Our '79 Trillium 4500 Love Story! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Idaho
Our '79 Trillium 4500 Love Story!

Be sure to read the ending!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxr5iibppr...04500.pdf?dl=0
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
pfinnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Trillium
MI
Questions about the love story

Hello Paul,

My family recently purchased a 1979 Trillium 4500, and would like to make some modifications that better suits our lifestyle. We like what you have done to yours in the love story, and were wondering if you would share the information on the parts that you used. We are particularly interested in the exterior access panels on the passenger side, and the screen door. We have already removed the furnace, and have been researching on repurposing the vent hole for a small cubby that contains an outlet. I am a handy person, but am new to RV's, and what's available. Thank you for any information that you can provide.
ihedonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My first modification would be to put the furnace back.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 I'd put the furnace back as well. They are very durable, and typically can be fixed if you have issues.

A prior owner on my Trillium removed the furnace. Its on my project list to find one and reinstall. Meantime, when I am dry camping, I have no heat, so I choose my route carefully and put up with it.

Note, I have two campers, so the modern Escape 19 gets most of the use, and it has a furnace. So on big trips I am fine.

Lots of dry camping out there (camping without hookups). National Parks, state parks, and even truck stops/Walmarts/etc when making time. Having heat without a hookup is important. 90% or more of my camping is dry camping. It is uncommon for a National Park Campground to have hookups, and when they do, its typically a small number of their total campsites. Example, in Yellowstone, only one campground has hookups and its a glorified parking lot. (Yellowstone has 12 campgrounds total). FWIW, the campground with hookups is closed for the entire year right now....

Second thing I would do is go to the Trillium section and read some of the various threads on common problems that need attention: window sealing and wood surround, belly band repair, body to frame bolts, and door hinges are some that come to mind.

Door locks varied year to year, my 1977 has a Bargman L-400. The L-400 is one of the most sought after vintage RV lock out there, and haven't been made in decades. Used ones pop up on eBay at a high price, so if yours is working well, cherish it! I have picked up a couple of backups as mine was not locking.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Trillium
MI
Thanks for the information, but I am really looking for those part numbers. The belly band has already been done, the window frames are in good condition as is a majority of the rest of the camper. The furnace is in working condition, with some minor issues, and I plan on keeping it if I decide to put it back in. My family camps in the summer in Michigan, and had previously tent camped down to 30 degrees Fahrenheit without issue. I have a window air conditioner that slides in the egress window mounted in a custom cradle that I made for the time being. My wife and I have decided to bring the camper up to the 21st century instead of keeping it authentic.
ihedonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #6

Idaho
I spent about $1000 on my restoration project and would be happy to share the parts list with you via email. Pffinnigan@gmail.com
Paul
Old 09-19-2019, 12:07 PM   #7

Idaho
Please remove this post
Old 09-19-2019, 12:40 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfinnigan View Post
Please remove this post

I don't think forums work that way.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Our '79 Trillium 4500 Love Story!

To delete a reply, access the website via your browser, select “edit” and you should get an option to delete. It must be done within the 12 hour edit window.

The delete option is not available on the mobile app.

After the edit window has expired you need a moderator. On the website there is a small “contact us” link way down at the bottom of every page. Let them know what you want deleted.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium