Paint! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
I'm trying to keep my costs down. I'm now thinking that this year I will polish and wax her up nice and then in a year or two possibly look at painting. The body is really not that bad... Will have to have a closer inspection though.

Lilly The Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300

Old 03-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #16

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
As long as you stay dry inside, that is the main thing. Rebuilding these trailers can really drain the pocketbook, that's for sure.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
Ok so new paint question. Can I use house pain on the inside insulation and fiberglass?

Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I only use "House Paint" (aka Interior Latex) on wood surfaces. It's primarily held in place by air pressure and may not do well on the flexible insulation.

There are a number of paints for Auto Upholstery that may work. Here is a vendor:
<<<jjautoupholstery.com>>>
Old 03-05-2015, 10:49 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
Thanks Bob for the info, the link didn't really tell me much but I gather that a vinyl paint is what I should use on the insulation fabric?

Old 03-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The key to successfully repainting the interior insulation is first prep, making sure it is very clean. They use a high adhesive primer, these types of primers are often used to paint over ceramic tile, this is followed by a high quality latex paint, latex breaths so it allows any moisture that penetrates the surface to evaporate, oil based or enamel paint will trap moisture and blister.

I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3 for the primer and "Rustoleum Painter’s Touch" for the final coat. These are both available at local home improvement stores.
Full details on repainting the interior are documented in the Cleaning and Decorating the interior tab on my website
Proud Canadian-Cleaning & Decorating
Ian G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Vynyl/Insulation Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettylilTrilly View Post
Thanks Bob for the info, the link didn't really tell me much but I gather that a vinyl paint is what I should use on the insulation fabric?

If you call Joe at J&J Auto Fabrics, and tell him what you want to paint, he will suggest the best product for the surface, including a brand name and any prep you need to do first. You can also send him a small sample for evaluation. Very good peeps at J&J...

I repainted the entire inside of a Sunrader FGRV with what he recommended and, 5 years later, it's still looking great.

A Caution..... Autosuply store vinyl/upholstery sprays aren't the same quality as what you get from a commercial supplier. Get the right stuff the first time (it will cost a bit more) and you won't have to do it again 3 years later.

Tags
paint, trillium