Outdoor kitchen/storage box - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: Bigfoot 17'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
You can multiply the effective capacity of your scale by using using a cross bar (2x4 or similar) with scale at one end, support block at the other and tongue at measured distance somewhere midway depending on what ratio you need. Resting the bar on short bits of pipe assures that you are approximating point loads for accuracy. Here is a diagram of a typical scheme.
I found something similar online, thanks for the info!
Timwiltshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #22

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I did something similar but with an aluminum cargo carrier and a molded plastic box in which I carried about 60 to 70 lbs. So the whole thing weighted about 110 lbs total. I have a hitch from Orbital Machine Works, and it was installed by Little House Customs in TX. I normally drive but one time my wife towed it a short distance while I was messing around the primitive campsite. It was a rough road and I noticed she hit a sort of pothole a bit too fast, as in about 5mph. That darn cargo box whipped up and down like you would not believe. I almost took it off and left it at the campground. Instead we went home and it has been sitting in my barn ever since. No way will I haul anything over about 30 lbs, if that.

I cannot image having that thing whipping up and down as we drive about 10,000 miles, give or take, during our normal camping season. I don't think the trailer frame can handle that sort of action.

Hopefully you will have a better experience that I have.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #23

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timwiltshire View Post
I built a bumper mounted, fibreglass coated storage box/outdoor kitchen for the back of my Bigfoot. The box is 1/2" plywood covered in 3 layers of polyester resin and chopped strand, gelcoat and then marine enamel. The whole thing fits in a hitch cargo carrier that's mounted to the bumper. Now I don't have to haul my BBQ in the box of my truck or inside my trailer. Also fits my generator, firewood and propane firepit nicely, or firewood during burning season.
:just remember on cannot transfer firewood across the border.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
That darn cargo box whipped up and down like you would not believe. I almost took it off and left it at the campground. Instead we went home and it has been sitting in my barn ever since. No way will I haul anything over about 30 lbs, if that.
An anti-rattle hitch lock should take care of that problem.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #25

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:just remember on cannot transfer firewood across the border.
Not a problem there, I have no intentions on crossing the border, or even leaving the island for that matter, anytime in the foreseeable future.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:28 PM   #26

British Columbia
For all those who were interested in the weight distribution effects of this box, I found out some info at the local trucking scale this evening.

For one, the box (loaded) weighs more than twice as much as I had estimated. It's a whopping 150KG (330 lbs). Whoa.

What does this do to the overall trailer weight? With the box the trailer weighs in at 1640KG (3600lbs) without it 1490KG (3300lbs) so the trailer alone is pushing it's max axle weight with no water in the tanks and no clothing or food on board without the box. With the box I am slightly over.

Tongue weight was interesting too. With the box I have a tongue weight that ranged by 40KG (88lbs) depending if the weight distribution hitch was connected or not. The weight distribution hitch actually made the trailer weigh more by that margin. With the box my tongue weight is 140kg (308lbs) and without the box it was 220KG (484lbs)

Either way the tongue weight is within the 9-15% threshold, but just barely. With the box I'm at the bottom (9%) and without it I'm at the top (15%). Again, this is with no water in the tanks, which adds another 200lbs just in front of the axle, which would increase the tongue weight marginally. But the axle weight with food, water and gear on board is overloaded by about 500lbs , unless we're accounting for the tongue weight transfer, which would make it damned close to the 3500lb rating.

Either way it was an interesting experiment, and I learned lots about my trailer set up. I'll be beefing up my box supports before we go travelling again. And I'll be loading my gear in the front of the trailer.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:45 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Congrats for gathering the data. Most would carry on in ignorance.
But, one more question. What is the max tongue weight of your tow vehicle?
Old 04-17-2019, 07:55 AM   #28

British Columbia
Hi Glenn,

Looks like my max payload is 1510 lbs, with a max towing capacity of 7800lbs. So it's well within those limits.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #29

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
You can multiply the effective capacity of your scale by using using a cross bar (2x4 or similar) with scale at one end, support block at the other and tongue at measured distance somewhere midway depending on what ratio you need. Resting the bar on short bits of pipe assures that you are approximating point loads for accuracy. Here is a diagram of a typical scheme.
Nice technique. I assume that the 2x4 needs to be level?
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #30

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by neparker View Post
Nice technique. I assume that the 2x4 needs to be level?
Yes, keep it level for accurate results
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #31

Name: Lee
Trailer: Looking
TN
What a great job!
Old 04-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #32

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
I like it!

Great looking box, and obviously excellent workmanship.

I found this on ebay (located in California): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trailer-Tow...t/192874481388

I can make a hydraulic scale on my lathe, otherwise, at that price, I'd order one.

It weighs in KG, so it might be inconvenient for the math challenged here in imperial land.

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #33

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
hah, i searched for those on ebay a couple weeks ago and only found ebay.au and ebay.ca sites that wouldn't ship to the USA.

ordered!

while the sherwoods are very nice, they are just a little too pricey for my occasional casual use.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 11:13 PM   #34

Name: Craig
Trailer: Bigfoot 25ft & 13ft Lil Bigfoot
British Columbia
Great Box

Box looks very functional, I've been considering doing something similar, where did you put your spare tire?
Bigfoot 0995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:05 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
This is my outdoor kitchen. It doesn't add unnecessary weight of a box. Contents can be stowed where they are best accommodated and for weight distribution.
It's also extremely flexible. I can add or subtract appliances etc. I generally have one butane stove, my BBQ, propane tank and a 5 gal water container as well as pots and pans and a stainless steel "sink". I have the option of a folding aluminum table.
Attached Thumbnails
Camp kitchen.jpg   Outdoor kitchen - 1.jpg  

Old 04-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #36

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Congrats for gathering the data. Most would carry on in ignorance.
But, one more question. What is the max tongue weight of your tow vehicle?
+10 You can't beat data. Too bad axle weight is too high, as I would otherwise add water into the tank and shoot for 12 to 13% tongue weight. 9% is really marginal.

Once you have gone through the white knuckle experience of trailer sway, you will not want a rematch.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote