Things I might do differently if I started again.
Ok, so the Boler
is not done yet, but with a couple trips done their are a few things I would do differently next time.
1. The sink. So far we haven’t used the sink, it just takes up counter space and storage space. I would leave this out if I built it again. With that said I do plan to build a cover for it, and use it for storage, so if we want it it will be there and nothing will be lost for having it.
2. Battery. I was going to leave a battery out of the build, however it is nice to have one. I added a small battery and solar
panel and converted some of the lights
to run off it. I found the lights
slide off too easy to leave them on while driving, and making them more permanent would not allow the batteries to be easily changed. Wiring them in worked out better.
cooler. I bought a propane
cooler from Canadian Tire, knowing that their return policy sucks, however I noticed later on the receipt it says for this cooler they do not do refunds or exchanges. It works fine on 120 volts, and good enough on 12 volt, but it is hard to light on propane
. If that was it I would have been happy, but even with it lite it often doesn’t cool. After a few days playing with it my best guess is it needs to be perfectly level. With no real flat spot to measure level, on both trips we had a warm cooler. With that I will be getting a proper RV fridge
and with this not my first unhappy Canadian Tire experience will have hopefully learned my lesson and stop shopping there.
4. Veneer trim on counter. For the most part this is working great, however with one of the bunks accessed by climbing over the counter the veneer did not work in this high traffic area.
5. Needs a new frame. I had the frame reinforced and inspected by a few different welders, however it is old, and on the first trip it broke. For the most part I replaced anything that had the potential to cause a problem long term, and could have saved money by building a new frame instead of repairing the old one.
6. Use forums more. Post a simple question and some of the suggestion may amaze. I read the fiberglassrv and teardrop forums, but was reluctant to post at first.
7. Storage. I left out the top cabinets, and the more roomy feel was well worth the lost storage. I find their is lots of storage, but with most of it under the beds want to look at ways to organize it better to make access and finding all the little things easier. I plan to add storage in the sink, and am confident this will go a long way to solving this organization issue.