Our 1990 16ft scamp remodel project .. pics - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #21

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Hi newbie here exactly what did you use to bring shine back? Mine certainly needs to shine again!
Seeitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #22

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyana View Post
Hi newbie here exactly what did you use to bring shine back? Mine certainly needs to shine again!

Zepp Wet Floor Finish (available at home depot)..... and i love the end result. Definitely worth the labor.
ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampline View Post
Zepp Wet Floor Finish (available at home depot)..... and i love the end result. Definitely worth the labor.
Beautiful job, and I am just getting started on my Bigfoot.
One thing I would like to mention is to make sure when you use Zepp Wet Floor Finish from HD, or Red Max from Lowes, is to make sure that you remove all previous wax. I used bar keepers friend and used a lot of elbow grease, then TSP, then 5 coats of the wax with a WHITE fibre cloth. Takes a lot of work, but really worthwhile. I did this on a previous rig...The RV.net.com forum has a lot of info on applying the wax, but most important is to prepare the surface.
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #24

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
I have a 1975 Trillium (Green) Was in a calky finish when I purchased it. Washed it with VIM Bathroom & Kitchen cleaner (one with a hint of javex) the 5 coays of" ZEP Wet Look Floor Finish" and Whow ! great shine now.
Ypoy on the right track !

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
Zep

Hi: help me. What did you use as an applicator for your wax? I have the wax but naturally it does'nt give instructions for the way I want to use it. Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #26

British Columbia
It is very important to use only a white fibre cloth and not any colour, as it may rub off. I poured a small amount of the Pro Max 3 or Zepp Wet Look Finish: the site below has tons of info on how to do it, but I will explain as well. I just put some in a small plastic container, put the fibre cloth in, and wrung it out, as you do not want to apply too much at a time as it can run and you can have terrible results......The first few coats may be streaky, but by the time you come to the last 5th coat, you can shave in front of it, or comb your hair. It is very important to remove all chalk and wax from the surface before applying the wax....I used bar keepers friend with a coarse pot scrubber (3 M)and make sure the surface stays wet, and immediatly wash it off before it dries. This is the hardest part of the job, but the most important. I overkilled by going over the whole rig with TSP as well to remove any residue then wiped it down with a sponge and lots of clean water, again most important. Just keep rubbing the bar keepers friend (obtainable from hardware stores (Home Hardware in Canada) and make sure you remove any chalk on the surface. The applications of wax is the easy part, as it does not have to go on in any particular way, circle, up, down, etc, but just a light coating, and once a year, only have to wax again one coat, without using any other cleaner...results are great and I have seen results from several other rigs and am very impressed. Good Luck (RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Search
Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Looking really good! Can't wait to see a more finished pic with those monks installed.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #28

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
h Mike
Yes Jimmied is correct. A good wash with something to remove any wax, then rinse, next with the Zep wet floor finish. I just put some in a dish. Put your cloth in, wing it out and (just like your washing it again) a lite coat. Dries in 20 min and apply the next coat. Around the 3rd coat it starts to look like your accomplishing something, by the fifth it looks great. I usede Vim (household cleaner) to wash off the wax & chalky finish.For 5 coats I only used about 2 cup of ZEP.
Ron.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #29

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Kevin you are doing an amazing job. It is fantastic. Did you make hard copies of your pictures? When you start to camp you will find people who are into renovating and you can show off your progress. We have a vintage renovated stick and people stop us all the time with questions.
Have a wonderful time on your first outting. AWWWWW the fall foliage of Kentucky.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #30

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
We had our first weekend scamp trip to Red River Gorge in our 1990 scamp. We boondocked at one of our favorite spots.. Needless to say, the scamp performed flawlessly.. It is so much better than sleeping in a tent, or in the back of our toyota fj. We pulled up,, and were ready to enjoy ourselves. Non of the hassle of setting up tents or pop ups... The best part was our 6 month old boy had a awesome first camping trip. He smiled all weekend. He stayed snug and warm with the help of the furnace (temperatures were down to 37F degrees Saturday). We set the thermostat on 65, and it ran all night. The new battery read 12.45 volts in the morning. Interesting???

So now it is time to start finishing up the woodworking projects on the scamp. I will post pictures soon,, of the trip, and the progress. Thanks for the kind words, and for reading.
ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #31

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Such a fantastic job! I have not started on mine too many irons in the fire. Snow is coming here early so depending may cover and wait until Spring. I will have to get most of the things done at Rv dealer and I will have to go to NM as Durango is a bit pricey. Also have to have eye surgery soon..soooo have to have patience..
Seeitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #32

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Looks awesome!

First, I just have to repeat all of the compliments others have posted -- your Scamp looks GREAT! We bought ours years ago and have talked about doing a lot of updates but have yet to do much of anything. As a matter of fact, we're in an '89 16 footer with driver's side bathroom; it looks exactly like yours! And another thing we have in common is that my husband has wanted to refloor it since before we bought it! Anyways, with a recent renewal in my wanderlust, I'm looking for help with projects I'd like to do this year; any tips you can give me about the following would be great. Happy Scamping and can I say I'm jealous of your son? I wish my parents had taught me the comforts of RVing!

1. Flooring: I really want to do this right and take things out. I've seen others take out the dinette but I haven't seen any instructions. We're not very handy so please dumb it down if you can.

2. Back cupboards: similar to the flooring issue, is it hard to take those out? I've seen it done but don't know how -- tips?

3. Cupboard doors: again, I've seen people paint their cupboards but I'm curious how well it works. Can you tell me how you prepped and primed them? Also, what kind of paint did you use? I'm sorry if this is a basic question but I like to get as much info before I set the man loose!

Can't help but say again -- your Scamp looks wonderful and is going to keep me inspired! Does it have a name?
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #33

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
First, I just have to repeat all of the compliments others have posted -- your Scamp looks GREAT! We bought ours years ago and have talked about doing a lot of updates but have yet to do much of anything. As a matter of fact, we're in an '89 16 footer with driver's side bathroom; it looks exactly like yours! And another thing we have in common is that my husband has wanted to refloor it since before we bought it! Anyways, with a recent renewal in my wanderlust, I'm looking for help with projects I'd like to do this year; any tips you can give me about the following would be great. Happy Scamping and can I say I'm jealous of your son? I wish my parents had taught me the comforts of RVing!

1. Flooring: I really want to do this right and take things out. I've seen others take out the dinette but I haven't seen any instructions. We're not very handy so please dumb it down if you can.

2. Back cupboards: similar to the flooring issue, is it hard to take those out? I've seen it done but don't know how -- tips?

3. Cupboard doors: again, I've seen people paint their cupboards but I'm curious how well it works. Can you tell me how you prepped and primed them? Also, what kind of paint did you use? I'm sorry if this is a basic question but I like to get as much info before I set the man loose!

Can't help but say again -- your Scamp looks wonderful and is going to keep me inspired! Does it have a name?
In regards to your cupboards, what I am planning to do as well as the walls when the weather warms up, is to apply three coats of Bulleye 123 primer and then apply three coats of high performance interior/exterior latex acrylic paint.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #34

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Thanks for the tip, Jimmied. We have the famous rat fur walls so I don't have to worry about that. It's easy enough to do multiple layers of primer if that's what it takes. If we do that, I'll probably have to figuree out how to take down the back cabinets, though, so I don't get paint on the lovely rat fur. Let me know how yours turn out -- I'd love go see the results.
Steve and Rosemary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp