OurBoler.com 74 Boler rebuild - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #101

Name: Chris
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Between painting the trailer i used Brown Rustoelum from a can (next time I would use the sprayer) to paint the belly band and any thing else for the outside.

I also took a grinder and hammer and finally got the tongue jack off. The top is broken and the jack was seized.

Nelmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #102

Alberta

With the paint done, we rolled it out of the tent (so the truck could get paint) and started putting in the windows.

The side window was easy once I got the right screws. Butlye Tape to seal them.

I broke the pieces for the front and back window while cutting them.

With the sun down I covered it up for the night.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #103

Alberta

Installed the window in the door, hinges, door handle, trim on the door and around the door opening.

After breaking the Plexiglas I had planned to use for the front and back windows I got a glass shop to install the windows for me. I ended up getting Marguard, better in almost every way, however it's flexibility does allow it to be pushed out of the seal at freeway speeds if the rock guard is left off.

Windows are in and look much better than I expected. The front and back are clear and the side windows tinted, however the front and back have a finish that makes it look good and matching, much to my surprise.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #104

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Chris you are doing such a great job, and sharing your "ups and downs" with us is wonderful. The color is a fine choice and windows are looking very professional!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #105

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
You're doing a great job! I love the color scheme!! Your detailed account of this restoration is really interesting and has lots of tips for anyone attempting such a project. Just hope I can see your cute little trailer in person some day and meet you and your family in person! Maybe at one of the gatherings in BC, WA or OR?
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #106

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
All I can say is SUPER !!!!!
jaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #107

Alberta
Thanks Dianne. When I started telling people I was painting it the brightest green I could find I got a lot of negative responses, I am glad I stuck to the color because I am really happy with it (and the comments have turned positive )

Thanks Cathy. I love the West Coast, and since this is my first year away I plan to explore this side of the Rockies. However Most of my planned trips will be to BC, with many into WA and OR, so I am sure you will get to see it (as the plan is to shift my focus from working on it to using it).

The trailer was out of the tent after painting for only a few minutes when I got my first offer to purchase it, since every couple days someone is stopping while I am working on it to peek inside.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #108

Alberta

License plate and light installed. I used the left over trim from the door to give it a more finished look.

Tail lights installed and working, hopefully no tail light issues on the way home

The trim between the brown and green has been installed.

This is my first time using a rivet gun, and it was going horribly, jamming constantly, until it finally was not usable. I went online to figure out how to fix it and learned you need to lubricate it. I took the rivet gun apart, cleaned and lubricated it. Obvious in hind sight, but what a huge different it makes. I know favor rivets when they work.

Installed vents, although I am confident now they will not be enough, so I will revisit these.

Trimed up the rock guard with the same stuff as the door and license plate. Then attached it using the hardware I ordered from Scamp.

The bottom of the latch didn't fit as the window seal was too thick. Will look at that at home.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #109

Name: Slavomir
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Washington
Wow, this is a pretty dang amazing job! Sure looks like you're about to hit the road in style! Really nice work!

Slav
slavandheather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #110

Alberta
Thanks Slav

A lot more details, but I am hoping we can get away this weekend or next.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #111

Alberta

Found this handle with a built in LED light for beside the door. Started to install it, wind picked up, then the hail and rain drove me inside. It was bouncing 6 inches off the trailer, and was the first chance to check for leaks.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #112

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Chris, can't beleive how fast you are working...amazing to me.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #113

Alberta
Diane, we had a week of holidays, the boys were with family or my wife and I focused on this project for 6 days straight, made good progress and got the paint done, which was huge as I have nowhere to do that where I am. Now it's back to normal and a couple hours a day.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #114

Alberta

On the way home we discovered that the front Marguard window was being pushed out of the seal by the wind. It's flexibility is good, but a weakness while traveling.

First stop to put it back in I had someone drive up because they loved the color.

Second stop to fix I heard a happy honk, looking out the window a nice blue and white Boler went by.

I used rope to attach the rock guard, solving the problem. With this issue I see why Plexiglas is a good choice, however Marguard looks great and should last longer, so I would go with it again. With this I will need to make sure I use the rock guard, avoid hurricanes and not go over 100 km/h backwards, a minor sacrifice.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:20 PM   #115

Alberta

Installed an RV level on the back.

The other level I put on the side below the handle / LED light.

The door was being held closed by the fiberglass lip, for a more permanent solution. I took a piece of metal from the bottom of an old blind, measured it, then bent it around a bolt the same thickness as the fiberglass lip it will be going on. Then I trimmed off the extra, and riveted it to the trailer.

I took a rubber adhesive piece that is meant to go between the curtain rod and holder from Ikea and stuck it on the Belly Band trim and so far it is working great as a door stop.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #116

Alberta
The Bolor Emblem was in rough shape. It was pitted and then the trailer was painted previously with the emblem on. After using a small knife to get the deep paint out of the corners and lots of time with steel wool, stripping the paint of it was still too pitted to put back on the trailer, so I decided to paint it.

Two coats of primer, 2 coats of a Chrome paint and 2 coats of clear. The paint did not turn out shinny like I expected, but am happy with the look.

Now I just need to find one for the front
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #117

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
Great job there Chris, keep up the fantastic work!
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #118

Alberta
Thanks Ron
Old 07-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #119

Alberta
I got around to addressing the small vents for the propane cooler. I started by removing the bottom two vent and marking out the new holes. I painted the new vents (later learning they also sold them in the color I wanted).

The masking tape also protected the paint from the saw, next time I would cover more of the paint.

To finish up I took one of the vents from the bottom and adding it to the top. I sealed these up to minimize the water that would come in. I also have a small computer fan behind the top vents to help move the air, this should give it a little more ventilation.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #120

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
i was thinking last night as i pulled apart a trailer. you might want to put some screens behind those vents. i pulled a couple off yesterday and they were full of bee hives, thankfully not bees to go with them.

unless they make vents with screens already behind them, i was just going to attach it with some two sided tape
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler