Our 1978 Trillium 4500 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Our 1978 Trillium 4500

In 2007 we were lucky enough to be given my husband's grandparents' trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1445 - Copy - Copy.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	38283

Name:	100_1439 - Copy.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	38284

Name:	100_1512 - Copy.jpg
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	38285

Name:	100_1513 - Copy.jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	38286

Name:	100_1444 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	8
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	38287

The trailer leaked like crazy and after a few years we decided to do a near complete gut.
Last summer I took out the vent and windows, took off the belly band and tore out the ensolite. All except the top bunk cushions had to be thrown out.
The vinyl on the bunk cabinets was peeling off so that went as well.
This summer we started to put it all back together again. It's been a slow process, especially without a garage to work in. It's slowly getting there.
The furnace or inverter or both does not work, but we've always camped without hydro so it's not an issue.

Here's a few pictures of what we've done.
I filled all the holes with Bondo and took out as many of the metal plates (they were rusted) in the belly band as I could and then filled the belly band.
Afterwards the windows all went back in with some fresh putty/butyl combination tape. We couldn't find pure butyl where we are. All the wood framing was rotted so we had to cut new ones out of plywood.

Name:	100_3528 - Copy.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	38288

Next, my husband and I had to sand down the interior walls to remove all the old contact adhesive. This was a pain in the butt. It took us a few days and about $50 worth of nylon brush attachments for the drill. It was such a messy job and we were itching for days, it even went through our long shirts. We were both thrilled when this part was over.

Name:	100_3526 - Copy.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	38289

Name:	100_3527 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	38290

I purchased 4' x 8' sheets of an EVA foam product. We ended up using PL 300 to get it to adhere to the fiberglass. So far it's working well. It even held up as we drove through Toronto in 42 degree celcius heat.

Name:	100_3529 - Copy.jpg
Size:	278.8 KB
ID:	38291

We also put in a new roof vent.
Right now it's usable, but in the next few weeks we'll likely be putting up a foam backed vinyl that I found. The vinyl is 60 inches wide and I paid $5.99/yard.
I have leftover cork flooring that I'll put down after all the walls are finished. We also need to get new cushions. We used my son's double mattress when we went camping last week and that was fine, but not something you'd want to lug in and out all the time.

I have loads of projects in mind, but just have to find the time to complete them.

Thanks for looking.

BarbT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Looks good Barb. I'm looking forward to the continuing story of your refurb.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
She's a beaut, Barb!
Looks like you're doing a great job with the renovation.
I have a '78, too- it's interesting to me that your (looks original) fridge is shorter than mine...there must have been different sizes available at the time.
The faucets also look different...are those replacements I see in the picture?

Propane Facts vs. Fiction:. Click here
Tow Limit Calculator: Click here
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Everything in the pictures is how we got it from hubby's grandma. His grandparents were the original owners, but they may have changed the faucet. I always thought they were original, but perhaps not. One faucet leads to a water tank that sits under the table area and the other faucet is for hook up water. The one tap has a turn hand and the other one you flick on.
The table isn't in the pictures. It is only usable when it's down because all the latches won't hold anymore. Today I pulled out some wood I salvaged from a dresser my children broke (three typical boys that break everything). I think I am going to try and build a new table out of it.
I know the curtains she had up weren't original, but all the cushions were and in quite a bad state, more so I think from the trailer storing my husband's uncle's junk in it for many years.
They also installed a light above the double bed that was bolted to through the roof. I think you can see the wire hanging down in one of the pictures.
The fridge is the original fridge. It is quite small. The freezer only fits the ice tray that came with it.
The fire extinguisher is also original! Probably should think about replacing that. LOL
Old 07-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
congrats on the camper...looks good.

are you re-using your old Tmold form he old interior? would you like to sell a hunk around 8' or so? i will make all arrainments for shipping and pay any fair price.

good luck with the reno...and be sure to post lots of pics. thanks kevin
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Kevin, I am pretty sure we still have it because my husband wanted to keep it just incase we needed it for the vinyl. I had no plans to put it back up, but I think he kept it. Once we start putting the vinyl up I'll know for sure if I need it or not. As long as you pay for shipping and we still have it, you are more than welcome to it free.