Our 1990 16ft scamp remodel project .. pics - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #1

Name: kevin
Trailer: 1990 scamp 16ft
Kentucky
Our 1990 16ft scamp remodel project .. pics

hello,,, Kevin here.. So.... I have owned the scamp for about a week now... and its gutted. "Idle hands are the devils play things".. I have one spongy place in floor to repair in rear corner. I have pulled and painted all cabinet doors. I painted the inside and outside of the fridge. I am amazed at how it cleaned it up... I coated the floor and cabinet bottoms in Town and Ranch "floor-lex" and am very happy with the results. It is like glass.. The floor is completely sealed up and ready to accept the new Allure Flooring (waiting for it to arrive, special order. lol). I will continue to post pics to document this remodel. I hope this is the right place in the forum to post a project thread. So here goes.... Chime in where ya like.... Many more pics and progress to come. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3212.jpg   IMG_3216.jpg  

IMG_3229.jpg   IMG_3240.jpg  

ampline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #2

Kentucky
more pics

Painted Fridge satin nickel.. with white inside.. I Sanded and Primed all cabinet doors... First coat of gloss black drying as i type... more to come.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3219.jpg   IMG_3230.jpg  

IMG_3255.jpg  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita

I never thought of painting the inside of the fridge but made it look like new! What type of paint did you use on the fridge interior?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #4

Kentucky
I disassembled the fridge and door... i taped off the outside and all the interior guts,,, Before i spray paint anything, I always lightly scuff and wipe down with prep-sol (wax and grease remover)... and then i sprayed the inside with krylon fusion gloss white (formulated for plastic). After the inside dried, i taped it off. Then i sprayed the outside with satin nickel on the trim, and midnight metallic for the front panel.. I really like the look, I will post pics of the finished product tomorrow. I think it will hold up pretty good too.., and if it scratches,, i can always just touch it up... Our fridge still works pretty well,, but it was just fugly. Now it looks brand new. Total cost = $9 Happy wife, Happy Life.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #5

Name: Heidi
Trailer: '73 Trillium 1300
Saskatchewan
Great job! Can't wait to see more.
hajnfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
good job! looking forward to seeing the end result.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #7

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Great job so far. Looking forward to pics of the finished project--sounds like you've got some interesting ideas for colours
Phil
Old 08-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #8

Kentucky
progress.... feels great... lower back,,, not so great.

Here are some more pics to document the progress on the scamp. I have been a busy boy... First off,,, I would like to say thanks to everyone who has helped answer some of my newbie questions. thank you.

Progress...

I began to buff and wax the scamp, and it just didn't have the "glow" that i was looking for.. So my father and i cleaned the scamp with barkeepers friend, tsp, and zep wff'd it.. Wow. the shine brought the life back to the little egg... (it was starting to look like a powdered donut)

more pics to come
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3272.jpg   IMG_3274.jpg  

Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #9

Kentucky
walnut accents...

Since i will be installing "allure" american walnut flooring, I decided to wrap the rear overhead cabinets in 1/4 inch walnut.. The dinette and side tables will be made out of 3/4 inch walnut plywood, and i will be making countertops out of the 3/4 walnut ply as well. I will stain all the walnut to match the flooring as soon as it arrives (hd special delivery... lol) I also painted the rear cabinet corner trim gloss black to match the black cabinet doors. I am going to replace all the hinges with stainless, so i went ahead and sprayed the stock knobs to match (was just a test,,, but i really like them sprayed brushed nickel).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3298.jpg   IMG_3299.jpg  

IMG_3265.jpg   IMG_3264.jpg  

Old 08-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #10

Kentucky
some one of a kind pieces i will be adding....

My dad picked up this sink 30 years ago at a garage sale, and we never could find a good place for it in... It was kind of a family joke,,, My wife and i couldn't decide on accent colors for the interior of the scamp, and then i remembered that i had "the red sink". A decision was made!! I think it will look great tucked in a walnut counter top.

I found these hand carved wooden monks a few years ago. They were in the basement of a run-down building that i was remodeling (in the ghetto of Cincinnati).. I think they were supports for an old fireplace mantle. As soon as i saw them i loved them,,, but I could never decide what i wanted to do with them. And then my buddy suggested that i make them into new upper cabinet supports (ditch the twisted rod iron).. A decision was made. I will sand them down,,, and stain them to match the rest of the walnut... I figured that some good mojo can't hurt anything.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3305.jpg   IMG_3300.jpg  

Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #11

Kentucky
new a/c

I installed a new 8000 btu a/c. Had to do some custom stuff to keep it from fan-splashing water into the sink cabinet.. But once i figured it out it works like a charm and is bone dry. Now,, It is like an ice box in the scamp. I can't wait for our first outing with some 110 hook-ups. I figured this little up-grade was imperative with a 4 month old baby boy. But as soon as i installed it,,, the 100 degree temperatures seemed to disappear. Oh well,, it will get hot again.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3243.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #12

Kentucky
some more little accents.

I sprayed the vent fan cover, and the trim to the jensen escape hatch a dark midnight metallic (the same paint that i sprayed the fridge panel with). They appear black in the photos,, but the metallic really adds a little flare. I also went ahead and painted the bunk poles with a metallic brushed nickel.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3306.jpg   IMG_3307.jpg  

IMG_3308.jpg  
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Trailer: We have had all the brands at least once.
Very nice good workmanship soon to be better than new.
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Looking GOOD! Cant wait for the final photos!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #15

Kentucky
flooring in,, cabinets doors installed..

I knocked out a few more things on the scamp list.... I apologize, the pictures are a little dark... But I worked on it a little late tonight on it (and every night.)

I finished installing the allure walnut flooring. I went ahead and installed it under the rear dinette benches (up to water tank) and under the front bench cabinets. It is added weight, but it will be nice to not have to deal with the painted usb when loading gear. I was lucky that i ordered three boxes of the flooring (with a few pieces to spare, if anyone is curious?)

I mounted the freshly painted cabinet doors with the new stainless hardware. And i went ahead and painted the furnace cover with high temp gloss black to kinda tie everything together.

So far so good, I have really enjoyed working on this little camper. And i know we are going to put it to good use.. I think i started out with a good candidate for a resto, it seemed really solid camper. It just needed some love...

As far as the interior goes, I still need to build our walnut tables and counter tops (thats the fun part). However, my list continues to grow.... tv, stereo, speakers, led lights, solar, etc etc etc..

So far here is the progress... Two weeks into the resto.... thanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3319.jpg   IMG_3320.jpg  

IMG_3321.jpg   IMG_3323.jpg  

Old 08-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #16

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Wowser! You making it look better than the day it rolled of the show room floor! Nice work.................
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #17

Name: Heidi
Trailer: '73 Trillium 1300
Saskatchewan
Looking really good!
Old 09-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #18

Kentucky
few more checks on the list....

Well,,, besides the whole family getting the flu.. and then having to have a tooth pulled after a week of excruciating pain. I managed to check a few more things off the scamp remodel list..

First off... I finished up the woodwork on the dinette table, side table and rear overhead cabinets. I made the tables out of 3/4 walnut plywood with 1/4 inch walnut edging (with help from Sean at O'donnell woodworking and the use of his shop). Also, I really like the rear cabinets, after wrapping them with the 1/4 inch walnut plywood.

I also finished a few more little things (not pictured yet),, I sanded and painted the tongue of trailer gloss black, I installed a larger deep cycle battery and box, i installed a new propane tank, i finished the trim around floor and base cabinets, I stained the entry wood "dark walnut" by screen door, I glued new caps on all rivets/screws, and i mounted my new tires and rims.... unfortunately my camera battery died while documenting progress (I will post pictures tomorrow).

We have a camping trip planned in a few weeks at Red River Gorge in Eastern Ky.... and I finally feel confident it will be ready for the trip (except for the new cushion covers we are having re-upholstered.. but maybe we will get lucky)...

One month down... and it is ready to camp.. I don't think our scamp will ever be finished.. as I foresee lots of up-grades.. But alas,,, I think it is SCAMP-ABLE.

Thanks again to those who have answered some of my newbie questions. And thanks to my wife for understanding that i am on a mission... My baby boy Neil's first camping trip...

Enjoy.. More to come....
kevin
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3328.jpg   IMG_3377.jpg  

IMG_3378.jpg   IMG_3379.jpg  

Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 AM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
so clean and shiny! I'm sure you're pleased, I know I would be
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #20

Name: kootenai girl