Our new UHaul - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-09-2007, 03:32 PM   #29

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Here's the picture of the latch, Terry.
And Anne, I was not quite done. I added rugs today and finished off the bathroom. I am going to hang a clock yet and a full-length mirror.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Refridgerator_latch.jpg   finished_bathroom.jpg  

.jpg   update_living_room_2.jpg  

Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #30

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Cindy, be careful of the rug in the john. I learned the hard way that my grey water will come out the lowest drain when the tank has "Had enough". I ruined the rug I had in there.

Now, the dog has a fluffy red bed that smells like snacks.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #31

Illinois
Registry
Thanks, Gina. Our bathroom has a porta-potty that tucks under the seat beside the privacy room. As I understand it, the 16' UHaul simply came with a privacy room and the tuck-under portapotty, so someone must have added the shower. Honestly, I doubt that the potty will be used during the day, under the assumption that the campground will have a toilet. At night, the rug will be rolled up, probably along with the shower mat that I have under it, when the potty is brought out. But, given your warning, I will likely take up the rug during travel too, just in case.

Right now, I am debating getting a folding seat of some kind for the bathroom too, so that Kevin has some place to sit as he can't stand in the bathroom. Trouble is, I think it should be higher than most are made, and I want it to fold up. But then again, I am not sure I want it either. Just looking for now.

CindyL
Old 05-13-2007, 04:54 AM   #32

Illinois
Registry
If anyone wants to see this, I posted the Uhaul restoration pictures (141 and adding) here:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dr_cindy_ander...460762401308683

CindyL
Old 05-13-2007, 08:35 PM   #33

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
If anyone wants to see this, I posted the Uhaul restoration pictures (141 and adding) here:

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/dr_cindy_ander...460762401308683

CindyL
And there will be more! I finished painting the sides today and got the rims done, too. I also put a batwing antenna on the roof for our LCD TV.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #34

Illinois
Registry
OK, I posted additional pix. Sorry about the number of them. I got a new digital SLR camera a couple of weeks ago for a Mother's Day gift. What can I say? We are practicing with the lens for our daughter's graduation this weekend.

Cindy
Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #35

Oak Park, IL
Well, we took it out on Howie's maiden voyage to Nauvoo, IL for the Scamp Camp and had a blast! The folks were great, they liked the UHaul, and we enjoyed the extra space inside. Now, the trip home was another story. About halfway into the 5 hour drive, the right tire completed fell apart. It looks like it was a retread the way it separated. In the 100 yards it took me to stop on the side of the tollway, the rim was running on the ground and the tire remains were smokin'! The whole things was so hot that it boiled off the water from the rag I used to first grab it. I let it sit for about 30 minutes, go the rim off the trailer, and tried the spare. (Yes, it had air because I'd done that before the trip.) When I put it on, the drum made crunching noises inside, so I'm guessing the brake pads or parts had been damaged. Since the brakes weren't working anyway, I wasn't worried about that. However, the drum didn't want to rotate much, either. I figured it was the heat causing expansion. I put the spare on the studs and found that the rim's center hole was not quite big enough for the axle stub to stick through. No go! I ended up tightening the lug nuts as tight as they'd go, but the rim is riding a bit further out than it should. I had to get home, so I took it easy and made it back to Oak Park after a nine hour trip that should take 5 hours. Big question: can that rim hole be made larger? Also, the lug holes are not quite perfectly lined up. The studs go through but not in the center of each hole. Any suggestions? (By the way, Dave and Kate Watling from Pleasant Prairie, WI helped me when I was stuck on the tollway. They were at the Scamp Camp, too. Thanks!) Also, the noise was gone after about 30 feet of driving. Either the cause broke off or slipped back into position.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:38 PM   #36

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

Quote:
I put the spare on the studs and found that the rim's center hole was not quite big enough for the axle stub to stick through. No go! I ended up tightening the lug nuts as tight as they'd go, but the rim is riding a bit further out than it should.

Big question: can that rim hole be made larger? Also, the lug holes are not quite perfectly lined up. The studs go through but not in the center of each hole. Any suggestions?
Sounds to me like your "spare" is not on a U-Haul specific wheel rim.

Check out This Link.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 PM   #37

Oak Park, IL
Quote:
Sounds to me like your "spare" is not on a U-Haul specific wheel rim.

Check out This Link.
I just ordered two new rims from UHaul, so I'll have a new rim for the spare and an extra rim just in case I ever need it. They should be in to the local dealer early next week.

Tags
u-haul, uhaul