Our '72 Compact Jr. project - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 AM   #15

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
AHA, Raya! Thanks!

I wonder if I stitch sleeves on the boot, however, if those stitches won't tend to leak in heavy rains. (I also wonder if the mere presence of the elastic immediately upon the canvas won't cause same.)

Our boot is a tight cotton weave, not canvas. Great for breathability, not as great as a rubberized surface for water protection - though we've had no leaks in fairly heavy rains (yet).

Jen

JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #16

Registry
It's been awhile since I offered an update 'cause it's been winter, and even by California standards that's meant not a lot of camping. (Mostly because of lots of other obligations after having been on the road 10 weeks last fall - our maiden journey in CJ.)

I took up Raya's suggestion and used the elastic around the top. I didn't do the sleeve thing because my top is ancient and I think it would crumble if stitched. The elastic is working beautifully to keep the canvas tucked in when I let down the top. When I get the nerve up to remove the canvas and build a new tent, I'll include the sleeve, though.

Today, motivated by the upcoming San Antonio Lake Rally (our first!), I finally wrapped up the tongue project. NOW I have a place for the spare and the battery will be moved outside in short order. ("All" I have to do is rewire the trailer to work from the new battery location, and while I'm at it reroute the wires so they're out of the way, not on the floor! OH...and run a charging line from the tug to the trailer.)

THEN all the operating systems will be operational...oh wait...it looks like my driver's side leaf spring may be broken...or bent flat...

Next project!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2547.gif   IMG_2548.gif  

Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #17

Registry
More pictures of The Tongue Project:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2549.gif   IMG_2550.gif  

Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #18

Registry
Exclamation

And finally...the other side:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2551.gif  
Old 04-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #19

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
And finally...the other side:

Very nice! I'll have to point Sis over to this thread so she can think about something like that for her Compact to get the battery out of the interior.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #20

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Great pics Jen! Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see how other Compactors have done things on their rigs.
My tongue is a little different, with a tool box attached right behind the jack, and then the propane tank behind that. My battery is inside, has the special compartment for it. I do not have a place for the spare tire though, so it currently just slides under the dinette table. SO your mod interests me very much. I've been thinking of some kind of spare tire mount on the side of the tongue, has anybody seen anything like that anywhere yet?

Joe
Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Is this what you had in mind ?

Bill K

http://www.etrailer.com/p-70036.htm

Name:   70036.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  7.7 KB

Quote:
Great pics Jen! Thanks for sharing, it's nice to see how other Compactors have done things on their rigs.
My tongue is a little different, with a tool box attached right behind the jack, and then the propane tank behind that. My battery is inside, has the special compartment for it. I do not have a place for the spare tire though, so it currently just slides under the dinette table. SO your mod interests me very much. I've been thinking of some kind of spare tire mount on the side of the tongue, has anybody seen anything like that anywhere yet?

Joe
Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #22

Registry
Thumbs up

[quote]Is this what you had in mind ?

Bill K

http://www.etrailer.com/p-70036.htm

Attachment 19392

That looks like it would work pretty well, Bill. What do you think, Joe?

There are some photos of others' tongue efforts at this discussion. You'll find some that might work for you there, Joe.

I think that a previous owner may have cut my tongue shorter and layered up the remains to bring the hitch up higher. Does your stack like mine, Joe (Larry, or any other CJ/Compact owner)?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Jen,
I think all the Compact models had a tongue that was a straight extension of the frame. This resulted in a coupler that was very low and some owners have altered their trailer tongue to raise it and better match their TV hitch. Mine is certainly altered.

http://s293.photobucket.com/albums/mm41/to...sonphotos18.jpg

Tom Trostel
Old 04-16-2009, 07:41 PM   #24

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Quote:
Jen,
I think all the Compact models had a tongue that was a straight extension of the frame. This resulted in a coupler that was very low and some owners have altered their trailer tongue to raise it and better match their TV hitch. Mine is certainly altered.

Tom Trostel
Tom--- yeah, I think a lot of the previous owners have take the easy way to overcome the "high tongue- low butt" signature of a CJ.... I took the harder way and installed a striaght axle (non-drop) in place of the factory one. Also, one the reasons was to gain ground clearance as it goes off-highway a lot. (hunting camps). Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0288__Small_.JPG   SANY0411__Small_.JPG  

Old 04-22-2009, 02:44 AM   #25

Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
SNIP!

Mine is certainly altered.

Wow...that's a LOT better lookin' (sturdier) job than the restack the PO did on mine!
Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 AM   #26

Registry
Thumbs down

This group is SO inspiring! I can't help but thank Larry (of Larry n' Carrie ) with his project details and Mike (Sanders ) for organizing the San Antonio Lake rally that's spurred me into action.

The trailer's starboard list had become increasingly pronounced. I hadn't been able to find a crack or break in the frame, cross members or welds. THe tongue looked to be in good shape. So all I could figure MIGHT be the issue was the leaf springs.

Well, now that I've taken them apart, I'm pretty darned certain THESE were the ORIGINAL leaf springs, put in place in May of 1972 and never replaced or re-arched. Those rusty nuts were TOUGH! Fortunately, while handing tools to Dad over the years, I've learned the proper use of a breaker bar (aka cheater).

I took the thing apart in just over an hour yesterday. I put it back together tonight in under an hour (if you don't count the wire-brush scrubbing then priming and painting of all related welds and parts). And, with the exception of a quick call to Larry (sorry for waking you Carrie) to ask about just HOW tight to tighten those spring bolts, I did it under my own steam.

What a great feeling!

Now...with these nicely arching springs that provide just THAT MUCH more lift...how do I get it out of the garage?! (Can you say, "A-I-R D-O-W-N?")
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2771.JPG   IMG_2772.JPG  

IMG_2773.JPG   IMG_2774.JPG  

IMG_2775.jpg   IMG_2785.JPG  

IMG_2786.JPG   IMG_2787.JPG  

Old 04-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #27

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:

I took the thing apart in just over an hour yesterday. I put it back together tonight in under an hour (if you don't count the wire-brush scrubbing then priming and painting of all related welds and parts). And, with the exception of a quick call to Larry (sorry for waking you Carrie) to ask about just HOW tight to tighten those spring bolts, I did it under my own steam.

What a great feeling!

Now...with these nicely arching springs that provide just THAT MUCH more lift...how do I get it out of the garage?! (Can you say, "A-I-R D-O-W-N?")
Jen-- she was just snoozing in the recliner..... .. when I mentioned it to her this morning, she din't even remember. One thing I forgot to tell ya is, check the u-bolts after the first trip, and re snug them. Always glad to help a fellow member... Larry
Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #28

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Industries
California
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey, that spare tire mount looks VERY promising! And that's the same website I got my hitch from for the CRV, so I feel good shopping with them. I'll have to do some measuring the next time I'm at the trailer and see if that's possible... Cause right now the spare hogs up a LOT of storage space under the bed! hehe

Keep up your great work Jen, and keep the pics coming too!

Joe