Originally Posted by lhanna
I was creeping your profile page and read that you repaired a jalhousie window? Was it difficult? I only ask because I need to fix my back one in my Trillium
and the previous owner basically glued it shut with some kind of goop. I'm pretty nervous about taking it apart and then not being able to fix it. Your little egg looks marvelous!
I was nervous about repairing my window too. Without knowing why the PO glued it shut it's hard to know what to suggest.
I tried to track down what the exact problem was before I took it apart and came up with a solution. In my case a little aluminum stud that holds the window in place (and that it pivots on) had broken off. I just drilled a hole where that stud was and put a rivet in through the frame for the window to pivot. It works like a charm. I didn't completely dis-assemble them, but there are people who have and have posted about it. I did remove the windows
from the trailer and replaced silicon caulk (a.k.a. Goop!) with butyl tape from an RV store (which stopped 6 separate leaks
on 2 windows). On a difficulty scale, this was not nearly as hard or intimidating as it looked at first. You'll become handy with a rivet gun if you're not already!
I still need to replace some rubber trim on the windows
(will get from vintagetrailers.com). I'm guessing your Trillium's PO didn't like water coming into the trailer and decided to aggressively stop any chance of leaking!
There are quite a number of posts that I perused on this site about jalousie's. Do some searching on this site. Many people have gone before you, and will help diagnose the problem and come up with solutions! Parts seem to be available, and these jalousies can't be beat for their 'open-ness' and retro-appeal.
Good luck and happy camping!