Our 1973 Eco - with recent retro restore - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 1973 Eco
Here is our 1973 Eco that I purchased two years ago for $800. It had a poorly finished paint job (grey primer?) and original wheels and tires. We used Rustoleums new universal spray paint (yep from a can) in gloss pure white for the top and their smooth satin aqua for the bottom. The gloss definately has a better finish. Also painted the frame in satin black. Not shabby for about $60 (Home Depot). We know its not perfect and it needs some fiberglass repair, but it makes for a quick and cheap weekend getaway. The interior is good - we're replacing the cushion covers in a fake suede cloth that was on clearance from Hancock fabrics. I don't like the cheap shed type hasp latch. Any closeup pics of an original style locking handle and/or supplier would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Before_1.jpg   002_1_.JPG  

003_1_.JPG   001_1_.JPG  

Mark and Peg P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Any closeup pics of an original style locking handle and/or supplier would be appreciated!! Thanks!
Since your Eco appears to have a lot of similar parts to my Boler American, I suggest you try a Scamp door handle. Here are some shots of the original on mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	smlatchout.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	14408

Can you post a picture of the Eco label beneath your rear window please?
Attached Thumbnails
smlatchin.JPG  
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:20 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Looks like we are working on the same project trailer. I also just purchased a 1973 ECO. So far I have taken all cabinets out. Working on replacing the flooring. The outside of my unit is ok, started to work on inside first.

Trailer floor pic

Trailer at house

amado_aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Eco
Quote:
Since your Eco appears to have a lot of similar parts to my Boler American, I suggest you try a Scamp door handle. Here are some shots of the original on mine.

Attachment 14408

Can you post a picture of the Eco label beneath your rear window please?
Don't laugh Roy, but I wanted the logo to be in a flamingo pink reminiscent of the 50's & 60's. So I went to Wal-Mart and bought a bottle of hot pink craft paint for less than buck and some detail brushes. Its only got a first coat on it now. Thanks for the handle picks. The gal I bought it from had a door handle replacement set from Scamp. But I can't figure out what the latch actually grabs on to on the camper side of things. The original on mine is all gone. Thanks!!

Attached Thumbnails
logo1.JPG  
Mark and Peg P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
But I can't figure out what the latch actually grabs on to on the camper side of things. The original on mine is all gone.

Patrick M. posted <a href="http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1047" target="_blank">this picture
</a>the strike plate is chrome coloured at the level of the belly band. Just below and to the left of the standard household deadbolt strike he added to his trailer.

Mine is similar to the above. If need be I'll take a picture for you. But mine is positioned a little too far out into the doorway and I want to move it in a bit following my door fix.

John Perry posted in this thread "The striker is unique to Scamp, is readily available from Scamp and are only a couple of bucks. I replaced one on a 77 Scamp that I had. It is easy."

BTW I'm not laughing about the colour, I just find it interesting that the plastic emblem is so similar in design to the boler American.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco