Our complete Burro 13'. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #15

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I'm getting ready to cut a new table top for the larger (rear) table in my Burro (the original was missing.) Most of the time, the "table top" will actually be part of the "mattress support" as I have a one-piece foam mattress that a PO had made up specially for that spot. BUUUT, I want to make it usable as a table if the need arises, so I am wondering about using one of the flush mounted base plates that go down into the floor instead of having that big bump in the middle of what would usually be slide-in storage space. What do you think about that?

Froggie

Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
What a fanfastic job. Looks great. I'd like to see a photo of your rolling AC unit. your Burro is similar to my U Haul 13 and I'm considering a portable unit. I am thinking about placing the AC unit in the closet but the dimensions are real close. Keep us posted. Nice job. h.mike

Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #17

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Baker View Post
Very nice. Jen, the shelves are much like mine. They are made from a repurposed shower stall using the edges for shelf ledges. Make a cardboard template. Cut the shelves from the outside edges. Attach with hinges (for brackets) and use rivets to attach the hinges through the interior layer of fiberglass. Put masking tape around the drill bit so you know how deep to go -about a quarter inch. They make a nice sturdy shelf. rb
Rusty,

What material was used in the shower stall/shelf? Is it fiberglass or some sort of poly or plastic? Do you remember where they were sold? I'm really starting to feel like I need to put in at least the rear shelf... that's where my bed will be most of the time, I think, and having storage above that for clothing, linens, etc. would be a most useful addition. The original Burro instructions I have show a really neat shelf with a front lip, but I don't have any way of getting one of those!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie T View Post
Great remodel!

I really would love to know how you are mounting your tv? I have a 17ft burro and am having a difficult time deciding how and where to mount a 22 inch vizeo tv with a non standard mounting bracket.

Seeing your install, I am inspired because I never thought about mounting it up front about the table.

I would love to hear details on your install.

With much appreciation,

Laurie
For the B17, should you change your mind and decide that you want your TV at the side over the rear dinette/master suite, try this undercab bracket: Amazon.com: VideoSecu Under Cabinet Mount Flip for LCD TV monitor Black LCD-CM 1MS: Electronics Worked for me but I had a standard rivnut pattern on the back of a relatively recent 19" flatscreen of reasonable weight and an easy thrubolt in the left side upper locker.

jack
Old 07-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #19

Name: Rusty
Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Washington
Froggie, Fiberglass shower stalls were used in the 60's and probably earlier and later than that. Ask any contractor who does remodeling and see if they will save one for you, or you can possibly advertise for one on craigslist. They have a "lip" which was attached to a 2 x4 during installation. good luck. rb
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I'm getting ready to cut a new table top for the larger (rear) table in my Burro (the original was missing.) Most of the time, the "table top" will actually be part of the "mattress support" as I have a one-piece foam mattress that a PO had made up specially for that spot. BUUUT, I want to make it usable as a table if the need arises, so I am wondering about using one of the flush mounted base plates that go down into the floor instead of having that big bump in the middle of what would usually be slide-in storage space. What do you think about that?

Froggie
I put a flush-mount socket in the floor of my sister's friend Karen's Burro:

Worked just fine. Another thing I did that you might want to consider, is I built a hollow-core tabletop: A frame of 1x4 lumber with 1/8 plywood on each side, put together with plenty of glue, with Formica and an aluminum edge trim to finish it off. A bit of work, but much lighter than a solid plywood tabletop. Here are pics of the framework and the finished table:

Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM   #21

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Baker View Post
Froggie, Fiberglass shower stalls were used in the 60's and probably earlier and later than that. Ask any contractor who does remodeling and see if they will save one for you, or you can possibly advertise for one on craigslist. They have a "lip" which was attached to a 2 x4 during installation. good luck. rb
Rusty (and other interested parties)

I haven't had any luck finding the shower pan you mention. Other than finding one from a tear-out/rebuild, does anyone know of a source? At this point, if I could even get one it would be great. That extra storage space would be worth silver and gold!!

TIA ~ Froggie
Old 08-31-2011, 01:22 AM   #22

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
I think most residential shower pans are going to be too large. They're about 9sft
http://m.americanstandard-us.com/pro...l.aspx?id=2111

Regards,

Matt
Old 08-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #23

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt in SV View Post
I think most residential shower pans are going to be too large. They're about 9sft
American Standard Mobile Site

Regards,

Matt
Matt,

If I understood Rusty's post correctly, the pan in question would have been about 5-6' long so it could be split lengthways and then trimmed on the ends to fit into the front or rear curvature of the body to make overhead shelves as we see on post #1 and which I asked about later in the thread. The original 1983 instructions that came with the Burro mention installing shelves in that way, but Burro didn't offer the stock to make the shelves from, nor did they tell where to get it (even then.) I would like to find some sort of fiberglass tray with a lip that can be put into that location to store fairly light objects like pillows, sleeping bags and towels. Efficient allocation of space in that little 13 footer is always an important consideration.

Froggie

PS Nowadays I can find that 9 sq ft shower pan, but it is only 3' X 3', so it isn't long enough.

Tags
burro