Overhead kitchenette cabinet mods and organization..how'd you do it??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM   #15

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Beautiful....

Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #16

Name: Kaddy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Michigan
Have you thought about a more open concept?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2243.jpg  

Old 07-25-2016, 03:31 AM   #17

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
kitchen storage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatDude View Post
We use the clear plastic bins that greens (lettuce spring mix/spinach etc.) come in. They are not as tall as the Walmart mini-bins so easier to get things out of them without needing to remove an entire bin. Also disposable if something like olive oil were to spill.

We do have green smoothies many mornings so the "greens" bins are always in supply.
excellent recycling idea BatDude!
Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #18

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
So many good ideas! I absolutely LOVE your concept, Gordon. It's making me wish I'd gone with cherry instead of birch! (My pocketbook won out).

How much of the two vertical door spacers is structural, do you think? I would love to do one big open door opening to the top and then organize that space.

Right now we store our melamine dishes, dish clothes, and a small amount of silverware and our BBQ lighter up there. Just tired of having a big SOUP of it; I'm going to hit the $1 store for temporary while considering truly awesome ideas for permanent.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:32 AM   #19

Name: Kaddy
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Michigan
Add on: I'm also considering to just put in a metal bar to hold things in, similar to a spice rack. I like simple things and simple looks.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:40 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
You can also have custom dividers made in any width you want to break up the storage. Just need a template to follow any roofline. Escape shown.
Attached Thumbnails
PICT0230.jpg   PICT0226.jpg  

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
"How much of the two vertical door spacers is structural, do you think?..."

My best guess is .... they probably are intended to be structural. But I think you can overcome that with a piece of 1/2" plywood cut to fit the bottom (on the inside). And then back up any hinges or struts with wood. As I recall, my original upper cabinet was hard to use with its' small openings. Had I kept it, I probably would have cut away most of the front and trimmed it out with wood.

The idea of a fold down door used as a temporary shelf is intriguing, but I wonder if it would get in the way (I tend to bump into things). I guess a piece of cardboard cut to match the possible door and held in place would give you a good idea if that's practical for you.

Dividers: Yeah! It's amazing how things get tossed around in there. I like traktors1's idea of velcro attached bins that can be arranged as you like.
Shallow storage bins are a good idea, too.

One thing I think most of us agree on is that restraints of some kind, doors or whatever, are necessary. To see your stuff in a pile on the floor is upsetting, to say the least.

Have fun!
Gordon
Old 07-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #22

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by openthegates View Post
Add on: I'm also considering to just put in a metal bar to hold things in, similar to a spice rack. I like simple things and simple looks.
I am not convinced that seeing all the contents of a cabinet exposed qualifies as simple looks. My personal feeling is that is very much the opposite of something looking simple. A cabinet door is far more of a simple surface to look at. A jumble of unrelated sizes, shapes and colors is chaotic looking. But that is must my personal take on it coming from a background of art and architecture.

If you ask for opinions you might get some that don't agree with yours
Old 07-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #23

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
my solution was this...

I built a simple divider "rack"....it's a tight friction fit and stays put on it's own (no fasteners)...I lifted out to take one of these pictures...the percolator and coffee supply are held against it with a bungy cord (using up the space between the two doors)...spaces in the divider are all slighty different to accomodate different width items
Attached Thumbnails
kitcup1.jpg   kitcup2.jpg  

kitcup3.jpg   kitcup4.jpg  

Old 07-25-2016, 03:23 PM   #24
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon in Idaho View Post
Dividers: Yeah! It's amazing how things get tossed around in there. I like tractors1's idea of velcro attached bins that can be arranged as you like.

Have fun!
Gordon
Actually I don't use the velcro attachment on the overhead bins, but could. One of the best features is at the end of the cabinets where things get lost in the "black hole" where the cabinets in some trailers come together and there is no door.

Infrequently used items can be placed in a divider and shoved back into the dead-end corner, but are easily accessed by sliding the divider over to the door for access.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #25

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
The upper cabinets in our 1980 Trillium Jubilee were quite a joke. There were two doors that were about 6" high and 18" wide that looked as non functional as they actually were. It was a pain to try and see or reach half of the items that were inside.

I removed the whole cupboard front and replaced it with a new front with a much greater open area than the old one and three sliding doors that allowed access to almost all of the inside space. The doors are simply a veneered 1/4" plywood that sit in a two grooved track top and bottom and bypass each other.

Some photos attached of them now and I did post more detailed pics of before, after and fabrication at the time of the renovation.
Attached Thumbnails
P1060523.jpg   P1060524.jpg  

P1060525.jpg   P1060526.jpg  

P1060527.jpg   P1060528.jpg  

P1060531.jpg   P1060530.jpg  

Old 07-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #26

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
real nice....

love the sliders and the angled shelves inside.....creates a TON of useable storage space
Old 07-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #27

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Your sliding doors were a nicely detailed solution. Love the radius corners, everything looks professionally executed.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #28

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
For Peatle,

Another good solution to head-bumping, and VERY well done!
A few questions:
Is the new front frame painted wood? It looks very smooth!
Do the panels stay closed by themselves during travel?
Whats under that false bottom? (You can ignore this question if you prefer. <_<)

Anyway, Nice work and thanks for sharing it.

Gordon