door lock, but may make a custom strike plate so it latches with a little more ease...door opens fully thanks to Ian's tip on lowering the upper hinge (we dropped it about 6 inches and it made a huge difference.

3rd picture is the epoxy I used for many applications including fiberglass filling, wood to fiberglass and metal to fiberglass...this stuff is really good...PC-11 part A & B shown...very easy to work with and a better working window than Bondo...4th picture is when we were on the way to Jekyll Island the last holiday weekend just late posting it...and the last ones of our stay at Happy Holiday...

We are going to have to work on an extension for the dinette/bed when in bed mode as the table is curved on the front end making it narrower than it should be and we are considering making it a permanent bed with storage underneath....still have lots of interior work to do on finishing the cabinet doors, cabinet door locks, extra shelving, finishing insulation & marine headliner wall covering....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20150920_160920_709.jpg   IMG_20150920_160906_002.jpg  

IMG_20150920_161246_423.jpg   IMG_20150905_154157_195.jpg  

IMG_20151030_110643763.jpg   IMG_20151030_102906181.jpg  

Tags
a/c, air conditioner, bath, bathroom, boler, closet, door, floor, rebuild, restoration, roof top, shower, toilet