Our air conditioning solution - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Well, after weeks of loathing the need to cut into the curved lines of our 13' Burro for air conditioning, we have a solution underway. (Portable self-standing room air conditioners are just too big and expensive!) I am still chuckling !

The closet solution that so many on this forum use is not possible for our Burro. The closet is too small. But we wanted something that looked factory done and/or normal. Kevin was going to make a painted pine box, but I was afraid it would look like a painted pine box, just added on. So, I threw out the suggestion last night that he hide the portable window air conditioner in a cooler, cut out to fit the back of the window air conditioner that must extend outside, and resting on the platform he had planned to build, so that it would be a normal-appearing cooler riding on a platform behind the Burro, just like many people do with their coolers. I just checked, and darned if he did not take my idea and is doing it. The back of the air conditioner is resting in a cut-away, plastic drink cooler, riding right beside the spare tire, on a frame affixed to the bumper and looking like a perfectly normal cooler on the back of the trailer.

I took pix (It is not done yet.), but I can't upload them yet The camera cables are not in the camera case.

Cindy
Old 07-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
what an interesting and innovative idea! I love it- can't wait to see the pics!

Jaye
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Cindy, Somehow I missed your initial post introducing yourself. Another Burro! Welcome to FGRV!
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #4

Registry
Thanks. Married to Kevin A on this forum.

Cindy
Old 07-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Trillium 13 ft
OK, so when you're camping and someone reaches for a "cold one" it's gonna be a REAL surprise!

Wonder why no one thought of that before? It sounds like a great idea
Hope you find the cables soon- we wanna see the pictures!

Gramma Pat
Patricia Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #6

Registry
OK, hubby just had cables in computer case. We just got back from a conference on technology.

Here are pix. Hope the last one is not turned. I tried to fix it, but it seemed to have a mind of its own.

Of course, we cannot run the air with the cooler on. It is for protection as we drive and for looks.

Cindy
Attached Thumbnails
cooler_2_thum.jpg   cooler_3.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 07-09-2006, 08:29 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Very cool!!
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #8

Registry
Thanks. We kinda think it is cool too (and hopefully literally too.). We painted a red cooler blue to match the decor of the Burro but will likely need to replace it with a real blue one in the future.

Our Burro goes out for the first time tomorrow to see how it acts before we take it to Pine Ridge and Yellowstone next week for two weeks. We are pulling it with our Eurovan and entering both into a VW car show. The colors we chose for the inside of our Burro match our '68 Volkswagen pickup, but the pickup is another project before it can pull the Burro.

Cindy
Old 07-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #9

Registry
We took our first trip out with the Burro this weekend. Very neat! Air conditioning worked fine. We entered our Eurovan in a VW contest. We didn't win anything (think we were out-of-staters and couldn't win with the Burro in this one), but the Burro got LOTS of lookers. Wives loved it; thought it was cute. Had its picture taken a few times. Husbands looked too. A couple were heard to say, "There's an air conditioner inside. Where is it outside?" So then we told them.

We redid the cooler though. We had painted the other one to match the light blue color scheme of our Burro (Our VW pickup is light blue and white.), but the bungie cords that hold it on peeled even the "Fusion" paint. So we got a different one that already was blue and redid it.

On the trip, we lost our temporary license plate (We have had the Burro for two months, but our state is way behind in issuing plates.) So Kevin mounted a new plate holder on the two legs that he made for air conditioner. This will keep it out of the wind and secure.

Cindy
Old 07-16-2006, 08:59 PM   #10

Trailer: Amerigo 16 ft 1972
Very nice mod! I spent the better part of the weekend replacing the A/C mod in the Amerigo. Got the old unit out and found the plywood rotted. Of course the 80/20 rule applies here - 80% of the plywood came right out and 20% took forever. Fortunately, the Amerigo has a "trunk", so not a big deal once I replaced the wood - and more importantly, the DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner) hadn't done anything too crazy...

Here are a couple of pics.
Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	amerigo_AC_003.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	3970
Attached Thumbnails
amerigo_AC_004.jpg  
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 07:32 AM   #11

Registry
Hey, cool!
Boy, the air conditioning made all the difference in camping this weekend. Kinda fun figuring out how to do it, isn't it?

Cindy
Old 07-17-2006, 08:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
[quote]Very nice mod! I spent the better part of the weekend replacing the A/C mod in the Amerigo. Got the old unit out and found the plywood rotted. Of course the 80/20 rule applies here - 80% of the plywood came right out and 20% took forever. Fortunately, the Amerigo has a "trunk", so not a big deal once I replaced the wood - and more importantly, the DPO (Dreaded Previous Owner) hadn't done anything too crazy...

Here are a couple of pics.
Steve

Attachment 3970

Apparently you need to open the trunk when using the AC? Or am I missing something in viewing your photos?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #13

Trailer: Amerigo 16 ft 1972
Quote:
Apparently you need to open the trunk when using the AC? Or am I missing something in viewing your photos?
Yes, that's correct - you do need to open the trunk. I'm thinking about cutting part of the trunk door and replacing it with a grill of some type, but I need to look at mass air, etc. to figure out what size/type of grill. The door angles in so rain shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for not asking about the blue and brown wires coming out of the battery case...
Steve
steveh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #14

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Tirah
Quote:
OK, hubby just had cables in computer case. We just got back from a conference on technology.

Here are pix. Hope the last one is not turned. I tried to fix it, but it seemed to have a mind of its own.

Of course, we cannot run the air with the cooler on. It is for protection as we drive and for looks.

Cindy
What a creative solution! It looks really clean. You'd never know there was an air conditioner in there.
Tirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:16 PM   #15

Registry
Thanks. It was fun to watch the guys reactions at the VW show we took the Burro to when they looked inside and could see it inside but not outside. Now I am trying to think of ways to install the microwave. It doesn't fit in the closet either.

Our Burro is on its way to Pine Ridge Reservation for a week followed by a week at Yellowstone. We have seen lots of campers but no fiberglass ones yet. Tows like a dream, even full of supplies for the Lakota.

Cindy
Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
mine is located under the front bench.. I put a return grill for the exhaust in so that when I travel I can put in a piece of plexi so the road water and grim doesnt get in ...and just open it and remove when using A/C it has a drain pan under it and and a 3/4" drain out underneath..and intake air vents under the seats ...it also give alot of support to the bench

Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
intake air vents under bench this is done on both sidesso it doesnt have to slide ..
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote