OurBoler.com 74 Boler rebuild - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2014, 03:51 PM   #201

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
Nelmes, Slav,
good conversation you guys are having.

I also had the same issues. To cover or not to cover.
Not wanting to have any rivets or FG shell penetrations I was tempted to not cover.

Again, if most Bolers have it there must be a reason so I backtracked. Bought a hardware kit, and am now planning to install.

I do hope I can seal those rivets well (suggestions please!). and have thought of the cover as a window covering as well, as a sahde if opened up, and also as a potential PV cell backing. ( With the adhesive film type installed on the inside if the cover), just remove form trailer, connect wiring and place facing sun light...

Me thinks I can see through to the back on mine though. The axis was moved under leaf springs, and the whole trailer gained about 6-8 inches in elevation.

I can only use my side rear view mirrors anyway!

Cheers,
Luis
Hey Luis!

Did you get the kit from Scamp? Does the curvature of it seem to conform to the Boler pretty good? Thanks!

Cheers,
Slav
Old 06-08-2014, 06:45 AM   #202

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
water repellant

Have you guys seen or used this. I am tempted to try it. Hopefully it hasnt been mentioned elsewhere. I am thinking around the rivet areas.
Mike

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #203

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I saw that advertised on TV the other day. At $25.97 at my local Home Depot I think I will give it a try. Sucks that it is only $16.87 in the US. Us Canadians keep getting ripped off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
Have you guys seen or used this. I am tempted to try it. Hopefully it hasnt been mentioned elsewhere. I am thinking around the rivet areas.
Mike

Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #204

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Thanks Mike, I plan to pick some up today and see if it will work, as I have a slight leak during rain storms, light rain is not a problem. Hopefully this will fix it.
Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:03 PM   #205

Alberta
Picked up some never wet, taped off the area and sprayed it on. Should have took the tape off right away, as once it dried it didn't come off neatly along the tape line. Now I just need a really big rain storm to see if it worked, normal rain or smaller storms don't make it leak. If it work I will reapply, taking the tape off immediately after spraying.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #206

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavandheather View Post
I'm also trying to limit puncturing the shell (going rivet-less).
You can try to use existing holes for more than 1 thing. Many bolers already have rivets for the curtain rods in about the same location.
Some people use SS machine screws and washers.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #207

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
How bad is the white haze after it dryed? My Boler is painted grey on top and worry the white haze will not look well.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelmes View Post
Picked up some never wet, taped off the area and sprayed it on. Should have took the tape off right away, as once it dried it didn't come off neatly along the tape line. Now I just need a really big rain storm to see if it worked, normal rain or smaller storms don't make it leak. If it work I will reapply, taking the tape off immediately after spraying.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #208

Alberta
The haze is only noticeable if it is sprayed on too thick, or on the window. I will take a couple pictures and post shortly. On the trailer body it was fine.
Old 06-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #209

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Crumb, wish I had seen this post earlier. We have discussed the NeverWet, about a year ago. The downside, to remove it, it has to be sanded off: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-go-59269.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #210

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Crumb, wish I had seen this post earlier. We have discussed the NeverWet, about a year ago. The downside, to remove it, it has to be sanded off: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-go-59269.html

That's ok Donna D....we can still look back and refresh our minds with that thread while we wait for an update from the new try in this thread...because we know as soon as there is a hard rain we will get a full report.

Happy Camping to all
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #211

Alberta
I did spray some on the window and shell, but wiped some off the shell before it dried. The window I let it dry then wiped it off (not thinking about the possibility of sanding that if it didn't work).

If I were to do it again, I would spray it into a container, then brush it on (haven't tried so no guarantee it would work), and just force it into the seal.

The close up shows the sealant on, A slight discoloration of the rubber seal and lines that the camera picks up, but are hard to see with the eye.

The forecast is for a thunder storm tonight, we will have to wait and see if it rains hard enough to test the seal.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #212

Alberta
A storm went through while I was sleeping last night, not sure how hard it rained, but it didn't leak. A couple more storms are scheduled so I will keep watching.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #213

Alberta
I plan to pick up the new boler this week and it hasn't moved for 20 years, so I wanted to be sure I new how to do anything it needed. And with a bearing cahnge over due on my trailer I tackled the project. This has always seemed intimidating, but in hind sight it was easy, and I am glad I got the experience at home versus the side of the highway.

I am guessing most have had to do this, if not the details can be found here.

Repacking the Bearings on Our Boler Trailer | Family Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #214

Alberta

Picked up another Boler, very different, but also a 74.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #215

Alberta
I started another thread for the Red Boler

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ect-64904.html
Old 06-25-2014, 12:30 PM   #216

Alberta
I decided to take the red cushions I picked up last yer out of our green Boler, as it made more sense to put them in the Red trailer. Then I picked up a foam mattress from Ikea to make the bed in the green trailer.

Since we have never used the dinette we decided to make a one piece mattress, and just remove it if we wanted to use the dinette.

I used the cushions and the template on Bolerlife.com to mark out the matress.

Then cut it out with kitchen knife.

Then out it back into the cover. Eventually I hope to make the cover fit, but for now this works.

Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 AM   #217

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
Hi Chris

I love the carpet on the walls, i'm about to do the same with my 17'

any tips on how to make it easier? also what type of glue did you use? and would you do it again?

thanks

Andrew
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:43 PM   #218

Alberta
For the walls I used an indoor outdoor carpet. First I glued the reflectix, then taped the seams, then glued the carpet up.

For glue I ended using contact cement. I went through a lot of it, but it worked great. It has not come off, but when I needed to hide a wire it was easy to peel back and re glue.

The hardest part is holding it up while drying, I cut some 2x4's to make a support, and leaned the boler door against the sides to hold them in place. For the roof I had help, which made a big difference. I also started away from any compound curves, trying to get the biggest possible continuous piece up first.

For the seams I used a razor blade. Hiding the seams isn't hard, it just takes patience, the only problems are where I rushed.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #219

Alberta
This summer my sister gave me an older 3 way fridge. I played with the power option (with help with this forum), but eventually gave up and just got it running well on propane. Since we never have sites with hookups anyway this works great.

A lot of cleaning, polishing metal and a little painting with appliance epoxy it was almost ready. The dark wood of the front didn't go with the trailer so i sanded it down and painted it green to match the trailer.

I also cleaned up the back and the burner.

Amazingly I used a file to make room for the screws on the fridge, other than that it fit great, almost like the spot was made for it. Only problem was there was no room for venting. To solve this I moved the bottom of the backsplash forward, and used insulation to make a chamber behind it. I then added vents to the outside from this chamber.

It looks great, and has made a huge difference having a working fridge.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #220

Alberta
With Summer coming it is time to get working on the Boler again. With it so close to completed I am hoping to get the last things on the list done this year, starting with the frame.

With help we jacked up the shell and pulled the frame out. The crack i was worried about was not the only new crack that had appeared since last time I had the shell off.

We cut up the frame, threw it in the back of the truck to use as a template (while referencing Ian's frame plans online). Then it traveled ahead, as I do not know how to weld and will be traveling to get the help I need.

Tags
boler