Our bed is too small!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

Name: Kristin
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
Our bed is too small!!!

Hi All, I thought I posted something here last week about my particular issue but I can't find the post so I'm back...

AI have a 16ft Casita Spirit Deluxe that I purchased for a great price and in great condition....and probably a little too hasty. I love the trailer but the bed is so small. I was wondering if anyone out there had ever heard of or undertaken making the bed bigger somehow? Possibly by removing part of the galley or twin bed area?

I'm trying to be hopeful...

Thank you!
Yogabella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:58 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I tried to search but couldn't find the mods that I know I must have seen here but here is a link to a Scamp modification that might at least give you a direction to go in: Extended Bed Mod | Scamp Owners International

Also, if you google for "casita bed modifications" you can get some photo ideas probably.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:59 PM   #3

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Good luck there, it can be done but lots of dyi handiwork. We have a Scamp 13 we started sleeping opposite (head to foot) not for everyone but it works for us. We are considering an upgrade!!
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Welcome to the forum. You might find this thread generates some ideas.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...bed-68259.html

It's important to remember that many of the vertical structures are important to keeping the roof from buckling. i.e. dividers, kitchen walls, closet. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Head to toe helps a bit, a more comfortable mattress helps some too, a different camper with a bigger bed layout helps the most.
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #6

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
ParkLiners have a queen size bed. There's one for sale right now.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogabella2 View Post
Hi All, I thought I posted something here last week about my particular issue but I can't find the post so I'm back...

AI have a 16ft Casita Spirit Deluxe that I purchased for a great price and in great condition....and probably a little too hasty. I love the trailer but the bed is so small. I was wondering if anyone out there had ever heard of or undertaken making the bed bigger somehow? Possibly by removing part of the galley or twin bed area?

Thank you!
We had a Casita 16 for a year with a side dinette. If you're considering twin beds, consider using the side dinette as a twin. It could easily be set u each night for use as a bed.

We've had a small trailer for 8 years and joked about the size of the bed before we hit the road. However , we've learned to love it. Personally I'd give it a try for a little longer before giving up.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Small bed vs large bed.

10 years ago when I first acquired my Scamp I thought the bed was quite small, but it was not a lot different than the floor space in my backpacking tent. Fast forward 10 years and about a 1000 nights, I think my home queen size bed to large.
One of things about a small trailer shared with another person you have to be good friends. Large beds are made for people that don't like to be close.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:42 PM   #9

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We got our CompactII for the near queen sized bed after looking at the barely-bigger-than-twin on many eggs!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 01:33 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogabella2 View Post

Thank you!
Lots of bed mod threads over on casitaforum.com

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
Our first bed was a double, but had springs built in that poked. We bought a kingsize bed but "got lost" in it at night. Back to a double with springy slats. Fine with it. My trailer will have 2" less than that, I don't think it will matter much.
Double sized beds were probably the norm for our grandparents ;-) tray to make them proud LOL
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:56 PM   #12

Name: Kristin
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
California
THANK YOU!

Thanks everyone! We just bought the Casita so a new trailer isn't what we have in mind and we've tried sleeping head to tow but my bunkmate is 6'1" and it was a challenge!

On nights we have to sleep inside the trailer and not in our tent we may just have to sleep separate and utilize the twin dinette bed.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful responses, I appreciate it
Yogabella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 AM   #13

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We also have a Casita Spirit. I talked to Casita last winter. They said you can easily remove the partition between the bed and the dinette. You need to build a platform to put between the kitchen and the dinette seat next to the bed. Then use the other dinette seat to go on top of the platform. You will then have a double for your feet and a king for the knees up. They said many owners have made this modification. There is a post of this modification somewhere on the Casita forum.

We just got our Casita out of storage so haven't done this yet, but by the end of July it will be complete and I'll post pictures of the final product.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:34 PM   #14

Name: Babs
Trailer: Parkliner
Colorado
If you are inclined to skip the hassle, expense and loss of otherwise usable space maybe your best choice would be to replace the camper you have with another size or brand.

Right up-front I will state that we do have a Parkliner and it is for sale. Also, I do believe it is one of the best floor plans and well thought-out interior designs to maximize space in an 7'x12' shell. That said, I will share info with you specifically about the bed. The dinette conversion for sleeping is 81" long by 5' wide. The cushions are thick, dense and upholstered with binded edges which minimizes them breaking down. Therefore they fit tightly together so there is no shifting or uneven surface. Throw down a comforter, lie down, throw one over yourselves and enjoy a great nights sleep.

However, we are selling the camper because we do have an issue with the bed. Well, actually the issue is with our decrepit bodies, not the bed. Somebody has to climb over the other body to get up. Creekie knees all round (one replaced) and a recent massive rotator cuff tear; selling seems better than investing in Depends . . ha-ha!!!

I would encourage anyone looking for a small camper to check out the Parkliner for themselves. The specs are all there and the list of features and options leaves you wondering, "how did they do that"? And the aisle is still 31" wide! "How did they do that"? Sound like a sales pitch, you betcha.
Barbara McQ is offline   Reply With Quote