Been so busy have not had a chance to update...
First, we were nearly complete on the interior but the headliner glue issue had been a disappointing set back, although we have used the Boler anyway for several trips in spite of the head liner falling down.
After extensive research and not finding any suitable glue for our styrofoam insulation and marine headliner combination. So me and my wife discussed it and decided it was time to take a different approach. We have since decided to glass tabs to the interior shell, place the styrofoam sheet insulation between the tabs with construction adhesive (similar technique used in home construction), and then apply Polypanel wall covering over that and secured to the tabs with fasteners (most likely will be screws with snap caps but are considering velcro and open for suggestions). I got the idea from a boat restoration video in which they did the exact same thing, except the use formica for the panels and glued the marine headliner to them and installed the panels with heavy duty very wide strips of velcro which allowed the panels to be easily removed for servicing any wiring, plumbing etc. behind the panels. I thought this was ingenious and it looked really good, and would be a perfect solution for our Boler and in a sense give it a "2 hull design". So we are currently working on this in hopes of having it completed by Labor Day weekend.
The inside shoulders of our new tires
had excessive wear after only a handful of trips since last fall
. We discovered that the axle
was worn out and had been flipped over from its original leading arm installation to a trailing arm by a previous owner (most likely to compensate for wear). So I am about to order a new Dexter #9 with Ian G.'s specs for $243 with a bolt on design and 2000 or 2200 lbs as opposed to the original 1200 lbs capacity of the Ingersol Rub R Rid original. I decided on the weight after weighing
our trailer and it came up to 1420 pounds with all our gear minus water in the tanks, our clothes and food. Getting the correct weight was a fiasco (see my other thread My Boler weighs 720 pounds???)
Due to an error on my part during last years installation of new floors and remount of the body, I decided to fix the door opening which was about 1/2" wider at the bottom than at the top. This involved removing the lower floor and cutting the curb side upper floor from the body and trimming it, pulling the body together at the lower door frame, reinstalling/re-glassing the upper floor. In the process I had to disassembly my wood work of the refrigerator
cabinet and the bathroom walls and remove them out of the trailer. While I had them out I decided to weigh all the components to get a total weight of the refrig cabinet (44 lbs) and the bathroom walls and shelf (69 lbs) which was a total added weight of 113 pounds to the unit, considering the weight I took out of the fiberglass fixtures I am comfortable with this added weight as they both serve as structural support for the roof and shape of the door side body. Both are constructed out of 3/4" plywood with a 1x2 door frame for the bath. Almost all of the refrigerator
cabinet is over the axle
so the bath adds minimal tongue weight to the unit. There was some caution posts over my design early on about added weight stressing the unit but with my design an layout I believe most of the added weight is over the axle
including the permanent bed and upper cabinets.
Removing the lower floor was a blessing in disguise as I discovered upon looking at the previous owners axle mod that they had welded the axle to the lower floor frame for additional support (I guess) so I went ahead and cut those additional unnecessary welds free as I would not have been able to remove the axle with the lower floor in place.
Another thing is I am going to try my hand at glassing a shower pan to convert our shower stall (utility tub) and shower curtain combo to a wetbath.
And last but not least I am not entirely happy with my cabinetry. The 1x2 supports of the shelves are poor by my own design and I don't like the way they are held together with angle brackets, but the face frames look real nice!
So with the tabs for the insulation/wall covering redo I may fix the bases of those cabinets and built them more like a residential cabinet. We'll see how that goes.
Well, time to get back to work. Sorry for no pictures, not much to show in progress right now, but I will post pictures of the new axle and install when I get to that point and also the cabinetry when I get it finished.