Our Burro Renovation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Our Burro Renovation

Today we started our renovation. Badly installed hardwood removed with carpet underneath. No wonder there was a funky smell!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428194245.973976.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	82255

Then we laid foam insulation to help level out the different levels in the floor. Just laid it on top and taped the seams with duct tape "the real kind".

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428194405.121901.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	82256

We opted for hickory vinyl planks. They snapped together pretty easy, but fitting them along the curves proved to be challenging. Maneuvering the 4' planks inside the trailer really was a one person job.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428194798.188988.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	82257

I hadn't planned on installing molding, but broke down and bought some white rubber base, since it just wasn't possible to match the curves with planks. Installing the base is slated for tomorrow. I wanted to wipe down all the areas the base will go, but realized everywhere needed Magic Eraser-ed. So I've got one whole wall done (the kitchen side) and have lost steam for the day.
OC-100 Adhesive Remover also was my best friend today. There was some serious goo on the backsplash, like something was glued there at some point. There were also two original foil warning stickers under the stovetop, that I personally thought were common sense. The foil front came right off but it left all the sticky in place. One application of the adhesive remover and it was gone.
I also switch out the gold curtain rods and brackets for oiled bronze today. My plan is to make new curtains tomorrow.
I also ripped out the air conditioner, so we can put the fridge back in its place. My husband should never leave me alone with a screw gun and a hammer. Demo is fun.
I found some fun knobs to replace the boring black knobs. These go with the woodland theme I've got going on, right? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428196011.735223.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	82258 Before. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428196024.137675.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	82259 After.

Stay tuned for more progress! We've got lots planned and list grows hourly!!

If traveling was free, you'd never see me again.
ALDx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

Name: Steph
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13'
California
Registry
Very pretty floor, so "clean" looking
ratty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks great.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #4

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Your floor looks great. We bought BamBoo flooring for our 82 Burro. I hope it comes out as beautiful as yours did.
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:16 AM   #5

Name: roy
Trailer: Casita 16', Sunrader 18'
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to roy vannoy
You did a very nice job on your flooring. My vinyl install after a year is not looking so beautiful. After a year with the temp changes I have gaps between the planks. I used Allure 101-701 oak plank with sealing edges. Would you post the product name and model you installed. I'm looking for a better idea.
roy vannoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #6

Name: Arnold
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
California
Roy, We haven't installed our floor yet but we bought our flooring at Costco. We bought the BamBoo made out real wood. It costs more but I think it will be worth the money. Arnold
Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:49 AM   #7

Name: roy
Trailer: Casita 16', Sunrader 18'
Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to roy vannoy
Thanks Arnold.
roy vannoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #8

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Looking great and I love hickory. The knobs are neat also. I hope you'll post some more pics of the finished job.
I couldn't find the OC-100 online. Think it's better than goo gone?

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
nice job
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #10

Hi, Everyone!
The OC-100 is made by Parts Master. It's waaayyyy better than goo gone. I could see the adhesive bubble about 30 seconds after spraying it.
The flooring is Shaw. I'll keep you posted on how it holds up. I'm not super confident it's going to last the wear and tear of 2 humans and 3 dogs... That's a lotta feet walking over it. I really appreciate the heads up and solution to the vinyl peeling up on the edges! I can be prepared to attack any wear now.

First thing this morning, I pulled down the nasty headliner carpet. Ugh! Dirty job that was. I got covered in a rust colored dust. I did give us a good view of the dip in our ceiling and thanks to some good ideas from some friends on the U-Haul Facebook page, we think we'll be able to pop that back up, stabilize , reinforce, and then cover back up with carpet. I sanded a lot of the excess orange glue from the edges of the carpet, so it would be clean looking when we get that reinstalled.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428271982.933668.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	82277

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428271999.443259.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	82278

Meanwhile, some serious sanding went on outside. So much sanding happened on the outside, I kinda felt like I was rocking on a boat while working inside. The PO waxed the outside, painted the window wells (poorly), then clear coated everything except the roof. I've been back and forth on painting it, but now that we've had to sand everything, we might as well. Planning a black, silver and white roof scheme. We still have the roof to sand, but planning a Fantastic Fan install and the roof indentation fix, and figured we'd only climb up there once.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428272244.786578.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	82279

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428272275.051152.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	82280

I attempted to put vinyl molding around the upper cabinets today and failed miserably. I was using 90 degree angled so that the inside edges of the cabinets would be finished better, but I'm giving up that dream. We'll just use flat vinyl molding...I may be better at mitering that! I took a couple of before pics of this, but it'll be a couple weeks before I can post finished. I'm leaving my husband to work on the camper, while I go to Mexico to drink on the beach with my coworkers. I also took some before pictures of the gold hinges, which I swapped out for oiled bronze today. All the cabinets are down, while we work on the trim, so again after pictures will come later.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428272886.430720.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	82282

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1428272844.563410.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	82281

What have any of you done with your closet? Mine is way deeper (like down towards the floor) than the door opening and I'm not sure how to go about making this more useful. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I did pull out the air conditioner yesterday and ordered a refrigerator to fit the hole. I got to smash things in the process, which you'll learn, I like to do. We looked at 2 way or 3 way fridges and just decided to go with a standard 1.7 cubic foot dorm fridge that fit the opening. We figure we'll be running the solar panel enough to manage the load and we'll only be using it for perishable food, so it won't be opened often.

Today, I put in the rubber base on one side of the trailer. I got about half way around and then it got all wonky. Maybe I was just running low on steam, and was frustrated with the molding episode. I should probably cut it at the halfway point and start again fresh another day. I'll post pics once I'm satisfied with the finished product. I do like the way the white rubber base finishes out and looks on the fiberglass.

Austin plans on working on getting the roof shored up and getting a fantastic fan installed while I'm gone next weekend. I'm pushing him to get the LED lighting done too, but he may already have a full plate with the roof and fan. You should see the silicone around the existing vent!

Stay tuned for more progress!

If traveling was free, you'd never see me again.
ALDx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #11

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 1995 16 ft Scamp
Virginia
Thanks for posting your projects & progress!
artrageous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:28 AM   #12

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Great work and pics, thanks for sharing your experience with us all. Looking forward to the progress!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro