Our complete Burro 13'. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #1

Name: Elie
Trailer: 1983 Burro 13'
Colorado
Our complete Burro 13'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1971.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	37678[attach]37678[/Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1971.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	37678

Name:	DSCN1972.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	37679

Name:	DSCN1975.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	37680

Name:	DSCN2201.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	37682

Name:	DSCN2199.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	37683

Name:	DSCN2203.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	37684

Name:	DSCN2204.jpg
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	37685

Name:	DSCN2220.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	37686

Name:	DSCN2216.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	37687

Name:	DSCN2198.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	37688attach]

Name:	DSCN1972.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	37679

Name:	DSCN1975.jpg
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	37680
Elie BBBurro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:	nice2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	37681
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Great job--love the colors!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #4

Colorado
I didn't know this project was an obstacle in my life that needed. Now everything is cool.I lost sleep over it, found myself driving on highway frontage roads in wheat fields with four hours of sleep looking for goodies. I'm 36, it was like one-hundred days till X-mas like never before. I'm broke now. To start. This Burro wasn't abused too badly, it was local,I was lucky. I think the interior is inferior to other fiberglass campers. I'm glad this is the one. I started gutting it before a snowstorm on March 2nd the day i got it. I put new lam floors, interior, replaced the door latch with a real door latch(old type is junk),rewired all, bought proper led(48x2)on both sides. I also have battery type too; Don't want to be in the dark. I also added a Fantastic 4000 tech fan. I went to a carpet store chose the pattern, cut it my self, and called Stan the binding man. My talented girlfriend Little Bear did all the sewing, without her I don't know... I tried my hardest not to drill holes, and did well. I need to have some crankin tunes so I found a sterio that has all the inputs added an amp 12in sub for home use. The 50w solar panel powers everything. Since it gets hot here I put my rolling A/C(not solar) unit up front and vented it through the window. Some tools, and materials were found at the local Recource yard. Seals were at the upholstery shop. I am so glad it's done.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Thanks for sharing the picture and the story! May you find all the work you did gives you plenty of camping experiences and makes lots of great memories too.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #6

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
All I can say is WOW!

That is the most beautiful interior in a Burro that I have seen after months of searching. One question... were the shelves already hung in front and back when you got it, or did you add them? They make such a great difference in the storage space available. It appears that they have recessed lighting (can lights?) installed. Is this the case? How are they working out for you? (OK, so I asked more than one question, you were showing it off, right?) Thanks for sharing what is a real treasure of a build... nothing really radical, but obviously done with lots of planning and great ideas.

Regards,
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Elie, fantastic job on the interior. I think this story is a familiar one with many of us, I didn't know what I was getting into and how much time and work it was going to be to finish. Now that it's done, you have a completely custom trailer for your needs, and one that looks cool to boot. Great job.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #8

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
It's lovely! I would like to hear more about the overhead shelves, too.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #9

Colorado
For the lighting on the shelves I used cheap battery powered for versatility. The primary LED lights are at the end of the cabinet on each side. Each have 48 LED off solar. They give plenty of light, and the fiberglass reflects well. I payed $9 apiece.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #10

Colorado
The shelves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Elie, fantastic job on the interior. I think this story is a familiar one with many of us, I didn't know what I was getting into and how much time and work it was going to be to finish. Now that it's done, you have a completely custom trailer for your needs, and one that looks cool to boot. Great job.
The shelves were there. I am lucky this one had them; I just reinforced. Every one is different.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Very nice. Jen, the shelves are much like mine. They are made from a repurposed shower stall using the edges for shelf ledges. Make a cardboard template. Cut the shelves from the outside edges. Attach with hinges (for brackets) and use rivets to attach the hinges through the interior layer of fiberglass. Put masking tape around the drill bit so you know how deep to go -about a quarter inch. They make a nice sturdy shelf. rb
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 17 ft Burro (Dance Hall Edition ''The Casbah'')
Great remodel!

I really would love to know how you are mounting your tv? I have a 17ft burro and am having a difficult time deciding how and where to mount a 22 inch vizeo tv with a non standard mounting bracket.

Seeing your install, I am inspired because I never thought about mounting it up front about the table.

I would love to hear details on your install.

With much appreciation,

Laurie
Laurie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #13

Colorado
Monitor install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie T View Post
Great remodel!

I really would love to know how you are mounting your tv? I have a 17ft burro and am having a difficult time deciding how and where to mount a 22 inch vizeo tv with a non standard mounting bracket.

Seeing your install, I am inspired because I never thought about mounting it up front about the table.

With much appreciation,

Laurie
I had an older Dell monitor sitting around with a strong base with swivel. The ledge for the bunk looked sturdy so I cut a piece of lam wood (the same as floor) glued it and put an aluminum trim around to finish. I then cut the excess metal from the base to fit, drilled two 1/4 in holes through and used bolt-wing nut combo with washers. It comes out in a minute. Then I ran wires to the back (audio). I covered the VGA cable with white duct tape. Not a TV. We use it to stream videos off the computer via cell phone connection. I hope this inspires you.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #14

Name: Christina
Trailer: 85 U-Haul
Colorado
You did a great job!! It gives me inspiration to get back to work on ours!!! It is a lot of work but soooo worth it in the end- happy camping!
~Christina
Christina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #15

Virginia
Registry
I'm getting ready to cut a new table top for the larger (rear) table in my Burro (the original was missing.) Most of the time, the "table top" will actually be part of the "mattress support" as I have a one-piece foam mattress that a PO had made up specially for that spot. BUUUT, I want to make it usable as a table if the need arises, so I am wondering about using one of the flush mounted base plates that go down into the floor instead of having that big bump in the middle of what would usually be slide-in storage space. What do you think about that?

Froggie
Old 07-25-2011, 02:32 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
What a fanfastic job. Looks great. I'd like to see a photo of your rolling AC unit. your Burro is similar to my U Haul 13 and I'm considering a portable unit. I am thinking about placing the AC unit in the closet but the dimensions are real close. Keep us posted. Nice job. h.mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #17

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Baker View Post
Very nice. Jen, the shelves are much like mine. They are made from a repurposed shower stall using the edges for shelf ledges. Make a cardboard template. Cut the shelves from the outside edges. Attach with hinges (for brackets) and use rivets to attach the hinges through the interior layer of fiberglass. Put masking tape around the drill bit so you know how deep to go -about a quarter inch. They make a nice sturdy shelf. rb
Rusty,

What material was used in the shower stall/shelf? Is it fiberglass or some sort of poly or plastic? Do you remember where they were sold? I'm really starting to feel like I need to put in at least the rear shelf... that's where my bed will be most of the time, I think, and having storage above that for clothing, linens, etc. would be a most useful addition. The original Burro instructions I have show a really neat shelf with a front lip, but I don't have any way of getting one of those!
Old 07-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #18

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie T View Post
Great remodel!

With much appreciation,

Laurie
For the B17, should you change your mind and decide that you want your TV at the side over the rear dinette/master suite, try this undercab bracket: Amazon.com: VideoSecu Under Cabinet Mount Flip for LCD TV monitor Black LCD-CM 1MS: Electronics Worked for me but I had a standard rivnut pattern on the back of a relatively recent 19" flatscreen of reasonable weight and an easy thrubolt in the left side upper locker.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
Froggie, Fiberglass shower stalls were used in the 60's and probably earlier and later than that. Ask any contractor who does remodeling and see if they will save one for you, or you can possibly advertise for one on craigslist. They have a "lip" which was attached to a 2 x4 during installation. good luck. rb
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #20

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
I'm getting ready to cut a new table top for the larger (rear) table in my Burro (the original was missing.) Most of the time, the "table top" will actually be part of the "mattress support" as I have a one-piece foam mattress that a PO had made up specially for that spot. BUUUT, I want to make it usable as a table if the need arises, so I am wondering about using one of the flush mounted base plates that go down into the floor instead of having that big bump in the middle of what would usually be slide-in storage space. What do you think about that?

Froggie
I put a flush-mount socket in the floor of my sister's friend Karen's Burro:

Worked just fine. Another thing I did that you might want to consider, is I built a hollow-core tabletop: A frame of 1x4 lumber with 1/8 plywood on each side, put together with plenty of glue, with Formica and an aluminum edge trim to finish it off. A bit of work, but much lighter than a solid plywood tabletop. Here are pics of the framework and the finished table:

Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro