OurBoler.com 74 Boler rebuild - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #181

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
I have seen magnets stick to sinks, however I just tested and on this one they do not. I am sure another way to get it to stay on will show up.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #182

Name: David
Trailer: 17 foot boler
Alberta
chris , if the board goes past the sides of the sink just put a little on the counter and the edges of the board , no need to spend more money .
vette_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #183

Alberta
Hi David, I am not sure I understand, can I get some more detail on your idea?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #184

Alberta
chris , is the wood "cover " for your sink wider than the on the sides? if so get some of the magnetic tape and adhere it to the countertop on either side of the sink and attach some more magnetic tape to the underside of the sink cover . as stated by others above the sink maybe stainless and therefore non-magnetic so this way the cover will "stick " to the magnetic tape on the counter and not move when you are travelling

Dave
Old 10-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #185

Alberta
Thanks Dave, I get it, like the idea
Old 10-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #186

Alberta
no problem chris , i've been following your build to get ideas for my boler , so if i can help you i feel like i'm repaying the favor !!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #187

Alberta
The best ideas for the trailer came this summer while camping in it, no better way to figure out what you need than through experience. Here are pictures of a couple stops.

First trip was to the southern Canadian Rockies to paint the trailer, very generous offer. Although I didn't get to camp in it, towing was still learning.

Trailer ready to head home.

Our first attempt at camping failed as the tongue broke (right where the new reinforcement had been stopped, ?I have already made arrangements to learn to weld next summer)

Our first trip out was to Mt. Robison Provincial Park, on the BC side of the Rockies.

Then Dinosaur Provincial Park in the southern Alberta Badlands. Where the kids got to find dinosaur fossils.

Then Waterton National Park, where it felt good to be in the trailer with so many bears, an amazing place.

Then a trip to Jasper National Park.

And closed the summer out in Rock Lake Provincial Park. The project although not finished was definitely worth all the work. Now we will see if I can wait for next summer, or end up camping in the Rockies this winter.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 PM   #188

Alberta
chris if you decide to go to the rockies this winter send me a message and maybe the families could meet up in the bolers
Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #189

Alberta
Sounds good. We will likely try, but with electric hook ups (still need to install that option), to ensure we are warm Will let you know.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #190

Alberta
yeah electricity will be a must for the wife and daughter , but luckily my 17 foot is already wired , if you need help with yours let me know
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #191

Alberta
I lost one of the Boler emblems for the outside, and as some suggested earlier in this thread I cast a new one, well I finally got around to it.

I picked up a kit, although now unnecessary, for a first time it worked really well.

I made a container for the mold, which it turned out had a slightly uneven bottom, next time I would do this differently.

Then made the mold.

A little over our on the back, and another one curing in the mold.

A little trimming and sanding and it is ready for paint. With the garage below freezing this will be finished in the spring.

I also want to see if milk and vinegar make a plastic usable for such projects.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #192

Alberta
nice chris !!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #193

Alberta
With the warmer weather I painted the new Emblem for the trailer, turned out great!

Hopefully get the trailer out camping next weekend. Had planned on camping in the winter, but then the cold came and it didn't seem like a good idea anymore.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #194

Alberta
Was on the computer today and Boler Popped up, looked to good to pass up, so I have a new project while finishing the first. Should have pictures next week!!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #195

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Front Window Shield

Hey Chris,

I see that you have installed a front window cover on your rig and I wanted to ask if you think it is really necessary? I've seen some have it and others not. With the window being so high up I don't think there is too much worry about rocks. Our Boler has rock chips only on the bottom fourth of the front. Just wondering if there is another reason to have it that I'm not aware of. I'm tempted to not put one on, BUT, wanted to get some info. I guess it could be a "cool" factor. Thanks a lot.

Slav
Old 06-05-2014, 11:43 PM   #196

Alberta
It came with the cover, so I planned to put it on. However the front window is more flexible than the plexiglass that should have been used, so at about 120 km the window started to blow in. The front window guard makes it possible to drive without the wind being an issue.

It also makes it darker to sleep and cooler on those hot days. Pros for leaving it off is that you can see through the windows of the trailer when driving and get an idea of what is happening behind you.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:51 PM   #197

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Awesome points, thanks! I was wondering about the plexi vibrating. Ours didn't come with the cover so was thinking of getting one from Scamp or getting one made from aluminum diamond plate...but I'm also trying to limit puncturing the shell (going rivet-less).
Old 06-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #198

Alberta
Plexi worked fine, it was when it was "upgraded" to a more durable material that was also more flexible that the problems started.

I tried to avoid putting anything through the shell at first, after a while it stopped bothering me, the rivets seal well. I even have a couple screws and I added a little buttle tape and have had no problems with them either.
Old 06-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #199

Name: Luis
Trailer: Boler 1300 79'
Alberta
Registry
Front rock cover talk

Nelmes, Slav,
good conversation you guys are having.

I also had the same issues. To cover or not to cover.
Not wanting to have any rivets or FG shell penetrations I was tempted to not cover.

Again, if most Bolers have it there must be a reason so I backtracked. Bought a hardware kit, and am now planning to install.

I do hope I can seal those rivets well (suggestions please!). and have thought of the cover as a window covering as well, as a sahde if opened up, and also as a potential PV cell backing. ( With the adhesive film type installed on the inside if the cover), just remove form trailer, connect wiring and place facing sun light...

Me thinks I can see through to the back on mine though. The axis was moved under leaf springs, and the whole trailer gained about 6-8 inches in elevation.

I can only use my side rear view mirrors anyway!

Cheers,
Luis
Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #200

Alberta
If looking for options I would also consider a window film, vinyl wrap ect as an alternative covering? I am always amazed at the protection such thin things can actually give.

The rivets seal well, and by default I go to butyl tape anywhere I feel there is any chance or a leak.

I plan to build something to prop open the front window shade when camping, but we never seem to be in the trailer during the day, so leaving it closed has worked so far. It makes the trailer nice an dark for sleeping.

I read somewhere about a water repelling spray someone used to get windows and rivets that were leaking to repel the water. However I can't find the mention of the product that worked anywhere. Sounds like a great way to ensure a seal, and make quick campsite repairs if necessary. I will keep searching and of course post a working solution if I find one.

To avoid rivets I plan to glue the boler emblem on the front of the trailer, but with the fibreglass window guard I think rivets would be the best way to go.

Tags
boler