Over to under axle flip? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #1
KSM
Member
 
Name: kyle
Trailer: 1980 Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 46
Over to under axle flip?

I'd really like to flip the axles of my (new to me) Fiber Stream. I've read a little about the process. I could probably do it myself but I'd prefer to have a shop do it. Anyone have experience with this? By chance, can anyone recommend a shop in the Los Angeles area?
Thanks
Kyle
__________________

__________________
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
I just last month flipped an axle on a tent trailer and here's some of the scoop:

IF the axles are dead on straight (no slight curve for some camber) you can turn the axle over and bolt it onto the bottom of the springs, usually using the same shackles. However, if it is curved, you need to get a set of weld-on spring perches to put on the opposite side from the originals and than bolt the axle to the springs on the top side of the axle. The latter is what I just had to do/...




An excellent trailer axle shop in SoCal is Arrow Trailer Supplies, 1363 Holt Ave, Ontario, 91762. They have an entire shop that does nothing but trailer suspension repair and modifications, and they are great people to deal with as well.
__________________

__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
KSM
Member
 
Name: kyle
Trailer: 1980 Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I just last month flipped an axle on a tent trailer and here's some of the scoop:

IF the axles are dead on straight (no slight curve for some camber) you can turn the axle over and bolt it onto the bottom of the springs, usually using the same shackles. However, if it is curved, you need to get a set of weld-on spring perches to put on the opposite side from the originals and than bolt the axle to the springs on the top side of the axle. The latter is what I just had to do/...




An excellent trailer axle shop in SoCal is Arrow Trailer Supplies, 1363 Holt Ave, Ontario, 91762. They have an entire shop that does nothing but trailer suspension repair and modifications, and they are great people to deal with as well.
Great info. Thanks Bob!
__________________
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
KSM
Member
 
Name: kyle
Trailer: 1980 Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 46
Reading elsewhere at this site that RV shops tend to be expensive for repairs etc. Any comments on this?
Thanks
__________________
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
sokhapkin's Avatar
 
Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Posts: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM View Post
Reading elsewhere at this site that RV shops tend to be expensive for repairs etc. Any comments on this?
Everything for recreation is always more expensive than the same stuff offered for daily job duties.
__________________
Sergey
www.callwithus.com
sokhapkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Bob Miller's Avatar
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Posts: 7,912
All commercial shops are expensive, from an A/C shop to a transmission shop to a body shop. However, RV shops tend to get more work from owners of $$$$$ motorhomes and know that they can pretty much charge whatever they want.

Here in California there are a few independent RV repair services that come to your home and I hear that they are a lot less expensive as they have much lower overhead expenses.

What are you needing done?
__________________
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
KSM
Member
 
Name: kyle
Trailer: 1980 Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 46
Delivered the trailer to Arrow today and they are getting the brakes on this old trailer in order and repacking bearings etc. I'm actually holding off on moving the axle under the springs to save some money for now. I don't doubt Arrow is a very capable shop but the labor charges are killing me.
__________________
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
KSM
Member
 
Name: kyle
Trailer: 1980 Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
All commercial shops are expensive, from an A/C shop to a transmission shop to a body shop. However, RV shops tend to get more work from owners of $$$$$ motorhomes and know that they can pretty much charge whatever they want.

Here in California there are a few independent RV repair services that come to your home and I hear that they are a lot less expensive as they have much lower overhead expenses.

What are you needing done?
Bob, I'm just seeing this post now. After Arrow finishes I'll still be looking to drop the axles.
__________________

__________________
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flip up towing mirrors Joe Vegas Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 17 10-15-2013 02:57 PM
Spur of the moment flip floppers rgrugg General Chat 16 01-02-2013 06:44 AM
Nice flip Scott H General Chat 22 08-27-2011 08:22 AM
The Flip Side, From Fiberglass Eggs Adrian W General Chat 8 05-14-2011 06:22 PM
axle is an automotive axle on my casita tracy.c Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 26 07-30-2007 05:50 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.