our saggy awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
our saggy awning

Our older Trillium came with an oversized rubbery awning that is a couple of feet longer than the track. It sagged quite badly and gathered rain! I wondered if a ridge pole (like those on old canvas tents) might help. Hubby put on his thinking cap and came up with the one in the photos. The pole beside the camper fell down when the wind came up and hubby created a quick fix with some rope he had in his 'Might Come In Handy Sometime" box.

You can see that we also put Velcro around the awning 'frill' so we can attach the walls for our canopy as windbreaks or shade makers (depending on the weather). This we have found to improve our comfort level quite a bit.

Now I'm wondering what we could do so attaching the canopy bug screens will actually keep the bugs off - they come from under the camper! Maybe some Velcro along the camper with the bug screen zipper in front of the door?
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP9624_edited-1.jpg   IMGP9625_edited-1.jpg  

IMGP9626_edited-1.jpg  
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Now I'm wondering what we could do so attaching the canopy bug screens will actually keep the bugs off - they come from under the camper! Maybe some Velcro along the camper with the bug screen zipper in front of the door?
Many of the screen rooms come with a short "skirt" that attaches to the lower part of the trailer and goes to the ground. A few snaps is all it takes to hold it in place.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:48 PM   #3

Saskatchewan
Thanks for the feedback Roy. We don't have a screen room, just the Velcro topped walls and screens from an old canopy. Most people call them Easy Ups - but ours is actual a King Canopy.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:06 AM   #4

Name: Phil & Margot
Trailer: 1982 Boler 17' 2002 Honda Odyssey. Replaced with a 2010 Odyssey
Ottawa, Ontario
Hi Hazel.
Sorry I don't have any answer for your problem but I do have a problem of my own.
Does your canopy have a roller that attaches to the trailer or is it the old kind where the awning has a rope in it that slides into the groove? The reason I ask is we just bought a 4500 that came with an awning but I can't figure a way to attach the poles to the roller. I think something is missing or has been changed. If this is the same as your setup could you take pictures of how the poles attach on yours?
Thanks
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
2014-08-28 23.47.20.jpg   2014-08-28 23.48.10.jpg  

Philsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

Saskatchewan
Our awning is the old rope in a groove type. Other than being saggy when wet it works fine (well we fixed that problem). Yours looks very confusing to me, I can't figure out how it is supposed to work. Hopefully someone who does know will join the conversation in a while and help you out.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:40 AM   #6

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Our awning is the old rope in a groove type. Other than being saggy when wet it works fine (well we fixed that problem).
I too have a rope in a groove type awning and used to have a saggy problem when it would rain. I solved that problem with some fiberglass tent poles cut to length. I only put them in when I suspect it'll rain. I have a pocket sewn in the four corners and a velcro strap in the middle to hold them in place.

gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Saskatchewan
That looks like a good fix gage. Did you have to sew 'holders' for the ends of the tent poles? We can't think of a way to do this on ours as it is a rubbery, plastic material. Poking sewing holes in it would make it perforated - tear on the dotted line!
Old 10-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
That looks like a good fix gage. Did you have to sew 'holders' for the ends of the tent poles? We can't think of a way to do this on ours as it is a rubbery, plastic material. Poking sewing holes in it would make it perforated - tear on the dotted line!
Hazel you will find there are many different ways of waterproofing anything you sew. I have had to use it when repairing outdoor equipment such as pack or tent. One is a weather proofing Seam Tape such as this one. Just need a heat gun to apply.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning