Our '72 Compact Jr. project - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #1

Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
The changes I'd like to make are many, but we're starting small with the things I can do in the driveway of the homeowners association (BOO!) where I live. Having just returned from a long trip, I feel pretty fortunate to have been able to get everything unpacked, cleaned and put away (except for the desk-type stuff which remains to be cleared...on some rainy day). Thought I'd get going on the trailer, but we're headed out camping again tomorrow for half a week, so here's all I got done:
Drawers now work - no more crashing to the floor on a side hill at lunchtime!

Carpet - cut and installed today. We can pull it out to shake it anytime. Should have cut it to extend into the lowest cupboards, but just couldn't make up my mind so I went the easier route. Now that I see it, I think the cupboard deal would've been better (for sliding things in and out). Ah well...live and learn. I'll put some extra pieces in there tomorrow before we pack up for the trip.

Next up (after camping) - I have to decide whether to reskin the cabinet faces. One is peeling where the drawer strikes it upon opening. Wood fill and paint, or enter (another) whole new world of carpentry?

Decide on, find and install paneling or rat fur
to cover my wonderfully shiny (and incredibly functional) Reflectix installed by previous owner (SO glad I didn't remove it)!

Paint interior
(anyone want to help with colors...I'm not so good at that).

And get down and dirty - sand, repair as needed and repaint frame. Not going to do the body off like some amazing people around here. (Have neither tools, nor experience, nor good will of neighbors for such an extensive driveway project.)

Move propane tank forward (slight) to make room for spare tire installation (so tired of hauling it in and out of the trailer or tow rig!), perhaps the battery will go there, too. Have experience grinding, but counting on a welder friend to help me with the rebuild.

Paint exterior? Perhaps someday. Bigger fish to fry, plus the girls' art is on the back and I'm not ready to cover that yet. Sure, they could make a new creation, but they're still pretty proud of this one.

Suggestions, pointers always welcomed!

Jen in Sunny California (80s again today)

JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Eggless at the moment
Great start. The link is broken. Enjoy your trips.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:03 AM   #3

Registry
Unhappy

ARGH! Trying link again...here you go:
so try THIS one.

Jen in super sunny CA (91 today - WHEW!)
Old 10-24-2008, 01:32 PM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr
Hey, I was just looking over your album, and I think I can actually make useful comments (perhaps) on some of your dilemmas.

Photo 3, peeling of the facia board: On Sis' Compact Jr., I glued down any loose splinters and used plastic wood to putty in the divots. A coat of paint, and it looked pretty good. On the two lower cabinets on the kitchen side, where Sis was dragging heavy boxes across the bottom edge of the door opening, I made up some aluminum channel protectors which slip over the lower edge of the opening and are screwed into place--that ought to prevent any further splintering!

Photo 7, removable seat tops: On Sis' trailer, we cut off about three inches from the back edge of the seat tops and hinged them (instead of having them removable). That's a little easier on them than sliding them in and out and tilting them up on their back edge.

Photo 9, wood around the door frame: Sis' trailer has simple boards around the doorway, painted. I suspect that yours was added by someone, since it looks pretty nice.

Cabinet doors: We painted Sis' doors, and it made a world of difference. They're actually two-toned; the center is pale dull blue and the molding around the outer edges is dark green.

Scuffed paint on bench fronts: We covered Sis' bench fronts with contact paper, but I wonder if Formica would have been a more durable choice...

You can see Sis' trailer at my photobucket site:

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z256/hi...iler%20project/

I've been using it for in-progress shots for Sis to look at (rather than emailing monstrous picture files) so there's a lot of garbage there, but there are some decent shots here and there.

I also posted a thread here during one of the periodic rework/repair/improvement sessions.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=26414
Old 10-25-2008, 08:23 AM   #5

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Steve, I really like the Moose material you used on the cushions, where did you happen to find it ? Tim
Old 10-25-2008, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Steve, I really like the Moose material you used on the cushions, where did you happen to find it ? Tim

Unfortunately, I can't help you ; the cushions were already done when Sis bought the trailer.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #7

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Hey, Steve, I've been meaning to ask, how did the icebox insulation work out? I'd sure like to do something to insulate my icebox, and I'd also like to insulate the drainpipe leading off it as water condenses there in humid weather.

Bobbie
Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 PM   #8

My sister reported that ice seemed to last a lot longer on her last trip (with the added insulation). So I'm putting it in the "success" column.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Quote:
Unfortunately, I can't help you ; the cushions were already done when Sis bought the trailer.
Thanks anyway. Tim
Old 10-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #10

Registry
Exclamation

Quote:
Hey, I was just looking over your album, and I think I can actually make useful comments (perhaps) on some of your dilemmas.
Wow, Steve, thanks for the great pointers! THAT'S why I put our project here. Sure, maybe some of my ideas will encourage someone else along, but I can use all the pointers I can get!

I especially liked the kitchen cabinet channel protector usage! I have stainless ones on my Jeep entry way. Shoulda thought of the crossover application.

I like the back step idea. While the trailer isn't often too far off the ground, my girls could sure use the step. It looks like you've made Sis's so the step can swing upward if it hits anything going FORWARD, but what if you're backing? Or does it swing up and stay out of the way all the time on the road? How does it lock up?

What's the switch for by the outlet?

Oh! I like that paint idea - center matching cabinet fascia with highlight around edge of drawers.

This week a bit distracted making the girls' Halloween costumes. Should be able to get on the trailer project Nov. 1!
Old 10-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
...I like the back step idea. While the trailer isn't often too far off the ground, my girls could sure use the step. It looks like you've made Sis's so the step can swing upward if it hits anything going FORWARD, but what if you're backing? Or does it swing up and stay out of the way all the time on the road? How does it lock up?

What's the switch for by the outlet?
The back step will fold up during travel, and be retained by a snap hook/spring arrangement. It isn't permanently installed yet; right now I'm waiting for the World's Slowest Drying Paint.

The switch by the outlet turns on the 110V lights--one in the "bedroom" and one in the "kitchen" over the stove. There's another outlet under the driver-side bench near the front of the trailer; I put it in so Sis could run a toaster at the breakfast table. Oh, and another over under the microwave, of course.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:00 AM   #12

Registry
Thanks to site users here, we came up with a pretty nice paint scheme for the interior of our Junior. And during a dump run my brain kicked in - I remembered a friend telling me paint was given away for free there. SURE ENOUGH! They take in "household hazardous waste" including paint. Then they distribute the paint freely (as long as it's lead-free).

I went through the available colors there and pulled out two I liked - a tan and a green that went with the original 1971 green stovetop. Using Steve's sister's idea of accent colors, I added some white to the tan to get a lighter shade - that covered the walls. Then I used the original darker tan/milk chocolate cover for the faces of the cabinets and drawers. Finally, I hand painted the beveled edge on each cabinet and drawer with the green. The paint is a bit pinky, but for free paint it's a pretty darned close second to the color I would've shelled for!

It's amazing what a chance a simple (or even not-so-simple) paint job can make!

Camped in it last week. Felt SO much more cozy than the old scuffed paint/worn floor look!

Next up - tongue work. (Getting down to serious business with the grinder and welder!)

Jen
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0288r.JPG   IMG_0289r.JPG  

IMG_0291r.JPG  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 AM   #13

Registry
After seeing this simple modification on someone else's popup FG, I "installed" elastic around the outside of our canvas "tent" last night. Works fairly well for keeping the canvas tucked in while folding down the top. One little section still wants to poke out the side, but that's better than the 6 areas that wanted to poke out before.

It seems the elastic wants to slide down the canvas 'til it's basically ineffective. What do those of you who use this method do to keep the elastic high enough to make a difference? Is there a way to suspend it so it won't slide down? And how do I get it tight enough to pull in that last portion without making it TOO tight on the canvas?
Old 12-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #14

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Jen,

I just added some information about a pop-top bungie-type variation in the thread where tops and bungies were being discussed. This one's in a channel sewn into the top. It's here:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...st&p=297669

Raya